Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

New purchase, finance dept come-ons

Just as it is w2hen one purchases a new car, you get past the salesman and "dickering" stage and finally get to the "Money" person. At this point they try to sell you extra stuff you really don't need and they make a TON of money on.
This person tried to sell me 3 things...a treatment for the glass that would actually prevent cracking and pitting!!, a "clear glaze" treatment for the exterior that would last "probably as long as I own the rig"!! and , this one defies logic, a plastic band that goes on the inside of the wheel so if you get a blow out it helps you not lose control???? How in hell is a plastic ring going to do that??? It does not even make sense. The "incredible" price if I purchase ALL THREE as a package was ONLY $7000 and change!!! Really, there are people that gullible I suppose. My glass guy can apply that same stuff for less than 200, i know because I have had him do many bath remodel projects for my company.
I did strike a great deal...30% off msrp on a Navion 24D. This is through Camping World. They even got a slightly better finance rate than I had been pre-approved for. The pre-approval is really what made them want to "deal".
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Camping World..May You have exceptional luck with any warranty issues.....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

A Company called Tyron has a system that consists of a steel band inside the tire to prevent the tire coming off the rim if you have a blow out. I was in charge of a fleet of over 7000 vehicles as my last assignment prior to retirement. We tested the Tyron and it actually works but the down side is it's VERY difficult to mount and dismount the tire. Additionally, they are very expensive.
To test them we had our Bomb Squad rig up explosives on the side walls of several tires then detonate the explosive when the vehicles were traveling at around 60 to 65 MPH. Once the detonation occurred we purposely swerved back and forth trying to make the tire come loose from the rim. It didn't happen. BTW, we detonated both front and back tires with the same results.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

I’ve always bought RVs from private party’s .
The times I’ve bought cars from dealers , before we go into finance guys office I inform them I just want to buy the car . If he try’s to sell me warranty’s scotch guard , anything , I’m walking . I’ve walked away from a deal more than a couple times .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
A Company called Tyron has a system that consists of a steel band inside the tire to prevent the tire coming off the rim if you have a blow out. I was in charge of a fleet of over 7000 vehicles as my last assignment prior to retirement. We tested the Tyron and it actually works but the down side is it's VERY difficult to mount and dismount the tire. Additionally, they are very expensive.
To test them we had our Bomb Squad rig up explosives on the side walls of several tires then detonate the explosive when the vehicles were traveling at around 60 to 65 MPH. Once the detonation occurred we purposely swerved back and forth trying to make the tire come loose from the rim. It didn't happen. BTW, we detonated both front and back tires with the same results.
Off road split rims have something like this, but it can be made out of ( correct dia) pvc piping. cut to correct length. then cut into two parts in a “gig saw cut pattern” far easier to mount and dismount, dot legal, probely not, but is great for locking the bead to the rim.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You should have started with Camping World. Wouldn't have to type much more after that. That place is a total joke.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
You should have started with Camping World. Wouldn't have to type much more after that. That place is a total joke.
What he said !!
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

I read VOLUMES about how lousy Camping World is or has been to deal with for folks. I suppose I will find out IF I have any major warranty issues but for typical stuff I am quite capable and confident I can fix anything needing fixed in the coach. I also checked the local Mercedes dealer(s) to find out their system and which one will work on MH Sprinters (They don't all have the space/lift capability). Short of ordering a unit and waiting 3-4 months for it to be built, this was absolutely the best deal I could find in 5 western states. It was also the ONLY Navion D eqipped exactly like I wanted and happened to be about 10 miles from my house! Pre-qualification had them falling all over themselves to make a deal INCLUDING financing. I actually got a slightly better rate than my pre-approved rate. I intend to pay the whole thing off early next year anyway. The sales dude flat out told me they would come off at least 3000 if I used their financing because they can make up that in the financing. I did not tell him I will pay it off very soon!
One reason I selected Winnebago is their openness with drawings and tech data on their units PLUS they MAKE most of their own parts. I can purchase parts directly from them if I need to. I do not purchase extended warranties at the time of vehicle purchase. Why pay for something that is free the first year or more anyway? There are plenty of warranty programs available at that time, many from the manufacturer themselves!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

Camping World is attempting to model their RV dealerships like the big national auto/truck dealership chains. They'll also get you for a big Documentary Fee--straight profit they're not paying salesmen commissions on. And the back end profits are just as high as the front end profits--if that makes sense.

The difference is that many of the national car dealership chains know what they're doing. Camping World went through the country purchasing large RV dealerships and paying the owners much more than their businesses were actually worth. They have to have much higher profit margins to make up for their investments. First thing they do is throw very high sales and profit goals on local management, and heads turn if their objectives are not met. Look up and it's a 100% new personnel place.

The RV business is not the car business. It's built on more personal relationships and returning customers. C/W does not appear to have satisfied customers, and it's doubtful that if they screw them on Finance and Insurance (back end), they'll ever see the buyers again.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I gotta ask, did you have live drivers in those rigs when you intentionally blew out front and rear tires at 65mph? Truck loaded or empty? How about when you applied the brakes?

Just the other day I was passing a tractor trailer when one of the tires blew out on the trailer. The noise was so loud I almost had to go home and change my underwear!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Be careful with that CW loan....many have found that trying to pay off early leads to a much higher price than the original loan amount....there are many articles about this on the internet....google them so you will be well informed before signing.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
I read VOLUMES about how lousy Camping World is or has been to deal with for folks. I suppose I will find out IF I have any major warranty issues but for typical stuff I am quite capable and confident I can fix anything needing fixed in the coach. I also checked the local Mercedes dealer(s) to find out their system and which one will work on MH Sprinters (They don't all have the space/lift capability). Short of ordering a unit and waiting 3-4 months for it to be built, this was absolutely the best deal I could find in 5 western states. It was also the ONLY Navion D eqipped exactly like I wanted and happened to be about 10 miles from my house! Pre-qualification had them falling all over themselves to make a deal INCLUDING financing. I actually got a slightly better rate than my pre-approved rate. I intend to pay the whole thing off early next year anyway. The sales dude flat out told me they would come off at least 3000 if I used their financing because they can make up that in the financing. I did not tell him I will pay it off very soon!
One reason I selected Winnebago is their openness with drawings and tech data on their units PLUS they MAKE most of their own parts. I can purchase parts directly from them if I need to. I do not purchase extended warranties at the time of vehicle purchase. Why pay for something that is free the first year or more anyway? There are plenty of warranty programs available at that time, many from the manufacturer themselves!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #12

I very specifically asked if there were ANY pre=payment penalties and was told no by 3 different people. I WILL look hard at the contract before I sign it though.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as you know how to say no you are ok. Soonest the F&I guy starts talking anything other than financing, I start saying no.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
.....Pre-qualification had them falling all over themselves to make a deal INCLUDING financing. I actually got a slightly better rate than my pre-approved rate. I intend to pay the whole thing off early next year anyway. The sales dude flat out told me they would come off at least 3000 if I used their financing because they can make up that in the financing. I did not tell him I will pay it off very soon!......
Forget anything you were told verbally. Read that finance agreement very carefully. Often that low rate comes with the condition that you can't payoff the loan in the first few years without incurring a penalty. That isn't just a CW thing it is becoming common place now in auto loans, consumer loans and home equity loans.

Tags
purchase