Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I'd like a new truck with safety features but can't find one. Maybe next year....
I got mine by going to the Chev site and doing a build. There is then an option to see dealer stock for what you built, or at least close to the options you want. It shows dealers all over the country that have the truck or have one in transit. Mine was shown to be in transit so I called the dealer and it was in fact in transit and available. A 1,000 deposit held it. That was Sept. 25th. Had it by Oct. 16th. Only paid MSRP, none of the crazy markups. And the dealer was only 200 miles away, so I got a little break in bringing it home.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 10:10 AM   #30

New class c's come with adaptive cruise.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #31

Winnebago Mobile Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
I know a lot of cars and trucks are coming with some lane assist and automatic emergency braking.

How well do the new systems for RV's work and do they help with driver fatigue at all?

I have a Tesla with autopilot but I don't expect the new RV systems to work that well.
2018 Winnebago 24J. Mobile eye can be annoying but those beeps are there for a reason: Lane Drifting is most of it, but also tells you when you are driving slow through a campground and a kid runs out in front of you. (of course you should be paying close attention anyway). Wife hates it (always beeping at something) but I love it and value every dollar I spent on it. What is a life worth ? My older system does not auto steer but my friend's does which he thinks is scary when driving in high cross winds. I think he disabled the auto steer function.
Sven55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The new systems are great, but nowhere near as responsive as the old system (the co-pilot). Talk about collision avoidance. I've run the two systems in parallel since we purchased our new coach and not only is the old system more responsive, but it is way more informative and instructive and provides both real time feedback and regular reviews of my performance behind the wheel. As a bonus, the old system also reviews the performance of others that we happen to be sharing the road with, including the aforementioned real time feedback.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #33

Wait till they start getting options like the Tesla full self drive assist. Thatíll keep your heart pumping. Kinda fun, but Iíll equate it to driving with a 16 year old with a learners license. It does pretty good albeit a little herky jerky. Driving thru traffic circles and 4 way stops gets the blood pumping though.

Point of interest, self driving gets disabled as soon as a trailer is connected to the 7 pin. Probably a good thing. .
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachdriver View Post
I consider driving on an open road relaxing. I cannot imagine driving a large RV or TT through a large city plus having to manage systems that is managing my driving.

If a system takes a load off me and reduces fatigue then I'm in, otherwise im concerned on getting reliant on a technology when were born with instincts.

What the industry should do is to install sensors and cameras on cars that will report you when:

1. Go through a red light.
2. Cut someone off.
3. Become a discourteous driver.

Maybe self ticket you or drive you to jail.

Ok, im being sarcastic on the cameras and sensors but really it would be nice to remove some of the inconsiderate drivers off the road.

I would prefer a system that warns and shows me a condition and allow me to respond. I'm not sure if I like systems taking over unless a tragic event is about to happen.

Amen to taking them straight to jail. Here in FL, we have the worst drivers in the US. Why? Because they all came from somewhere else and continue to drive as they did in their home state. I am convinced I am the only male in FL who drives the speed limit.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
Amen to taking them straight to jail. Here in FL, we have the worst drivers in the US. Why? Because they all came from somewhere else and continue to drive as they did in their home state. I am convinced I am the only male in FL who drives the speed limit.
Iím half-blind in one eye, the other is 20-80; my liver is shot; I need a walker just to get to the mailbox; Iíve had one kidney, seven teeth, and 6 feet of colon removed; I canít remember where I left the keys, but thank god I still have my Florida drivers license.
Backup RV: RANS Dynamik Duo tandem
JohnBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #36

Re: Driver assist systems - I'll say ! If you're making a right turn at the same time as someone in the opposite direction, Collision yells. When merging left at the end of a passing lane, Lane yells. If that last one reacted with automatic braking as well, merging will fail badly
GrammaJan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent