Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #1

Newbie needs some direction

Hi,

This is my first post. I've read a bit on full-time RVing and now would like some opinion from those who have been active.

Here are some details on us:

Total people: 3 — Two adults in 60s and a soon to be teenager.

Objective: To give our son an adventure during his middle and high school years (if we can hack it on the road for that long).

Driver: Mostly me I'm sure. If it's a modest Class A my wife may participate. If we pick up a big diesel rig, I doubt she'll drive at all.

Experience in RV: none

Intent: To do a little human resources consulting as we travel. We wouldn't be on the road all the time. We'd touch down for a week here, a month there...with that being determined by the work I drum up.

Budget: $50-60,000 to buy used. No financing. We'd have another $8-10,000 for necessary maintenance for the first couple of years, as needed. I have zero mechanical skills.

Type of motor home: We don't need luxury. We'd prefer a decent, functional rig. We've read some of the maintenance/repair nightmare stories from folks who've bought used.

I've been given two sets of advice on what to buy.

1. An old Newmar or Tiffin, 15+ years old. It wouldn't have the most modern features but could give us those five years.

2. Buy an old Prevost bus conversion for the same money, something with a fairly recent engine rebuild. It might not be as comfortable as a conventional motor home (and no slides) but might be far more reliable.

We're pretty careful and would have any potential unit checked by a certified mechanic.

Hopefully I've given enough info to get some feedback on what to buy. If not, please tell me what I didn't include that's important.

Also, is there a weather app that RVers use? My wife doesn't go for cold weather. We'd like to plan our year to be in 50-80 degree temperatures most of the year, or as much as possible.

Thanks for the read. Hope to hear from you.
Slow Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

With a $60K budget, you can get a nice used high end coach, probably under 15 years old. I just sold a lovely 2004 American Tradition for $79k. A gas chassis coach would be fine for your needs and substantially less money (or newer for the same money).

I don't think new vs used has much to do with those horror stories. New ones have them too! An RV is more like a house than a car, so "used' and "aged" only mean that you have to look at the condition and care that it has received. And while a mechanical inspection is useful, you should be more concerned about the house part, meaning inspection of appliances, roof, water system, etc. Get both an RV inspection and a chassis (mechanical) inspection if you can.

Tiffin builds decently, but not particularly better than others. Their forte is customer service, making you happy even though you may have problems needing repair. I think any mid-upper tier model is a good bet if the rig has been well-cared for. Manufacturer name is not so important.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

When you look at the prices of used motorhomes you will see that they depreciate rapidly for 10-12 years then slowly after that. A lot of this has to do with lenders are generally not willing to finance motorhomes that are over 10 years of age so the potential buyer pool shrinks considerably at that point. I would go so far as to say that for all practical purposes deprecation stops at about the 15 year mark, this is where condition, features and styling take over. (to put another way people will pay more for a 2001 model than a 1996 model because it has a less dated color scheme, has a more powerful engine, nicer interior, etc. not so much because of the age difference).

As to the rest, I would strongly suggest you take your time and go look at a number of motorhomes from your proposed vintage see if you think the floor plan is workable for your lifestyle, then start worrying about technical aspects, the cargo carrying capacity, the drive system, etc. Realistic consider that size would be best for you, don't assume bigger is better, a 45 ft may be nice to live in, but you may not see much of the county if you are going to dread moving. As to your comment about having no mechanical ability,this does give me a cause of concern, motorhomes are complicated mechanical devices, combined with a house that must deal with the effects of a constant earthquake going do the road and life can get expensive when you start paying someone $100+ per hour to do the simple stuff (fixing a non-working light, or a loose screw on the door latch).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

It all sounds like a good plan so far. With regard to the Prevost and its extra cost, it is not likely to be any more reliable than a mid-level brand. The Spartan and Freightliner chassis are rated as "million mile rigs". They won't likely last that long in most cases, but that's still much more than you will ever need.

Reasonable advice is get a good, comfortable coach that you can afford. Maybe drop down a little in price to save more for probable repairs and service. Get a coach with slides, good TVs (or allocate funds to change out the old ones) and get ready to go.

The plan sounds really good from here, and the kid should have a blast. Lots of us don't want to drive all the time; we go to a new destination and stay for at least a week at a time. Many stay for several months before moving on. Just be flexible and don't try to kill yourself driving all the time.

Lots of people here will advise you on brands, etc. and the advice will usually be worth what it costs. Continue to collect advice and wisdom and knowledge; you'll get it right, or at least right enough.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't worry as much about the motor home and more about the education and social interaction of the teen. Your idea of education as older parents may be well minded but not in the best interest of the teen. As to the posed question perhaps with your income level a mid range 2005 or so quality coach and a year to year warranty for major repairs to cover you tush. And of course inspection of proposed coach.

LEN
Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The others have pretty much covered any suggestions I could make. Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate the advice. Looking at it more as a house than a vehicle is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
With a $60K budget, you can get a nice used high end coach, probably under 15 years old. I just sold a lovely 2004 American Tradition for $79k. A gas chassis coach would be fine for your needs and substantially less money (or newer for the same money).

I don't think new vs used has much to do with those horror stories. New ones have them too! An RV is more like a house than a car, so "used' and "aged" only mean that you have to look at the condition and care that it has received. And while a mechanical inspection is useful, you should be more concerned about the house part, meaning inspection of appliances, roof, water system, etc. Get both an RV inspection and a chassis (mechanical) inspection if you can.

Tiffin builds decently, but not particularly better than others. Their forte is customer service, making you happy even though you may have problems needing repair. I think any mid-upper tier model is a good bet if the rig has been well-cared for. Manufacturer name is not so important.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Thanks Isaac, good information.

As to my lack of mechanical skills, that more relates to fixing an engine or doing major repairs on the living area. I can handle a fair amount of small stuff, follow instructions on YouTube, or guys at a Home Depot, etc. I know some of that is going to be necessary.

Hope I didn't give the impression that we don't want t move, as indicated in your post. We would hope to visit a dozen or so states and 15-20 communities the first year alone.

I appreciate your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
When you look at the prices of used motorhomes you will see that they depreciate rapidly for 10-12 years then slowly after that. A lot of this has to do with lenders are generally not willing to finance motorhomes that are over 10 years of age so the potential buyer pool shrinks considerably at that point. I would go so far as to say that for all practical purposes deprecation stops at about the 15 year mark, this is where condition, features and styling take over. (to put another way people will pay more for a 2001 model than a 1996 model because it has a less dated color scheme, has a more powerful engine, nicer interior, etc. not so much because of the age difference).

As to the rest, I would strongly suggest you take your time and go look at a number of motorhomes from your proposed vintage see if you think the floor plan is workable for your lifestyle, then start worrying about technical aspects, the cargo carrying capacity, the drive system, etc. Realistic consider that size would be best for you, don't assume bigger is better, a 45 ft may be nice to live in, but you may not see much of the county if you are going to dread moving. As to your comment about having no mechanical ability,this does give me a cause of concern, motorhomes are complicated mechanical devices, combined with a house that must deal with the effects of a constant earthquake going do the road and life can get expensive when you start paying someone $100+ per hour to do the simple stuff (fixing a non-working light, or a loose screw on the door latch).
Old 12-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the advice and encouragement. I know we'll make a ton of mistakes but that's all part of the ride, right?

Question...

If I'm seeing it right you're rolling with a 39' Newmar, and pulling a car behind you. We'd have a small car, likely a Honda civic or one of those Cube-like things. How much does that extra length add to the challenge of maneuvering the rig, finding a place to park at a Walmart or a restaurant, etc? I've always been curious about that and never asked anyone. Would appreciate your insight on that.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
It all sounds like a good plan so far. With regard to the Prevost and its extra cost, it is not likely to be any more reliable than a mid-level brand. The Spartan and Freightliner chassis are rated as "million mile rigs". They won't likely last that long in most cases, but that's still much more than you will ever need.

Reasonable advice is get a good, comfortable coach that you can afford. Maybe drop down a little in price to save more for probable repairs and service. Get a coach with slides, good TVs (or allocate funds to change out the old ones) and get ready to go.

The plan sounds really good from here, and the kid should have a blast. Lots of us don't want to drive all the time; we go to a new destination and stay for at least a week at a time. Many stay for several months before moving on. Just be flexible and don't try to kill yourself driving all the time.

Lots of people here will advise you on brands, etc. and the advice will usually be worth what it costs. Continue to collect advice and wisdom and knowledge; you'll get it right, or at least right enough.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Tom
Old 12-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #10

Thanks, Len. I appreciate that perspective. We'd certainly take it year-to-year, or maybe six months at a time. If he's not having a good time we could always change plans.

Didn't know they offered warranties on rigs as old as 2005. That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I wouldn't worry as much about the motor home and more about the education and social interaction of the teen. Your idea of education as older parents may be well minded but not in the best interest of the teen. As to the posed question perhaps with your income level a mid range 2005 or so quality coach and a year to year warranty for major repairs to cover you tush. And of course inspection of proposed coach.

LEN
Old 12-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #11

Hi Joe and Annette,

Thanks for the greeting. I've got a lot of studying to do and then plan out getting started. Hope to connect with you down the road.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

The others have pretty much covered any suggestions I could make. Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Save
Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jerry,

Sounds like you have a wonderful plan. 18 months ago my husband and I bought a 33 ft Winnebago class A Motorhome. We had never driven one before other than test drives and it was a bit daunting. Now we are very comfortable driving and pulling our toad (tow vehicle).

What we did. Went to RV shows. They have them in every state. Look up on line and go sit in a few and see what you think. I found PPL Motorhomes out of Texas to be a great resource for pricing and floor plan research. Go there, you will see why I say that. I think for what you are talking about a Class A around 35 to 38 foot would work. Here is why.

I drive the 33 ft MH we have. Your wife may be ok with driving if you don't go for a 40 footer. If you get 2 slides a 33 to 35 ft will be plenty of room. A lot of time will be spent outside but you do have rainy days. I would be comfortable driving a larger rig too. You often hear people say they never feel the car being towed behind. It's true but you need to be cautious and remember it is there. Good tow equipment is paramount.

YouTube will help with your repairs that yes, you can handle. Just learn as you go. Also while at a CG (campground) don't be afraid to ask someone with a rig similar to yours if they could help or advise. Most people are happy to help.

We spent less than $30,000 for a 2004 (this was with the new TV and Radio, and some repairs that it required) with less than 19,000 miles on it. Right now PPL has one for around $39,000 that is a bunk house which would be perfect for your family. Son gets two bunks that can be shut off from rest of rig and you two have your own room. Bottom bunk can be made into a sitting area for watching TV for him.

Check out Work Kamper News for jobs while out on the road. There are over 30,000 jobs posted. Sometimes staying and working in one place for a few months can supply money for camping and gas for the year. Some CG's offer free site rental for exchange of cleaning restrooms and showers, mowing lawns, or working in the office. State CG's especially.

You can do this. There are some AMAZING places to see in this country and what a great opportunity for all of you.

Come back when you have more questions because you will and we will continue to advise. This is going to be a great experience for your family.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Length might also depend on where your travels will take you and how much you want to be up close & personal with your experiences.

We went from a 35' to 40' when we went full-time and sometimes wish we were the shorter length. Most national parks campgrounds are not suited for over 35'. Driving in/through large metropolitan areas can be white-knuckle with bigger rigs (not to say it is ever easy). There are always rv parks near the NPs that are big rig friendly but you will be using your toad on a daily basis.

Hopefully your DW will learn to drive whatever you chose if only in case of an emergency. I'm the driver 99.9% of the time, my DH drove us back to our site after he spent a week in the hospital rv space while I had surgery ;-) He now drives about 1 hour a year just so he keeps his skills.

When we started looking for our full-time rig we made a list of the must haves (about 3) and never wavered. We planned on 2+ years to find it & it showed up about 3 months later. Really consider the living space. Slides will make your life easier just make sure the passenger is comfortable with the slides closed. A bath & 1/2 might also be a lifesaver with 3 people.

Best of luck on your search.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the great post, Lynne!

My wife will like the thought that driving a large rig could work for her.

I found PPL and have bookmarked it. I was originally warned off of dealers but I'll take the recommendation and when we're ready I'll get in touch with them.

I also appreciate the price info and references to getting help in campgrounds and the mention of Work Kamper News. Lots of good info and encouragement in your message.

Best to you and thanks again.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Hi Jerry,

You can do this. There are some AMAZING places to see in this country and what a great opportunity for all of you.

Come back when you have more questions because you will and we will continue to advise. This is going to be a great experience for your family.

Lynne

Tags