Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Newbie Buyer.....Looking for advice and info

So, my wife and I are really looking to make the leap and try out RVing. We've been looking and researching and it seems I'm more confused than ever. We've really narrowed it down to a few things that we really like.
1. We want a class A and we want diesel.
2. We want a triple slide (living room with opposing slides. We have a larger family and the extra room is really nice.
3. We don't really want go go above 40'.
4. Would like exhaust breaks if possilbe.

SO, with that all said, I am wondering about brand, most notably, are there brands to avoid? We'd like to keep the price below $50,000. We love the layout of the Holiday Rambler PST, but have heard there were problems with the trailing arm during certain years. Fleetwood makes some great 3 slide layouts.

What other things should we be looking for? What should we be avoiding?

Any help for a newbie would be AWESOME!
ccalhoun71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

Have you shopped around, 50k isn't going to buy much! BUT i just looked at RV/Trader in Oregon and there are some in the 50k range. they are mostly 15+ years old but fairly low miles and not as exactly as your looking for.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #3

Just to give you an idea on buying a diesel motorhome for $50,000:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...rtBy=price+asc

As for manufacturers... try for Newmar, Country Coach, Beaver, Tiffin but you'll need to go way back in years in your price range.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

$50k for a diesel pusher puts you into the 15-20 year old bracket. There are plenty of well-kept coaches like that, but you will have to hunt for them. I'd suggest looking for a mid or high-end model, so that probably means 2000-2004 range. There are some excellent models from Country Coach, American Coach, and Newmar, plus some nice ones from Winnebago, National RV and Tiffin as well. However, condition is far more important than brand name.

Yes, one of the Roadmaster chassis had a major trailing arm suspension issue and that would affect some Holiday, Monaco and Safari models that used that chassis. It's the R4R and RR4R chassis with the Monaco Gold suspension. That's not all coaches of those brands, but you will need to know which to ask questions about (there is an acceptable fix for the problem - just make sure it has been applied). Here's a blog post that tells how to determine if the suspension is the one with problems.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

Is there any reason you're limiting your choice to three slides? Four slides is a more commonly built configuration than three, and opens your selection up wider. Nothing at all wrong with a three slide coach, it's just that there's more four sliders out there than three.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco made some really great coaches in the early 2000's that will fit your budget. Look for one with the RR8 chassis, preferably the RR8S with the side radiator, that won't have the trailing arm problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

Thank you for the responses. I have a line on a single owner 2003 Fleetwood Discovery. They have all the maintenance records. Looks like it is mechanically in great shape. I just don't know much about Fleetowoods. Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Monaco made some really great coaches in the early 2000's that will fit your budget. Look for one with the RR8 chassis, preferably the RR8S with the side radiator, that won't have the trailing arm problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Ok, I LOVE the Monacos. So I also have seen a 2004 Monaco Windsor 38pst, with side radiator. You're saying that doesn't have the trailing arm problem?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We love our Beaver. It has 4 slides and is on an SMC Chassis with 8 airbags. We bought it for 42k but have about 55k in it after sprucing it up and buying tires.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie