Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Of all the units we have had over the years, we only regretted one, a Forest River 28’ TT. It was too big (long) for our Durango though all the weights were fine. It just got to the point we didn’t want to drive it anywhere. Sold it and bought a TrailManor. Liked that one and all the subsequent trailers we have had. We just kept getting different ones when our needs changed. Now we are just about to send off for quotes on a Tiffin Class A. I can hardly wait for summer!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #30

I wouldn't say I regret buying our TT, but my wife is more into it than I am. We do get to use it some and will be taking a cross country trip in April. I think my problem is lack of time to really enjoy it and I have other interests that I like better. I am an avid offroader and try to get out as much as I can. We also have a hobby farm along with me still working on average 60 hrs a week. So as you can see I don't have a lot of spare time, but my wife loves it. As you know happy wife happy life. Maybe when I retire in 13-15 years I will have more time.
hitekrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bought a new 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35K, we love the layout of the motor home and it is great except. The factory does a ****** job of putting them together, and it is sure a pain to get all the items repaired by the selling dealer. Never again I will buy one a couple of years old and then someone else has had the problems and had them fised by the time I get it.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #32

This post brings a smile to my face. So often we hear nothing but complaints on our choices of RV's; this is wrong, or this needs to be fixed, the dealer lied to me, or I bought a lemon. Not often enough do we hear how much each of us enjoys or RV's and the fun we have with them.

Like so many others in here, I love mine. Researched and bought what I wanted. Last two purchases have been new and off the lot, don't regret either one. Like most of the comments we are always looking for our next RV even though we are happy with the one we are in. 😁
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well, I like my rig but hate the upkeep. I figure $35,000 in two years. Over $22,000 just in one engine rebuild, $8,000 in new tires and TPMS sensors. Another $1200 in new batteries. Still need to install a new transfer switch and get the SmartWheel fixed. Oh yes, theres the intermittent leak into a storage bay from the frame inside the bay.
Should have kept the '02 DSDP!
An ESP might be something to consider. It won't cover tires and batteries but will cover other mechanical failures. We just had a new rear AC covered, less deductible. Repairs and maintenance are part of the deal no matter what brand you own. Best bet if that bugs you would be to sell it, it's never gonna change.

Based on a visual observation of marinas and storage yards, I'd say 90% of owners rarely use their toys. What some people pay to store isn't worth 6 months rent.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
....Based on a visual observation of marinas and storage yards, I'd say 90% of owners rarely use their toys. What some people pay to store isn't worth 6 months rent.

I think your estimate is pretty good. The folks at the storage where we keep our TT between trips told me our trailer is about the only one that ever leaves the facility and it seems like ours is out more than in. They mentioned one brand new huge DP was brought in by the owner straight from the dealer after purchase and had not moved in months.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #35

Purchased a new class c was a mistake for us. 6 months later traded it to purchased the Plazzo WOW what a difference. Could of saved some money if we went to the Plazzo first.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
I have been full timing in my 04 Inspire 40ft DP for 7 years now. Add the car trailer and I'm 65ft long. Driving this small train hasn't been much of a problem. (I do have a couple of funny stories I'll have to share another time). It was 6 years old when I bought it and my first DP. I've always fixed most of my stuff, so the coach was in good shape and over the years I have been able to fix and maintain everything. THANKS TO THIS FORUM!
The only problems with size have been finding RV parks to accommodate a lengthy stay. And now, a lot of parks have this 10 year or newer rule. I made and installed some HID headlights for those parks, it looks like a 2011 model, LOL! I will start a new thread about my current dilemma about replacing or refurbing.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
An ESP might be something to consider. It won't cover tires and batteries but will cover other mechanical failures.
Not worth the almost $10,000 cost now that the engine is rebuilt.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #38

Bought a pop-up in 1985.
Wife was against it because of bad memories of her parents fighting because of a travel trailer.
First month trip, she was sold.
Used seven weeks a year for over 30 years.

Just bought our first motorhome (Class C)
After the first 4 week trip, the wife said this was the best financial decision we have ever made.
Guess she likes it OK.

We did rent a larger class C years ago so we knew what we were in for before purchase. The rental was 29 foot. We bought a 22 foot, no slide.
After 12 weeks on the road, we couldn't be happier.
Can't wait for retirement so we can take even longer trips.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not worth the almost $10,000 cost now that the engine is rebuilt.
$10K? Our ESP is less than $1200/year. The AC cost more than that. Don't wait until that ISX explodes again. Twice already, right?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #40

The first rv was 35 foot gas. We used it as a learning experience. Did not care for how loud the engine screamed going up hill.
Now have a DP and have had electrical problems with the inverter charger
Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Only regrets I have had are after doing my research on price, making an offer on the last two RV's and having the selling party say OK without batting an eye. Now that's known or just learning you just left money on the table.

LEN
Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Yeah, I think the better question is who's willing to admit they made an expensive mistake?

I like my current rig, but won't deny that I find myself looking at others all the time.

As far as the lifestyle (full time) - no regrets. Wish work didn't intrude.
I agree. We bought our first RV about seven months ago. I thought I had done my research, but you don't know what you don't know. We talked ourselves out of some features we now wished we had (1.5 baths, bunks, 2nd a/c). Now that we have traveled about 6000 miles, we wished we had those things, but an upgrade now wouldn't be financially smart with the depreciation on the one we have (plus we probably paid more than we should have). That's all my own fault. Having said that, any issues the motorhome has had so far are minor, nothing that would keep us off the road and we have thoroughly enjoyed our first several months of RVing.
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote