Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #1

Newbie insurance question

Full fledged newbie here and we are about to start a trip in our new KZ Spree 261RKS.

I currently have “regular” insurance on the TT written by my car insurance company. In reading the policy, things get kind of vague with respect to actual coverage. Who knew!?

I am concerned about water leak damage at the roof, windows and anywhere in or on the trailer. I therefore have insurance questions. I am interested in both regular insurance and warrantee coverage. Of course I expect that other major components will be covered.

What companies (of the ones generally discussed here) cover this? I got a quote from “RVAmerica” (RVProtection.com) but they appear to exclude the roof.

What does the forum generally think of Good Sam? What plan of highway rescue is best? I have to say they just pummel you with mailings and ultimately cause major confusion. Sort of like AARP insurance offers.

Thanks in advance
BobCat
8bobcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bobcat8 View Post
Full fledged newbie here and we are about to start a trip in our new KZ Spree 261RKS.

I currently have “regular” insurance on the TT written by my car insurance company. In reading the policy, things get kind of vague with respect to actual coverage. Who knew!?

I am concerned about water leak damage at the roof, windows and anywhere in or on the trailer. I therefore have insurance questions. I am interested in both regular insurance and warranty coverage. Of course I expect that other major components will be covered.

What companies (of the ones generally discussed here) cover this? I got a quote from “RVAmerica” (RVProtection.com) but they appear to exclude the roof.

What does the forum generally think of Good Sam? What plan of highway rescue is best? I have to say they just pummel you with mailings and ultimately cause major confusion. Sort of like AARP insurance offers.

Thanks in advance
BobCat
Bob,

There are two types of insurance, one is like your auto insurance that covers damage to your trailer like a car, it includes things like backing into a post or another car and/or a tree falls over in the wind and crushes it. It would cover things like an awning blowing off in the wind and bending the metal and tearing the fabric. It would also cover if that limb broke a skylight and resulted in water damage. It does not normally cover things like your refrigerator going out or damage caused by a leak in the caulking around a ceiling vent (see below) .

The second is an insurance policy/extended warranty that covers many things that break on your trailer but are not the result of an accident. Most of those do not cover things like leaks from a skylight or fan vent as these leaks are usually caused by a lack of maintenance. I do not know if you will find one that covers that type of repair or damage you are describing.

If you have the first type above, you are covered for damage including accidental, weather, fire, smoke and liability. The second type above will cover major components like the refrigerator and air conditioner but not normally the walls and roof.

Good Sam has mixed reviews for insurance policies/extended warranties as they use an inclusionary policy (tell you what is covered) as opposed to an exclusionary policy (tells you is not covered). As in the case of good Sam, they use the inclusions factor to deny many claims. Exclusionary type polices are most often preferred.

As far as towing on a TT, your best bet is to get it with your auto insurance type of policy. For a 5th Wheel or MH it is more important to have the Good Sam type of towing as it covers a larger resulting tow bill because normal towing companies can't tow the really big stuff.

Hope the explanation helps!

Jim
Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

One of the problems that I've heard about is that if you have a claim, your auto rates will increase. We are from Ontario & when I talked to my broker, he advised having a separate policy for the trailer. If you have a claim for water dammage caused from leaks, they can refuse the claim stating that it comes under lack of general maintenance. We had a unit & it leaked around the windows in the bedroom through the winter. There was mold & warped panels everywhere. Our insurance stated that if a window or skylite was to break, that would be covered under water dammage, but no leaking coverage. Go figure?? I am not certain what type of policies are available in the U.S. but make certain you read thoroughly & ask a lot of questions. Play a " what if ----- was to happen? Am I covered? If the unit is new, there should be a warranty with the unit. Buyer Beware!!
Dan
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

One of the reasons for the leakage question is that a friend of my wife had her older 5er totaled out because of a hidden leak that caused major roof rot and mold. She told my wife that it was extremely important to have proof of inspections and maintenance (which they had).

So if I am fool enough (because of the hard work) to undertake the required maintenance, where does that leave me in the eyes of the insurance company. I'm kind of a-retentive and let very few people work on my stuff.

Regards,
BobCat
8bobcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
paz

Not only is there a difference between "regular" insurance and extended warranty coverage, there is a difference between "regular" insurance and RV insurance coverage. "Regular" insurance is auto insurance. It will cover damage due to storm, flood, accident, theft, etc., but it may not cover damage to things like awnings and roof air conditioners. These things may be considered accessories, and your roof air may not be covered if you whack a tree branch with it. Make sure you get RV insurance rather than auto insurance, and read the fine print.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's really complex. Most insurance policies, even home insurance, do not cover leaks that result from old, worn or defective seams, seals or joints. An insurer will distinguish between water damage from a pipe that breaks (covered) and rain water leaking in around a window or roof (not covered). But if wind causes damage that lets water in, it is covered (the wind is an "accident", I guess).

I don't know of any type of policy that would cover what you are asking for.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have State Farm Insurance and they paid $4500 worth of wind damage to my former coach. I also had Good Sam Road-Side Service come out to tie the awnings up so that the coach could be returned to the dealer. State Farm reimbursed me for the labor charge. Joe
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The key here is that there must be an external cause of the damage for the vehicle coverage to kick in, i.e. it is accident insurance. Internal failure of seams, seals, and such are not covered by any policy you can afford.

As far as I know, all "extended warranties" exclude roof and body repairs, probably for cost reasons. Proof of maintenance is probably not going to do you any good, since the coverage is excluded anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv