Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New insurance

Thinking of switching RV insurance. Nationwide had great quote and appears to have all the basis covered,including full replacement. Anybody have experience with them and claims
Thx:
Gary
Gwood5254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No problems with the company, but after the first year my rates steadily increased until they were no longer competitive. I switched in year 3.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No problems with the company, but after the first year my rates steadily increased until they were no longer competitive. I switched in year 3.
Same for me. Had them for 3 years and rates doubled. Switched to Geico and save a ton.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

All insurance companies raise rates after they lure you in. It's best to get new quotes every few years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

I was able to put a rider through State Farm which was very reasonable... don’t want to have to use it ... fingers crossed
BMJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Geico

Geico hands down was the least expensive for me. Also I had a front window full replacement at $5500 and they didnt bat an eye. The next year they only went up $10 a month on me because of the claim.
bobeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Allstate premiums went down $250 this year and we're getting rebates reducing it further.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Insurers have armies of statisticians who ferret out what factors best indicate future risk. These days there is very little relationship between premiums and a previous claim. Repeated or egregious violations (maybe a DUI) might have an effect, but garden variety accidents are rarely more than a blip. Your locale (zip code), credit rating, employment and marital status typically carry a lot more weight in the premium calculation than your driving record.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #9

I had an old 1998 Bounder MH that was totaled a couple years back by Hurricane Dorian. Progressive was our insurance company at the time and they paid book value, more than $18,000. The MH was in rough condition and I was afraid they were going to low-book me. No complaints with their settlement.

I replaced the MH with a newer travel trailer. Progressive's rate was way too high, so now I'm insured through Safeco. I hope if I read any bad reviews on them, it'll be before I have to make a claim.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:15 AM   #10

I've given this comment before but it's worth repeating. Get your insurance based on the companies policy service NOT the lowest rate or cutest commercials. If you have to make a claim rest assured that Jake, Flo or a lizard won't be there for you. I have USAA and in some areas they don't have the lowest rate but any claims I've had through the years were promptly and fairly handled. My last was actually hail damages on the house and they paid for a roof replacement. I added some more to that and got metal so hail won't be an issue anymore. I did have one minor at fault accident in the motorhome a few years ago, that portion farmed to Progressive, and the handling of the claim was painless except for the premium rise the next year. My fault and I paid the premium.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Exact same experience.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First year rates were great, 2nd year they went up a little and 3rd year a big increase. Went shopping and found much better rates. I think they try to get you on the cheap rates and hope you are too lazy to change after that.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance