Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #1

New Walmart camping tragedy-cooking in van starts fire

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charges-m...214517282.html
turnleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The man was obviously a dufus and should be charged with negligence but IMO the death of the girl is on the mother for leaving her children in the car unattended. So sad that the children always seem to pay the price for adult stupidity and lack of responsibility.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

From the article:

Quote:
The van caught fire and spread to an adjacent van where police say two girls were alone up to an hour Tuesday morning as their mother shopped at the store
Does seem strange there doesn't seem to be questions as to why the young girls were left in the van in the first place. I'd never consider leaving my 6 year old son or daughter in a car, even for a minute. Heat may not be an issue here but there are too many other things that can happen to little ones left like this unattended.

I'm sure the 70 year old man didn't mean for this to happen. Unfortunately, he screwed up and it did. It's his lying to authorities about it that makes me sick. Certainly shows me the caliber of person he is.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

My heart goes out for all those involved.
No further comment.
Lynn
Old 08-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

A very SAD tragedy
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

So sad a story. I would think think that the mother would also be charged with child neglect for leaving a 6 yr old and a 9 yr old alone in the car. Have seen many stories about people tail gaiting at a game in the stadium parking lot and sliding the hot grill under their car before going into the stadium to watch the game, which causes a fire to several cars, theirs and others parked next to them. Too many stupid people in this world.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #7

This is a very sad story. What I don't like about the reporter's writing is when he states:

"Walmart is well known for allowing overnight RV parking at some locations, and the company's corporate website says it does so "as we are able," with permission coming from individual store managers."

Well, this was not a RV, this was a minivan that was not built for the purpose it was used for. This is painting a false narrative with a very broad brush of another tragedy caused by Walmart policy of allowing overnight RV parking. I hate to see it, but as more lawyers and liabilities get involved, Walmart could eventually discontinue this corporate policy.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
This is a very sad story. What I don't like about the reporter's writing is when he states:

"Walmart is well known for allowing overnight RV parking at some locations, and the company's corporate website says it does so "as we are able," with permission coming from individual store managers."

Well, this was not a RV, this was a minivan that was not built for the purpose it was used for. This is painting a false narrative with a very broad brush of another tragedy caused by Walmart policy of allowing overnight RV parking. I hate to see it, but as more lawyers and liabilities get involved, Walmart could eventually discontinue this corporate policy.
Why attempt to blame WM for this??? You stated this was not an RV, but their RV policy is to blame, I fail to see your logic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #9

No Ray, I am not blaming Walmart for this tragedy. I was pointing out that the reporter for some unknown reason stated Walmart's overnight RV policy when this wasn't even an RV event.

But I promise if this grieving mother decides to acquire legal help to compensate her loss, her lawyer will certainly include Walmart and it's overnight policy as a lucrative target.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

Back when I was a kid, the only danger of leaving a 6/9 YO in a car was kids pretending to drive car rolling away. But by that age we could open a window if it got hot, or a door if needed to get out.
But I don't understand the "not RV" logic? If the fire started by a towel dropped on the hot burner of a installed stove would it be better? Hopefully the cameras would of not seen you cooking but the fire would be just as hot, just as tragic, just as senseless.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

An 9 and 6 year old are legally allowed to be left alone for many hour in most states. Its not their age that was a problem. The fact that they were asleep was. An adult asleep in the car while the one in the next spot is burning would most likely have the same result.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
An 9 and 6 year old are legally allowed to be left alone for many hour in most states. Its not their age that was a problem. The fact that they were asleep was. An adult asleep in the car while the one in the next spot is burning would most likely have the same result.
We are dealing with two different issues here. Legal and moral. Neither my wife nor I would leave a 6 or 9 year old child alone in a car while going into a store to shop.
Just because the law says you can doesn't mean you should.
Lynn
Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
We are dealing with two different issues here. Legal and moral. Neither my wife nor I would leave a 6 or 9 year old child alone in a car while going into a store to shop.
Just because the law says you can doesn't mean you should.
Lynn
I'm not sure it is a moral issue. Buy the time brother was 6, and I was 8 we could collect pop bottles along the road, bicycle to the store, and buy a pop.
Back then, if you lived over a mile from the school, you could ride the bus. Less than that, the family was responsible to get you there. Mostly that meant walk or bike. If weather was bad, maybe a parent on the street would take a car load.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I'm not sure it is a moral issue. Buy the time brother was 6, and I was 8 we could collect pop bottles along the road, bicycle to the store, and buy a pop.
Back then, if you lived over a mile from the school, you could ride the bus. Less than that, the family was responsible to get you there. Mostly that meant walk or bike. If weather was bad, maybe a parent on the street would take a car load.
The key word in your whole statement is "Back then". It's a different world out there today.
My first six years of attending school were spent in a one room school house 1/2 mile from my home. I walked to school every day regardless of the weather but traffic was less and slower than it is today. Now every kid gets a ride to school either via bus or private transportation because no one trusts them to be out on their own and for good reason.
I got my first gun at 12 years old and carried it wherever I wanted to. I collected bottles like you did but I bought boxes of 50 .22 bullets to use in my gun. When I was in the first year of high school I joined the rifle team. We had a rifle range in the basement of the school. I rode the bus to the city school after Grammer school and often carried my .22 on the bus with live rounds in a box in my pocket. Can you imagine any kid doing that today?
By the time I was a Junior in High School I drove my own car to school and often carried a firearm laying on the back seat. I worked on farms from the day I turned 12 years old and got my farm work permit. I drove tractors and trucks on the farm and often worked in the woods cutting trees down and dragging them out of the woods to cut up for firewood. Show a 12 year old kid a chain saw today and they wouldn't even know how to start it say nothing about how to cut a full grown tree down safely.
I don't recall having the perverts around like we have today. Now we know they are around but we're not allowed to point them out. If my kids were 6 and 8 today you can bet I wouldn't leave them alone in a car or anywhere else without someone having a watchful eye on them. I didn't do it when they were that age and that was a long while ago.
Today parents give their kids a cell phone and an I Pad and leave them alone to fend for themselves while the parent types away on their Lap Top unaware of what their young ones are doing or go into a store and leave their kids unattended.
Lynn

Tags
camping, fire