Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #1

Newbie looking for spot.

Hello All,

First time here and really to anything related to RV since I just bought one 6+ months ago.

I'm trying to find local homeowners in my area that want to make some passive income renting out their large (level-ish) driveway, sideway, yard, lot (whatever unused space they own with good entry/exit) so I can stay there in my RV.
I work full time, no pets, no drugs, no alcohol, no smoking, no multiple vehicles (minus the truck), no cable tv.

No power, drain, or water needed; but would be open for it, if available.
Also I can be handy around a house or system, except finish work things i.e. finish wood, granite, glass, etc.

Like I said, I'm new, so I didn't know where to start looking for any spots about this, and a little bit of online searching brought me here.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'll get out of everyone's way.
AO.TECHNION is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #2

No power, drain, or water needed;
So what are your plans for water, power, waste dumping?

*Homes??
Local Laws, HOAs, Zoning.....all could be restrictive

Put in 'your area' and check for rentals
https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-lots-for-rent

Also check with Camp Grounds in your area about Long Term Rentals
https://www.campgroundviews.com/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #4

Well, if I "HAD" to, I would go to the nearest service station (which happens to be mostly gas stations) and dump/refill there, hence the need for a "good entry/exit".

As for power, I would use a portable 3K watt DeWalt Gasoline generator that I lug around with the rig; and then get to work on a little box set up I saw on youtube to make it (generator) more quiet, since I know a generator at all hours of the day/night isn't exactly allowed.
Again, it would really help if they were available instead, but life is more full of lemons than honey .

Yea, I figured that all that would come into play, and that's why I came to a place like this because I assumed people here would already have factored that in if they saw my post and were still interested in my offer; or if they had all that covered, as an example:

My IT Senior Manager has a 12X30 ft. concrete pad in front of his house that's 25 mins. away from our work place, with already installed drain, water, and power (plus power for him is practically free for LIFE because he has solar and a good deal with the utility co.). He said the only thing they do with it is let their ONLY child use it as a "play area" (despite that they have huge side/back yard with extra space). I told him he could literally pocket my $350 a month, for FREE, if he wanted to let me stay there; he liked that idea and said he just needed to check with the Misses.

Since I have done residential house work for quite some time now, I knew right then that it was over and I was going no where, fast, with this spot; sure enough, when he got back to me he said she said no, because the kid needed his "play area".

I wish I could put a confirmed number on it, but If I had to guess, there's at least 15% of original homes (but not all the new homes going up) in my area that have that same set up, and know that half of them don't use it as such.

Great of you to reply with those links, anything helps.
Appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Welcome aboard!

Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #6

How do you dump at a gas station ?
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #7

The owner of the property may run into a zoning problem. Living in a trailer may be considered another dwelling on the property. Also could be an insurance problem.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #8

Your looking in the wrong places.

I spent 27 years living in FL nearly rent free in an RV.
As a service station mechanic I spent several years parked behind the service station. I was the guard dog so to speak. Had access to electric, water and sewer plus telephone. The trade off was I handled the after hours wrecker calls.
My next mechanic's job also found me parked behind the shop. Again with utilities, and again as a guard dog.
Went to work for a wrecker company. Got to park in the impound yard. Again as a guard dog with utilities.
Another time I was parked behind a repair shop, with utilities and again as a guard dog. I didn't even work for this shop. The owner (who knew me) was having problems with theft.
Even today, I drive for a Charter Bus Company. I spend November thru February parked in the bus yard. Saves me a 35 mile commute in the fog we get here in the valley.
Doing this is not as easy now as it once was. But still can be done.

Good luck
Damon
Old 07-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Charles View Post
How do you dump at a gas station ?

You just show up, pay ~$20, then dump/fill; just like a regular "hook up", without the power, And then you leave.
If im not mistaken, some stations ask for ID; again, im new to this, so verify my words.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
The owner of the property may run into a zoning problem. Living in a trailer may be considered another dwelling on the property. Also could be an insurance problem.
That's strange that he bought this house last year and it has a drain, waste, power hook up on a 30 ft concrete pad if its a violation in his zoned area.
He said when he bought it that everything was checked & verified in compliance.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #11

Maybe I am a bit blind; but have never seen nor heard of a gas station having a dump my black or grey tanks capability. I guess I could pull a favorite cousin trick and dump them down the storm sewer; but if I saw this happening in my neighborhood, somebody would be going to jail........Good luck....Dennis
PacificaDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaDen View Post
Maybe I am a bit blind; but have never seen nor heard of a gas station having a dump my black or grey tanks capability. I guess I could pull a favorite cousin trick and dump them down the storm sewer; but if I saw this happening in my neighborhood, somebody would be going to jail........Good luck....Dennis
I donít know about other areas, but in my area numerous gas stations have dump stations and water. Thereís a gas station not too far from me that I go to to dump when Iím camping at an area that has none. And itís free.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO.TECHNION View Post
That's strange that he bought this house last year and it has a drain, waste, power hook up on a 30 ft concrete pad if its a violation in his zoned area.
He said when he bought it that everything was checked & verified in compliance.
So... it sounds like you have a place picked out already and have talked to him. Why aren't you staying there?

Another suggestion may be the site 'Boondockers Welcome' & someone may let you stay longer than normal.

I agree, there are many service stations that have a dump and water fill. We've used them.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
I donít know about other areas, but in my area numerous gas stations have dump stations and water. Thereís a gas station not too far from me that I go to to dump when Iím camping at an area that has none. And itís free.
I must not be very observant. In 20 years and 400,000 miles of RVing all over America, I've only seen about half dozen or so gas stations/truck stops with dump stations. I'd hate to have to rely on those when I needed to dump my tanks.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags