Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like the systems in our coach and in our last several cars. They were strange at first, but you get used to them. As others have said, they can be disabled. I think that drivers expect the assist features to react like they would. They don't. Some can be tuned, but for the most part they do their own thing. With all of the sensors, they know more precisely where they are in relation to other vehicles than we can.

I seem to play a lot with the following distance controls on the automatic cruise. It always seems to follow too close and too far all at the same time. I also don't appreciate the criticism I get when I cross the fog line with a rear tire (actually, I do). I finally got the warning distance set for vehicles in front. I call it my ding-a-ling alarm because it goes "ding" every time some ding-a-ling cuts into my lane too close in front of me. All-in-all happy with them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:29 AM   #16

My Sprinter Class-B motorhome has all of the driver safety features that you see on cars today. I like it, it works well and also has wind control...... if gusts are too high, the vehicle will slow down by applying the brakes for a few seconds. Not sure exactly how it detects the wind but it has happened a few times on windy interstate driving.

I bought a new 2022 SUV that has all of the safety feature too. As I get a little older, I appreciate that 'extra' set of eyes looking out for me although I enjoy my input in driving.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #17

Heck, they can't even get the faucets at the airport to work right all the time!
Old 04-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
PKI

RV crash prevention has been around since the start of the RV lifestyle. It's as easy as sitting an engaged navigator in the second seat and is greatly improved by driving in daylight and dropping from 400-800 miles a day to 200 miles or less.

If you are going to use current nannies, you have to "out think" them and integrate your driving responses to their programming. Have fun.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want some of this technology on an 'older' RV, check out Mobileye. Not cheap but does much of this. Also the better Garmin dash cams have lane keeping alerts, and forward collision alerts, too. The Garmins don't work quite as well as factory or Mobileye, but overall very usable.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
If you want some of this technology on an 'older' RV, check out Mobileye. Not cheap but does much of this. Also the better Garmin dash cams have lane keeping alerts, and forward collision alerts, too. The Garmins don't work quite as well as factory or Mobileye, but overall very usable.
This is what we have. I cannot go an inch out of the lane without a warning alarm. It also alerts when you are too close or someone cuts in front of you.

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Lets hope Lipperts not involved.
They have bought everything and everyone; so give them time. They have the money.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #22

I have a MobileEye that I want to install just as a safeguard. The lane assist in my car drives my crazy but I love the adaptive cruise control.
Clark clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #23

I have a 2019 F150 Lariat with Adaptive Cruise Control that I love but you do have to pay attention or you will find yourself going a lot slower than you want. I turned off lane maintaining feature that vibrates the steering wheel. The blind spot warning can be adjusted to the length of the trailer, at least on Fords .Don’t really care for the automatic breaking feature but that can’t be turned off.
Lorenclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #24

I consider driving on an open road relaxing. I cannot imagine driving a large RV or TT through a large city plus having to manage systems that is managing my driving.

If a system takes a load off me and reduces fatigue then I'm in, otherwise im concerned on getting reliant on a technology when were born with instincts.

What the industry should do is to install sensors and cameras on cars that will report you when:

1. Go through a red light.
2. Cut someone off.
3. Become a discourteous driver.

Maybe self ticket you or drive you to jail.

Ok, im being sarcastic on the cameras and sensors but really it would be nice to remove some of the inconsiderate drivers off the road.

I would prefer a system that warns and shows me a condition and allow me to respond. I'm not sure if I like systems taking over unless a tragic event is about to happen.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #25

The newer systems (360) we tried in a new NEWMAR KA seemed to work very well. That being said we would not be as secure as in the V90 Volvo which is PERFECT for "rush hour" traffic and pretty much eliminates all stop and go actions.
Demon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Don't know about motorhomes, but here is my assessment of the safety features of a 2022 loaded LTZ 3500 Chevrolet. Blind spot mirrors are great when unhitched, but really do nothing when pulling. Cars are already beside the trailer before the alert comes on. As far as the emergency braking under 50mph that the Chev has, I can't address that. Never had it come into play. I do like the lane departure alert. I especially like the cameras that show down the side of the trailer when the turn signals are activated, and I like that the truck checks the trailer lights and connections when the trailer is hooked up. Last, but not least, I like the "heads up display". Didn't think I would, but I find it very useful. I am sure I will like all of this less as soon as something fails, but right now it is all good.
I think Ford's blind spot feature allows you to include the trailer. Seems like a good idea!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I think Ford's blind spot feature allows you to include the trailer. Seems like a good idea!
Blind spot for the Chev with a trailer is activated when the trailer is plugged in, but it is a camera that comes on and shows down the side of the trailer when the turn signal is activated, it is not the blind side alert that is in the mirror.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #28

Interesting! The cameras seem useful. I don't know how Ford's works. I'd like a new truck with safety features but can't find one. Maybe next year....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent