Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Newbeee seeks advice.

hello all as the title states I am a newbie as of July 24 of 2021, I will be selling my home and going full-time in a coach and I need some advice as to what is good what is bad what to avoid and so on and so forth I realize that's a lot but I'm out here in the cold and know nothing about the quality of coaches about what I should and should not get as a full-timer, so far I am looking for a 40 foot diesel pusher from the used coach market, recommendations as to brand as to good years models ETC, would be most appreciated,I realize this is a tall order but due to the fact that this is a forum and not a salesman trying to sell me something this seems like the best way to begin.

Thank you
P.S. pplease excuse the grammatical errors and spelling errors as I am using voice recognition software due to the fact that I am a lousy typist.

Gary
newcoach2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #2

For newer diesel motorhomes keep in mind about DEF & I'm reading there are a lot of problems associated.

If you can find an older diesel with low mileage and excellent, well-cared-for condition I'd grab it so I wouldn't have to deal with DEF regulations.

https://www.rvtravel.com/def-head-problem-ruin-trip/

Also, newer motorhomes have so many electronic gadgets on them and to me that's just more things to go wrong.

An older motorhome can be professionally updated to your requirements and you'd have an excellent coach.

Look for a older Newmar for quality. We never had a repair on our Dutch Star in using ours for 8 full-timing years and traveling constantly..... only maintenance.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #3

My 2 cents. My son works for a Cummins shop. Find a coach the a side raditator. Helps with lower repair bills.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #4

Congrats!! This is exactly what I did on December 4, 2020. "Quality" is a very subjective term. Don't fear DP's from even the 1990's if they've been cared for. Beavers from that era (or any era) are of an exceptional build quality, as are Safaris (which I LOVE) and even Monacos. I understand build quality was much higher before model year 2009 or so, and it has really fallen off, in the last couple of years especially. FWIW, our original plan was to buy a 2013-ish or newer class A DP, but instead got a 1995 Dynasty to restore to our tastes. Saved $. Sorta.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. If you can afford a DP then that is the way to go.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up, or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
For newer diesel motorhomes keep in mind about DEF & I'm reading there are a lot of problems associated.

If you can find an older diesel with low mileage and excellent, well-cared-for condition I'd grab it so I wouldn't have to deal with DEF regulations.

https://www.rvtravel.com/def-head-problem-ruin-trip/

Also, newer motorhomes have so many electronic gadgets on them and to me that's just more things to go wrong.

An older motorhome can be professionally updated to your requirements and you'd have an excellent coach.

Look for a older Newmar for quality. We never had a repair on our Dutch Star in using ours for 8 full-timing years and traveling constantly..... only maintenance.
Folks

I truly appreciate your response,,,if all in this organization are as friendly as you then I will truly enjoy this membership........

Thank you

Gary Sachs
Old 07-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramn4ver View Post
My 2 cents. My son works for a Cummins shop. Find a coach the a side raditator. Helps with lower repair bills.
Thank you, that will surely reduce the overwhelming number of coach's to deal with, and it truly makes sense as there is a vacuum back there at speed.

Thank you

Gary
Old 07-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
Congrats!! This is exactly what I did on December 4, 2020. "Quality" is a very subjective term. Don't fear DP's from even the 1990's if they've been cared for. Beavers from that era (or any era) are of an exceptional build quality, as are Safaris (which I LOVE) and even Monacos. I understand build quality was much higher before model year 2009 or so, and it has really fallen off, in the last couple of years especially. FWIW, our original plan was to buy a 2013-ish or newer class A DP, but instead got a 1995 Dynasty to restore to our tastes. Saved $. Sorta.
I will use your advice,especially the item about saving money and being comfortable with putting much older coach's in the mix.
Appreciate it.

Gary
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome to the forum. If you can afford a DP then that is the way to go.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up, or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
Thank you much.............

Gary
Old 07-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #10

Welcome to retirement, good for you! Something to consider is how you feel in smaller spaces. Over the last 22 yrs, we have had 3 class C motorhomes. The last 2 being 31 footers. With only 1 or 2 small slides of one side of the rig it stays pretty narrow inside. In Feb. of 2019 my wife & I decided it would be nice to have "opposing" slides for a more open feel. We love our new to us, 36' foot Itasca Meridian.
Oh, here is a site you can look at floor plans of various rigs, it helped us out tremendously. https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/specs-by-type-class-a-t2
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #11

Don't discount a "super C". But something with a real truck chassis and diesel. First they are inherently safer since the front is a truck front, not fiberglass and windshield. They have crash crumple zones that an A DP doesn't have. BUT the house is going to be shorter than a comparable length A because part of the length is engine and front end. On some the front seats may swivel like a lot of As so they become part of the living area. Others maybe only one or none. The house part of a super C won't vary much from an A given the dimensions involved. You can only fit so much into a box of a size. Personal preference is avoid full wall slides. The potential for structural problems especially if you are a traveling type RVr rather than sit 6 months at a time. I.E. the more a system like a slide get used the potential for issues. NOTE that statement will likely evoke a lot to hate mail.

I would avoid a bigger regular C since they often come close to max GVWR and AWR, and tire loading, right from the factory. Storage on a regular C is also lacking.

Have fun looking but make sure that you have your eyes wide open.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, I don't believe you mentioned what your budget figure is, and that would help with recommendations.

Monaco made some really great coaches in the early 2000's, especially the Windsor, Dynasty, and Signature. We love our 2002 Windsor!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I fulltimed until about 3 years ago in a DP and I agree with a lot of what is said above.

Personally, if I were to do it again, I'd RUN to get another Monaco, and specifically I would go with 2006 or older. Mine was a 2005 Monaco Safari Gazelle. Being a Safari it meant that I had side radiator and a Caterpillar engine, both being desirable. Having a rear radiator not only will make service much harder and more expensive, but also they tend to get clogged with debris from driving.

Tags
advice, holiday rambler