Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New tires today

The tires weren't really that bad, but wanted to try a totally new idea. I replaced my 245/175R 22.5 tires and wheels with a set of 225/70 19.5 this afternoon. What a change in the ride.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
wanna sell the 22.5's?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My question is why you would give up a popular size of 22.5 for 19.5 ? I would looked into a cheaper way to try to improve ride. Each to there own its your money and if you're happy that's all that counts
Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I sure wouldn't go backwards! Did anyone check to see if the new tires have the same load capacity as the 22.5's? Most tire stores won't put smaller tires on than came on it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Was it the size change the improved the ride or a change in manufacturer? What changed ride quality or handling?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

OK . . . Obviously, you also changed the wheels, right?

So it changed things. Good or bad? It sounds like better but its is not really clear.
What prompted you to try this drastic change?
Same brand tire but different size or different brand AND different size?
How old were the old tires? Simply putting on new tires will improve the ride as the new rubber is softer. Rubber dries out and gets harder with age and sun exposure.
OR, did you put on a set of used tires and wheels? Again, how old?
Do the tires (and wheels) have sufficient weight capacity for your RV?
How will you handle the significant difference in speedometer readings and effective gearing?

Sorry, but you really haven't told us much as there are so many variables involved, it just made me wonder what you are trying to say. I truly am curious.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oops! Guess I forgot to mention that these new tires & wheels were attached to the "new to us" 2011 Winnebago Vista 26P and the 22.5s had to stay on the Tiffin that we traded. Hope no one is upset over me pulling your leg. Just wanted to have a little fun here sharing the purchase of our new unit. As I've mentiond in previous posts, even though very impressed with the overall quality of the '04 Tiffin, it was just far bigger, at 37 ft, than what we wanted since we decided not to go FT 18 months ago. I had always missed the convient size that we had in the '02 31 ft Class C with one large slide. Getting the smaller A was a compromise with DW. I wanted another C, but she wanted to stay with an A so this unit works for both of us. The Vista is actually 27 foot in length with two slide outs, and is on the Ford chassis. It is a used unit, but it has less than 2,700 miles on it and it still has that "new RV" smell to it and we got what I think has a heck of a deal.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #8

Ha, that was great. This thread would have morphed into a giant poo-storm if you hadn't ended it.
I enjoyed the laugh!)
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Oops! Guess I forgot to mention that these new tires & wheels were attached to the "new to us" 2011 Winnebago Vista 26P and the 22.5s had to stay on the Tiffin that we traded. Hope no one is upset over me pulling your leg. Just wanted to have a little fun here sharing the purchase of our new unit. As I've mentiond in previous posts, even though very impressed with the overall quality of the '04 Tiffin, it was just far bigger, at 37 ft, than what we wanted since we decided not to go FT 18 months ago. I had always missed the convient size that we had in the '02 31 ft Class C with one large slide. Getting the smaller A was a compromise with DW. I wanted another C, but she wanted to stay with an A so this unit works for both of us. The Vista is actually 27 foot in length with two slide outs, and is on the Ford chassis. It is a used unit, but it has less than 2,700 miles on it and it still has that "new RV" smell to it and we got what I think has a heck of a deal.
So, if I want to buy your old 22.5's, they'll come with a Tiffin attached to them? Will that cost extra?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Tires are so expensive these days I find it cheaper to buy a new coach when ever I need tires
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I should have expected something like this from the Air Force. A Navy would never try to fool his friends.
BTW I will offer $700.00 per tire for the old 22.5" tires if the come attached to the old coach. I'm talking cash.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ha! Stan - you had a bunch of us bamboozled with that one.

Enjoy those "new tires" along with the rest of the coach.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
So, if I want to buy your old 22.5's, they'll come with a Tiffin attached to them? Will that cost extra?
Yeah! but it gonna' be just a tad extra since there was only had about 9,000 miles & a year and a half on that set of rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I should have expected something like this from the Air Force. A Navy would never try to fool his friends.
BTW I will offer $700.00 per tire for the old 22.5" tires if the come attached to the old coach. I'm talking cash.
Now, now, let's be truthful, I sure didn't hear about newbies running around on the deck of the Forrestal for half a day looking for prop wash and anchor polish from an AF airman. Matter of fact, he had three red chevrons under his Eagle.

Thanks to all for letting me run joke and I do Pray that everyone here has had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Yeah! but it gonna' be just a tad extra since there was only had about 9,000 miles & a year and a half on that set of rubber.

Now, now, let's be truthful, I sure didn't hear about newbies running around on the deck of the Forrestal for half a day looking for prop wash and anchor polish from an AF airman. Matter of fact, he had three red chevrons under his Eagle.

Thanks to all for letting me run joke and I do Pray that everyone here has had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I'd bet anything it was them Navy Airdales, you just can't trust them guys.

Tags
tires