Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

New Member in Afghanistan

My home is in Cordova, TN, but I am currently working as a contractor in Afghanistan and, considering the current economic situation, have my house on the market and had decided to move into an apartment.

I am working on having zero debt which is why I'm trying to sell the house. However, I have just recently considered buying a RV outright and using it for my home.

I am trying to find information on what I'm considering doing. I have been looking at all types but have narrowed it down to Class A, Class C or Travel Trailer. I have a Honda Ridgeline truck which is paid for so I can't consider a 5th wheel trailer. The Ridgeline truck limits the size of travel trailer I could pull, it's limited at 5K lbs.

Then there's the engine consideration, gas or diesel, fred or pusher, I just don't know. I'm also trying to figure out who the quality manufacturers are and which one's are so-so.

This is all new to me and hope these forums will point me in the right direction.
amprecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amprecon View Post
My home is in Cordova, TN, but I am currently working as a contractor in Afghanistan and, considering the current economic situation, have my house on the market and had decided to move into an apartment.

I am working on having zero debt which is why I'm trying to sell the house. However, I have just recently considered buying a RV outright and using it for my home.

I am trying to find information on what I'm considering doing. I have been looking at all types but have narrowed it down to Class A, Class C or Travel Trailer. I have a Honda Ridgeline truck which is paid for so I can't consider a 5th wheel trailer. The Ridgeline truck limits the size of travel trailer I could pull, it's limited at 5K lbs.

Then there's the engine consideration, gas or diesel, fred or pusher, I just don't know. I'm also trying to figure out who the quality manufacturers are and which one's are so-so.

This is all new to me and hope these forums will point me in the right direction.
I would love to live full time in my RV. You need to decide what you want to do while living in it. If you want to travel, I would go Class A diesel and a car to tow. If not traveling get a comfortable trailer or 5er and park it.
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #3

Welcome aboard Amprecon. I hear you when you say it is time to prepare. The wife and I have been “Fultimers” for 7 years now and love every minute of it. We wouldn’t move back into a house if you gave us one. From an economic stand point it is the best thing we ever did. You will always spend as much as you make (just one of life’s rules) But to head South in the cold winter and spend $ 1,000.00 for lot rent the 4 months of winter then head North for 6 months at a cost of $ 1,700.00 for lot rent is a dream. We still have to pay electric but that is controllable at about $ 65.00/month. Our fuel costs over a year’s time runs us around $ 2,500.00 to $ 3,000.00 depending on what we decide to do. (If we have the cash we spend it) see above. There is a lot to learn before you go Fultime and EVERONE is different just like in any community but if you really need to slam on the brakes when it comes to being able to cut costs I will tell you NOTHING will beat Fultime RVing. Another HUGE advantage is you are not locked into a local job market. There is nothing stopping you at anytime going where the work is.
We chose a motorhome and a tow vehicle to start our journey. Don’t even think new. Get as much coach as you can without going in neck deep debt. Our first rig was an entry level gas 38’er that was 9 years old. It ran well and we got it at a reasonable price. We would still have it today but we had a chance to move up 8 years, down 45,000 miles and get a high end diesel pusher so we jumped. See “You will always spend as much as you make”. Greatly because we can save money for the first time in our lives and without scrimping we were able to pay CASH for our second coach.
Hope this gives you some insight. Heads up and listen to the responses you will get a powerhouse of knowledge from “The Forums”
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You say you live in Tn. Do you plan on staying there when you return? Do you plan on roaming from place to place? I spend some of my winter in South TX and have done the same in AZ and Fl. The rest of the time I am in my stiks and bricks. One of the things I have noticed is the Park Models that are anywhere from RV size to double wides and are semi permant in the RV parks. They require special handling if you intend on moving them but owing a vehicle to move them is not required. Since they are not moved (often or never) the lot rent is decided on a yearly basis rather than nightly of monthly. There are also many retiree's that will drive their 5th wheels or trailers to a park and keep them there year round without the need to have a vehicle to move them. Whenever they do require a move they hire or ask someone with proper equiptment to do it for them. Knowing what your intentions are before you make the decision will save you some headaches!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
You say you live in Tn. Do you plan on staying there when you return? Do you plan on roaming from place to place? I spend some of my winter in South TX and have done the same in AZ and Fl. The rest of the time I am in my stiks and bricks. One of the things I have noticed is the Park Models that are anywhere from RV size to double wides and are semi permant in the RV parks. They require special handling if you intend on moving them but owing a vehicle to move them is not required. Since they are not moved (often or never) the lot rent is decided on a yearly basis rather than nightly of monthly. There are also many retiree's that will drive their 5th wheels or trailers to a park and keep them there year round without the need to have a vehicle to move them. Whenever they do require a move they hire or ask someone with proper equiptment to do it for them. Knowing what your intentions are before you make the decision will save you some headaches!
Agree with above. If your plan would be to set up in a park and stay maybe six month or a year or such, you can just hire the occasional move. You can find a nice size 5er and live in that. Then keep your Honda and you would be good to go. Whichever way you choose, best of luck on your return to the big BX.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I want to live as cheaply as possible and don't want to stay in Memphis. I like to travel, so I would see moving frequently. But to go that route I figured it'd cost me $60K for a capable truck and trailer.
At $1K a month in an apartment, I could live there for 5 years before I'd spend $60K on rent. I'm not so sure the truck trailer would last that long without spending a bunch to keep them both going while on the move all the time.
amprecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cost savings in RV living only comes from paying outright for a less expensive RV and staying put where the rent is cheap.

The moment you enter the drive-alot full-timing, yer costs of maintenance and everything will go up.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Welcome aboard Amprecon. I hear you when you say it is time to prepare. The wife and I have been “Fultimers” for 7 years now and love every minute of it. We wouldn’t move back into a house if you gave us one. From an economic stand point it is the best thing we ever did. You will always spend as much as you make (just one of life’s rules) But to head South in the cold winter and spend $ 1,000.00 for lot rent the 4 months of winter then head North for 6 months at a cost of $ 1,700.00 for lot rent is a dream. We still have to pay electric but that is controllable at about $ 65.00/month. Our fuel costs over a year’s time runs us around $ 2,500.00 to $ 3,000.00 depending on what we decide to do. (If we have the cash we spend it) see above. There is a lot to learn before you go Fultime and EVERONE is different just like in any community but if you really need to slam on the brakes when it comes to being able to cut costs I will tell you NOTHING will beat Fultime RVing. Another HUGE advantage is you are not locked into a local job market. There is nothing stopping you at anytime going where the work is.
We chose a motorhome and a tow vehicle to start our journey. Don’t even think new. Get as much coach as you can without going in neck deep debt. Our first rig was an entry level gas 38’er that was 9 years old. It ran well and we got it at a reasonable price. We would still have it today but we had a chance to move up 8 years, down 45,000 miles and get a high end diesel pusher so we jumped. See “You will always spend as much as you make”. Greatly because we can save money for the first time in our lives and without scrimping we were able to pay CASH for our second coach.
Hope this gives you some insight. Heads up and listen to the responses you will get a powerhouse of knowledge from “The Forums”
Ron
I agree with sidewinder, get as much as you can used, that gets you doing what you want and on the way in finding out if it's the path you really want to take, and without alot of debt. Sometimes the grass is greener, but it isn't for everyone. Low cost it first, check the water before jumping in.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote