Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2023, 11:43 PM   #1

New style frame less windows good or problematic?

We have been looking at some of the newer Motor homes and are wondering if the new frameless windows have any leaking problems.? Do the seals keep the rain out long term? We have had multiple problems with our older motor home framed windows leaking and being a maintenance concern.
holyrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2023, 03:42 AM   #2

Our experience with framed windows on the two coaches we’ve owned is that leakage was the result of the drain channels being plugged with dirt and grime.

Others who have mentioned leakage issues with framed windows have reported insuring the drain channels were cleared yielded god results.

I tried everything (in particular, caulking all around the windows with no change in leakage) to stop the leaking on our first coach until I read about the drain channels. 10 minutes/window to flush them out - no more issues.

This is relevant to the coach sitting still and either being rained on or being washed. Didn’t drive it enough in the rain to determine if there were other leakage issues - even when the glass in one of the large framed windows was loose due to the caulk having melted out.

YMMV
Old 02-22-2023, 04:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have not had any problems with those windows on two trailers we’ve had. In general, we don’t like the narrow opening of the frameless windows. Can’t get much airflow through them.

When researching for our recent MH purchase, I did read about Newmar having problems with them falling out. Check out the Newmar owners forum on irv2. Don’t know if that issue has been resolved or not.

Really liked the Newmar New Aire, until we discovered that none of the windows open at all!
oldenavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
NXR

New style frame less windows good or problematic?

Frameless windows all seem to be made by HEHR, who got bought by Lippert in early 2018.

Failing adhesive is a major issue to me, especially if you have the dual pane frameless windows as a lot of DPs come standard with. We bought dual pane windows as an option on our gasser.

When the adhesive fails you start to get fogging between the panes. That's been going on for many years. When the adhesive fails and you don't detect it the entire pane of glass falls off, usually while driving.

That recall is not just for Newmar but all "vent" window sections (for dual pane versions only) made between roughly September 2018 and August 2020. We've had 6 of 9 vent windows fail and get replaced under the recall over a period of a year. One more is on order and I'm waiting for the final two to fail.

Lippert is taking a real bath on that little problem that started about six months after they bought HEHR. I think over a thousand Dutch Stars alone were recalled and every motorhome has multiple windows that open. Plus all of the other manufacturers doing the same recall.

Nope, not a fan but I don't think there is another option nowadays if buying new.

No leaks yet, though. They use a foam gasket so just snug up all inside frame screws once a year.

Ray
Old 02-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #5
US1

Have a 2017 FW with frameless windows. No leaks or issues. Leaks are attributed to install by coach manufacture so that’s a hit or miss. I agree they don’t let much air in, but that can be improved very easily.
US1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:12 AM   #6

They do just fall out sometimes as well. The glue on the hinges and or latch just lets go.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #7

3 RVs with frameless windows, 2 with dual pane, several years of travels, thousands of miles, no problems. As others have said, flow-through ventilation isn't as good, but a good-quality ceiling exhaust fan helps.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:21 PM   #8

I come from a fenestration background - fancy way of saying I worked for a major player in the window making world.

Residential dual pane windows have a whole host of problems in and of themselves.

Remove the frame, install them in a rolling earthquake, and what do you think might happen?

They look nice and they are problematic.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:11 PM   #9

I know of some trailer owners whose frameless dual pane windows had problems; namely, the panes separated. I think the trailers in question were made around 2018 to 2020 or thereabout. I don't know for sure if the manufacturing issue got solved, but I haven't seen the same complaint from 2021-'22 new trailer purchasers.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, problem, wind, window