Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New Jersey Turnpike

I'm traveling the NJT (going north) for the umpteen time right now.

Several things started my memory trail of this fantastic piece of highway construction. All 118 miles of it was built in two years, for $255 million, completed in 1952! I was a young man when I first drove on it enroute to my first Air Force assignment in 1954. It was designed for a speed of 75 mph (Northern part slightly less).

What impressed me most yesterday is that I can actually use my cruise control on my MH (another extensive topic of discussion on this forum) without all the screeming downshifts I usually incur during travel on interstate highways. I noticed yesterday that almost all intersecting roads were "passed over" the Turnpike vs. Interstate overpasses rising above these roads.

Here is a history of the NJT if you are interested in reading about it.

You can sit back and enjoy your cruise down this great highway, and even stop and get a Nathan's hot dog- and fuel up for some of the consistently lowest prices in the country.

Now, if we could have more courteous drivers using it--

Cheers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
That must mean you are headed north Max. The black flies are waiting!!!!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
The New Jersey way! Finished in 1952 and we're STILL paying for it!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back in 56-57 used many times going back and forth to Fort Belvoir, VA. to see DW weekends.
Than shipped to Alaska.
Returned to highway back in 80's to go to Florida many times over 18 year period.
No black flys MA. & N.H. border.
Have a safe trip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Red face

Yup Bill,

We're North bound to Maine.

Tomorrow it's a stop at West Point (Round Pond) Famcamp area. I keep looking for ghosts of Pershing, MacArthur, Eisenhower, Patton, etc. Maybe someday I'll catch a glimpse of one- .

We don't have black flies on the coast at Booth Bay Harbor- Mosquitoes are a different story- . That Lake you live on must have em, huh?

Cheers,
Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Back in 56-57 used many times going back and forth to Fort Belvoir, VA. to see DW weekends.
Than shipped to Alaska.
Returned to highway back in 80's to go to Florida many times over 18 year period.
No black flys MA. & N.H. border.
Have a safe trip.
For me it was 57-58 going to and from Fort Dix to earn my $76 per month.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Chuck,

We're at Ft Dix right now. They have a small RV park on the post on Willow Pond.

The bases were combined about 1-2 years ago. They are now known as "Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst". The commander is a female Air Force Brig. General. She stands all of 5 feet tall, and looks like someones teen age daughter. How things have changed over the years.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Hey Chuck,

We're at Ft Dix right now. They have a small RV park on the post on Willow Pond.

The bases were combined about 1-2 years ago. They are now known as "Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst". The commander is a female Air Force Brig. General. She stands all of 5 feet tall, and looks like someones teen age daughter. How things have changed over the years.
Nobody looked that good when I was there. Just a bunch of hairy legged cranky guys mostly yelling ! And then there was the lovely, Wrightstown.
I'm sure your having a better time than I did. Have fun Max !
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chuck,

I just can't let this go--

Here are pictures of the Commanding General here at McGuire, Ft Dix, Lakehurst from this weeks base newspaper.

God bless America-
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Max,
Looks like there have been a few changes since I was there. Can you imagine being invited to complain to the C.O. if somthings not going well.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

One of the things I have always appreciated about the NJTP is that they keep their fuel competitive with the local communities. mSometimes the same price, sometimes lower; but, i have never seen it higher. Not so with their western neighbor of Pennsylvania; you can always count on spending more per gallon on the PA Turnpike than you will in neighboring communities---and we are not talking just a penny or 2 difference. The same goes for the New York Turuway where there the name of the game is how much will these stupid drivers pay before mthey yell uncle-here the difference is mega cents per gallon as compared with the local communities which ain't no bargain either. Moral of the story is if you are passing through the area fuel up in NJ and if at all humanly
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Having spent four years in New England going to college and commuting back to Florida for the summers and school holidays, I find I like taking I-81 much better than the NJT. It may have more hills, but it's cheaper and the traffic is less!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #13

There is major construction going on now on the NJT - the car/trucks lanes are being extended on both the north and south bound sides. Traffic seems to keep moving around and through the construction and they have been working quickly. This has meant changes at exits and also changes on roads and highways that cross the NJT.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
The New Jersey way! Finished in 1952 and we're STILL paying for it!
Just like anything thats is paid for, it then needs to be maintained just like your RV or your own person
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote