Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

New to RVs - looking for advice on sleeping arrangements

Hey all-
We are considering getting an RV for trips and vacations. I really like some of the smaller class C like the Vixen and the LeSharo - but I don't think I can get the sleeping situation in one of those, so I'm thinking something like a full size van with cab over sleeping is probably the only way to go.

I have 2 kids, my boy is 13 and my girl is 11 - no sharing a full size bed between them. I need at least a full for my wife and I with some.. privacy . I'd prefer kids at one end and adults at the other end of the RV.

Any ideas what direction we should be looking? I'd love something small enough that we wouldn't need a toad.

I'll be looking at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Thanks yall!
m4ff3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds like you will be needing a unit with three beds. A bedroom, cab-over sleeper and a dinette/sofa that will convert to a bed. This will require a substantial RV. The biggest problem in not having a towed vehicle is that you may be dependent on public transportation to get around. Yes you could take the RV out. However, do you want to unplug utilities everytime?

Good luck with your search and ask questions in here.
Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #3

First off I just wanted to say....

Are you stuck on the idea of a motorhome? What about a trailer? We traveled this country in a 24 foot Prowler travel trailer bunk bed model for years till the girls got to "mature" to travel with DOP (Dumb Old Parents) That was probably the best RV we had while growing up with a young family. Right now we travel in a 35 foot diesel motorcoach. We make it known that this coach is only big enough for Grandma, Grandpa, and Granddaughter (11 yr old). It is not big enough for her Mom/Dad

Anyway, looks like a bunk bed trailer or motorhome is your best bet. You will probably need to go a bit bigger than what you are looking for though.

Good luck, and keep us posted as you look and buy something, OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ff3w View Post
Hey all-
We are considering getting an RV for trips and vacations. I really like some of the smaller class C like the Vixen and the LeSharo - but I don't think I can get the sleeping situation in one of those, so I'm thinking something like a full size van with cab over sleeping is probably the only way to go.

I have 2 kids, my boy is 13 and my girl is 11 - no sharing a full size bed between them. I need at least a full for my wife and I with some.. privacy . I'd prefer kids at one end and adults at the other end of the RV.

Any ideas what direction we should be looking? I'd love something small enough that we wouldn't need a toad.

I'll be looking at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Thanks yall!
Hello,

Your kids are already old enough to need lots of room for all of their gadgets, so anything small will unfortunately end up not getting used. Like Tony said, it is a real pain to unhook from a camp to go somewhere in the moho. Why not just look for the smallest class-A gasser you can afford? There is so much more storage, more power to haul all of their friends and their stuff, too! And there will be lots more room, which means more space between you and the kids, which means happy wifey, happy moho lifey!

We have owned the usual pop-ups, a small travel trailer, a slide-in pickup camper, a small class-C with no bedroom (unhappy wifey!), a large 31' class-C that required a tow vehicle (just did not have the storage space that we needed). Then we had a small 5th wheel, and finally our current small 33' class-A gasser. We have owned the current moho for over 10 years, and we are still happy with it.

If you still decide on class-C's, look at the Lazy Daze manufacturer in California. New ones are very pricey, and so are the used ones, but some of their floor plans offer the space you are looking for. We were never able to locate a good, gently used one.

Remember, if you and the wifey do not love the moho, especially the wifey, then it will not get used. Did I mention to make sure you keep the wifey happy?

Good luck with your adventures,

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

Pull a pop-up trailer behind that "C"
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

X2 on the bunk bed suggestion .....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Good luck!
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #9

We did the whole spectrum as well, tents, popups, campers, class C, Class A.

The trailer or 5th wheel suggestions really depend on the vehicles you own, as replacing them gets expensive as well.

We were pretty happy with our large pop up which was our 2nd popup, this one had electric lift for the roof and tongue, a bath room, and much more. But, with a bed at either end, it means you would have someone on the couch or fold down dinette.

I prefer not to have anyone sleep in the living room, if I can help it.

I am currently reworking the sleeping arrangements in my recently purchased Class A, but I had worked out several sleeping situations for my previous C class.

It had a bed in the back, with a curtain around it. Far less than a bedroom, but more than nothing. I had it set with a king over the cab, and I took out the full bed in back and added a bunk over the smaller bed. These bunk beds were well received by the kids. (At the time, 8 yo daughter, 12 yo son).

That worked for a couple years, as the wife and I were on the king size bed over the cab.

Eventually wife said no more bunk over the cab, and life changes...

But... This did require a 2nd vehicle. For us, it worked that my wife drove separately, as I would arrive a bit ahead of her, with or without kids, and set up when we did camp. On other trips, we did not tow a car, and just dealt with being in the MH.

I found fixer uppers to keep the cost down. That also depends on your ability to fix or your willingness to fix.

One last consideration that has become pretty clear lately. My daughter will often camp in a tent outside of the camper with her friends when camping with other families. My son will also, in another tent. We have a crew of 6 or more families we often go camping with, so there are often a band of girls or boys looking to camp that way...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, rvs