Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

New RV pricing

Okay, we've had a TT for 4 yr's now which we bought used and from a private individual.
Possibly want a new different one.
Went yesterday to a local show and then to a dealer that did not participate in the show.
My question is how much more mark up is on the final so called reduced or discounted price?
Example: MSRP $43,175
discount - 12,000
our price- 31,175 plus tax and fee's
Now what get's me is one guy said that's what the manufacturer suggest's (MSRP) well that's fine, if your discounting right away to 31 without me even negotiating what will your best price be, and he come's back with we've already knocked off 12,000.
I hate dealing, but I want a fair price for me and the dealer.
So how do I decide I'm not gouged and he can still make a buck?
How do I know what the dealer paid, that's what I'd like to know for sure, I realize they gotta make some but what's fair, he say's they don't really use NADA they use the bank's number's, what's that about.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

It is not your responsibility for the seller to make a buck. Get on the internet and search for the specific tt you are interested in. Use that as a gauge.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

There's no way a dealer is going to advertise his rock bottom price. The balls in your court offer lower than 31k or what ever you are comfortable with.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

I've found that you can typically find the best prices when the RV show is going on. He's offered you a 28% discount of the stated MSRP. Not bad. Most buyers report getting 25-30% off MSRP, and every once in a great while, you'll hear of someone getting more that 30% off.

Another negotiating tactic would be to see what other items you can get the dealer to throw in the deal at no cost. New hitch? Solar? Upgraded accessories (water hose, sewer hose, chocks, etc.)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Dealer is selling TT at 28% discount. That is a reasonable discount, but I'm not saying that's the best for 2015 model. If it's a 2014, discount should be much better. Search RVTrader, to find others pricing. Always offer less and hold to it to get better discount. Be prepared to walk and leave your phone number. If they will not call or go down you will still know you got a decent discount.

Good Luck

Edit: BadDogPSP, posted while I was typing and we both say the same. He has a great idea to get needed equipment thrown in.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Okay great thank's to your response's,
If it's a left over 2014 your thinking more than 30%, how much more, wouldn't the dealer want to hold to a higher price on a left over because of interest and storage.
How do I know if a manufacturer is offering any incentive's?
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

If it's a left over 2014 he is probably paying a floor plan on it (note to the manufacturer) until it's sold. If so the quicker he sells it the better off he is. As others have said check the pricing on the same model & deal from there. When I bought my fifth wheel local dealer said he couldn't go any lower on price. I told him I found the same unit in Indiana for $3500.00 less & would drive to get it. He came down a little more but switched out the furniture for leather recliners, installed a TV in the bedroom & a couple other things. Don't be afraid to push it's your money.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Check around to see if the MSRP is a real number. Some play games and inflate the figure.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Check around to see if the MSRP is a real number. Some play games and inflate the figure.
^^^^This, some dealers make up their own MSRP and call it the manufactures MSRP. Beware
Old 02-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
All a big game.

Back 3 years ago my local dealer had the new floorplan (26. hybrid tt) we wanted. His offer was my 05' tt trade (25' hybrid) plus $19.5k. I didn't think this was a very good offer. This was mid summer as the new models were coming out. For 6 months they wouldn't budge on the price. Every month my saleslady would call and ask if I was ready to sign. I said are you ready to move on the price? otherwise I talk to you again next month.

At the RV show 6 months later, still wouldn't move on the price much. So once we were satisfied that was the floorplan we wanted and what options, I got on the web, called a dealer that sold the same unit 2 hours away. His price with my trade was....$9800....You got to be kidding??? Told him I would be out the next day. Called my dealer and said I'll give you 24 hours to give me your "best and final offer". They called back 6 times, each time going down another $1k ($15.5k + my trade was the best they could do, so they say?). So for a almost $6k difference I drove the 2 hours. Had to order the unit and wrote it in the contract, if I sold my 05' tt before the 6 week build date, I'll just pay the difference. Ended up selling it for $2k more than the average trade value ( $6,500) on Craigslist, both dealers were going to give me. No financing was needed...

It just be-bungles me, my dealer who I bought from before, knowing I'll pay cash on the spot would keep high-balling me. MSRP was around $26k...ended up paying (with tax) $16.3k out the door...So they sold that unit for about $15k.

One side note. Ordered it (2012 tt) in feb 2012, picked it up March 30st 2012. But they said they were done building 2012 models and gave me a 2013. So on March 2012 I got a 2013 RV.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #11

Sounds like you are getting a fair deal, but like others said it doesn't hurt to ask for more. You will know when you get below their threshold, and like said it's not your worry on how much they make. Ballpark is to divide the MSRP by 1.4 and that should come close to their cost on the trailer/Mh ect. That does not include any factory incentives which is most likely what they are relying on to make a profit. The factory really doesn't want to see the 2014's sitting on lots for extended periods of time after the 2015's come out either, not good for advertising.

Using my figures he is about $30,839 into the trailer, so he is making $336 plus factory incentives, which could be a few thousand dollars. Looks like you are getting a 28% discount which is really good at that pricepoint. I would say they are not BS'ing you. My info comes from my brother in law who owns his own dealership, and these are ballpark figures(but pretty close as you can see). When we bought ours (he doesn't sell Newmar's) we used this formula and it was pretty accurate, the dealer(owner) showed us his invoice and he was only making a few thousand + factory incentives on our deal.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote