Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Thumbs down New member, but for how long?

I am new to this forum and do not currently own an RV. I have long thought about getting an RV and touring the US, particularly the Southwest, for two or three months. The sticking point is my wife -- she loves our house and I haven't been able to convince her that living and traveling in an RV would be an adventure.

What I have been looking at is something about a 35' Class A, most likely used, and I have seen a bunch available in my area (Massachusetts) in the $40k to $75k range. Sleeping space is not important as it is only the two of us plus our dog, but going from a 4,000+ sq ft house is going to be tough enough without trying to make do with something smaller than about 35'.

Any suggestions on readingmaterial or other sources I can use to try to convince my wife it would be fun?

I can always search the forum for advice on what to buy once I have her on board.

Thinking in terms of late spring for this possible trip. We are both past 75, so if we are going to do it it probably needs to be sooner rather than later.
DEklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

My wife, son and our fur babies (5) are keeping our house as a home base. Southern California during summer. Then eastern states during their summer.
mhshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

Heck, for the first year she can babysit the house while you go have a great adventure ..

When you come back looking refreshed, relaxed and happy, show her pictures of all the places you went with your smiling face. She will beat you to the RV the next season. ...they hate when you have fun without them
Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never got to find out if the late DW could let go of the house and flower beds, she died before it came up.
Trying to clean up stuff from my parents, her parents, the two grandsons we inherited when her daughter died (one still at home with me) and 30+ years of accumulation including Hummels, display cases, treadle sewing machines etc. Might not get it done this year either but need to get moving as I'm 71 now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you are willing to spend 40-70K, and you aren't sure it will be a good fit, why not rent something?
Even Bob Munro got his family to like the RV life in the movie. Watch it (RV, the movie) and you will probably even pick up a few pointers on what NOT to do!!
Happy Glamping..
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

I'd say your best bet is to work up to a longer trip. Right now, my fiancée loves short trips on the weekends and wants to do a week long trip soon. She loves that it amounts to a hotel suite on wheels and you don't have to live out of suitcases like a typical road trip.

Eventually, I see us doing longer excursions in the summers. Perhaps running the Al-Can. It would be the second time for me and first for her. But where we live right now, it'd be an eight-day run each way.
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #7

There are a ton of RV travel blogs on YouTube; check 'em out. Lots of folks doin' it part-time and full-time.

One thing I don't get about travel blogs on you tube-who wants to look at some talking head for 20 min explain how do dump your sewer? Point the camera at the sewer, or landscape, or dog!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

2 people in a 4000 sq ft house. Jeez, do you even run in to each other very often?

Just rent something nice when the weather is nice and go on a 2 week trip to no more than 1 or two places with lots to see. Then rent a car while there.
She'll either like it or hate it, and you can plan from there.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #9

It sounds like you have been looking at RV's but have you gotten your wife into any of them. Some of them are very fancy inside and some are plain. Perhaps if you could convince her to go to an RV/Camping show in your area to look at what is available she would warm up to the idea. I hesitate to suggest you go to a dealer to look at used units. When we were looking at used motorhomes the ones on the dealers lots looked like dirty motel rooms. They often don't clean them until they actually sell.

Even with a nice home there is nothing like looking out your windows at a beautiful mountain range then a few days later a beautiful lake view, then a few days later......... There's so much to see and learn when traveling this great country of ours.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Well, as usual I forgot half of what I intended to say. First, welcome to IRV2. This is great place to ask questions. If you don't get helpful answers here you won't get them anywhere.

Second, space will be an issue. We have 2 fur babies in a fairly small motorhome. My wife loves the space. I find it confining but we really aren't in the unit a lot once we reach our destination. We are out seeing the sights or spending time in the outdoors
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I cant understand why people who have never RV'd, think it's a good idea to sell their home, and go full time !
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #12

OP said 3-4 month trip to southwest, not full-time. I think give up house was temporary, not sell.
LaSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Why not rent and take your wife on a nice vacation with it. At the end of the trip You will know whether or not she will be okay with this change.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Suggestion...Say nothing to the wife.....
Go by yourself and "tour" a few "Upper Crust" Motor coaches, find one or three that have the same or nearly the same amenities as your sticks & bricks.... something in the 36 to 40' range..keep mum about them
Then .....
Subscribe to several Motorcoach magizines.... leave open to pages of neat or interesting parts & sights around the country..keep mum just let it lay..
On your laptop..bookmark web sites such as
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
https://www.rvparky.com/
pull up a interesting campground and leave it up when you are out and about...keep mum..let it lay

Then leave those sites up when you are out of the house and...
sooner or later you will find that she is wandering around looking to see what you have been looking at....
Also get a few coach sales web sites (only those which have the best interior pictures of what they have for sale) such as..

this is one for example...there are others...
Don't worry if they are a ways from your home..you are just "planting the seeds"

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

Then leave the pic of a motorhome showing a washer and dryer up, or a really good shot of a fully decked out bathroom/bedroom or living room then the galley showing the fridge/cooktop/oven & sink
and again, stay mum ...just let it lay....

Have patience ..she will get curious..and ask questions....
Took a while but worked for me....

Note!
@ your age you really don't need to be dealing with hookup & drops and towing with a 5th wheel or Travel trailer do you?

Happy Hunting...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags