Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I get a good chuckle from people I speak to who wouldn't run 'China bombs' on anything they own, then I point out they ARE running 'China bombs', the only difference is they paid a LOT more for them because they have some 'brand name' on them.
I upset a lady recently when I pointed out that my Samsons mounted and balanced(Counteract) cost me less each than the FMCA discount on each of her Michelins. Well, she brought it up...
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
The last set of Michelins I bought had serious sidewall cracks in all six in three years. And I do mean LAST Set.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #31

Sampson tires

My coach came with 2012 Sampson tires sold by a RV dealer in Mesa, AZ. They are now 5 years old and seem to be doing just fine. I keep all six tires at 110 psi......which is what is recommended for a 32,000 lb. rig. Drives down the road almost by itself......no problems.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #32

Michelins came on my motorhome, I replaced them with Michelins at 6 1/2 years since they had been very good. At 3 years had a blow out on a front tire, took it back to dealer who said it was damaged. I ask that he show me damage, he couldn't and I was told to contact Michelin. Michelin told me to go back to the tire dealer and have him call them. Tire dealer examined the tire, took pictures and said he could not contact Michelin and instructed me to have Michelin call him. Michelin did not respond to 3 emails sent in a 2 month time frame. In the future I will not use Michelin.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I just pulled a nice looking Goodyear off our international shuttle truck that did the same thing.
It's not just Chinese junk anymore that's the problem.
Truck drove great didn't pull right or left , kingpins are solid.
Sure did start causing quite a vibration at medium speeds that's for sure
Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Michelins came on my motorhome, I replaced them with Michelins at 6 1/2 years since they had been very good. At 3 years had a blow out on a front tire, took it back to dealer who said it was damaged. I ask that he show me damage, he couldn't and I was told to contact Michelin. Michelin told me to go back to the tire dealer and have him call them. Tire dealer examined the tire, took pictures and said he could not contact Michelin and instructed me to have Michelin call him. Michelin did not respond to 3 emails sent in a 2 month time frame. In the future I will not use Michelin.
This may be a silly question but, how easy is it to determine the cause of a blown out tire? I imagine it's obvious at times but i'd think that in many actual blow outs, it might be tough to say specifically what caused it. Believe it or not, it might not be the tire's fault.

Being only 3 years old, it would be nice if Michelin helped. But like passenger car tires, i wouldn't think it likely unless a manufacturing defect in the tire had been found. Of course, a road hazard warranty would have taken care of it but i'm not sure that is even offered on our tires. I know it wasn't on the tires i purchased in 2015 because i asked.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
This may be a silly question but, how easy is it to determine the cause of a blown out tire? I imagine it's obvious at times but i'd think that in many actual blow outs, it might be tough to say specifically what caused it. Believe it or not, it might not be the tire's fault.

Being only 3 years old, it would be nice if Michelin helped. But like passenger car tires, i wouldn't think it likely unless a manufacturing defect in the tire had been found. Of course, a road hazard warranty would have taken care of it but i'm not sure that is even offered on our tires. I know it wasn't on the tires i purchased in 2015 because i asked.
The best person to answer your question is Tireman9/Roger Marble.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #36

Don't have a MH, but 17.5s on my last Suites and 19.5s on my 450. All Sailun. Trip to AK on the truck/trailer and no problems. At 70k+ on the 450, still have good tread left.
For balancing, I have used Centramatics on the Suites and 450 for last 5 years, no lead weights. Check out Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
When I bought my coach last year the seller put on 6 new Sampson tires. The coach always pulled to the right a little. I thought it needed to be lined up. Well two weeks ago we headed to the Kootneys in Southern BC. The coach started pulling harder to the right and would shake between 45-55 mph. I took another close look at the tires and found one that was real bad. It was choppy on the inside and outside edges and had different heights when running my hands down the treads. Turned out it had a belt coming apart. These tires are less than 2 years old and less than 10000 miles. More Chinese junk . I would never waste my money on those tires. I put to new Michelins on the front of the coach. It drove like we were on a cloud. No pulling and no shaking and smooth as silk. My advice would be to stay away from Sampson tires.
Cool RV!
T-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #38

Bought our Country Coach with Sampson tires on it in 2015. Date on the tires is June 2012. Drove it from Meza, AZ to Northern Michigan. Since then have put 3,000 miles on the tires. My friend has the same coach with Goodyear tires, and said my coach drives and rides just like his. Have read lots of articles about large RV'S and tires. Seems to me that for the most part there are good tires by all manufacturers and once in awhile they all have a poor one come through.
daryl989mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just rolled over 10,000 miles on our 8 Sampson tires purchased 4 years ago. I run them at 110 psi. Never a problem. 1 more year and I'll start replacing them since I don't cover them.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires