Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Newbie question about awnings

on a dometic manual awning do you have to unroll it all the way or is it ok to only partially deploy it

also, how much wind can it stand? When it is fully open it seems like it makes a lot of noise and shakes the TT in a relatively light wind on my rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

A manual awning is most secure and stable when fully extended with the adjustable support arms properly tightened .

Depending on your length of stay and expected weather conditions , you can use de-flappers between the edge of the fabric and the lock arms and even tie downs at the ends of the tube for more stability .
However should you be faced with a sudden wind event all the additional hardware slows you down if retracting the awning becomes necessary.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #3

I would unroll it all the way, but you don't have to lift it all the way with the struts. In fact it is desirable to leave one end lower so that it drains faster. You can tie the awning down using lines or straps to corkscrew type dog stakes.
Our current coach has an electric awning that I like a lot less than our old manual ones. We don't leave it out any time we leave and roll it up whenever the wind gets up to 10 mph because it bangs around so much.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

Don't leave the park with the awning down. You never know when a gust of wind comes up. We had to rescue a couple neighbors' while they were gone. Once the wind catches them they are like sails.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do this most of the time with our manual awning, especially when its a little windy. heres how:

1) Unroll it all the way out, as normal.

2) Raise the two telescoping top support arms and latch them into place as you normally do, but don't tighten the telescoping locking knobs.

3) now retract the awning as far as it will go, with the top support arms compressing back together as the awning is retracted.

4) When its retracted as far as it will go, I use my hands to try to roll it just a little more to see if I can get the ratchet to lock one more tooth. Leave the ratchet lock in the retract position.

5) I raise the awning (the angle) just enough so the entry door won't hit it.

This process leaves the awning about 2/3 extended, and provides good structural support if the winds kick up a little.

To retract the awning is just doing the reverse: re-extended it out to full length, release the lock clips for the top telescoping support arms, slide the top telescoping support arms down to their stored position. The awning can then be retracted as normal.

AS always, I keep the awning angle as steep as I can, and always have one side lower than the other. This will prevent a water pool from forming if its raining. If a water pool forms, the weight can bend / break the rollup tube.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can unroll it whatever length you want, as long as you secure the arms.

I would not consider ever holding our awning down with ropes and such. If you expect that much wind, it shouldn't be deployed in the first place.

BTW, we never leave our trailer except for very short periods of time (minutes), with the awning deployed. Don't waste your money on deflappers.....we have two we used once. I had to get a ladder to install them, and they don't roll up with the fabric. Slows down the retraction if a big wind comes up and you have to react fast.

My brother in law found out the hard way why. $4k damage to his rig and required replacing the entire 20 foot awning during a wind storm when they were miles away.

That is my recommendations and opinions. Others may vary.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #7

thanks everyone, sounds like you do the same as I was, I just thought maybe I was a little paranoid
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbTN View Post
thanks everyone, sounds like you do the same as I was, I just thought maybe I was a little paranoid
It pays to be paranoid when dealing with awnings!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #9

I don't see much value in putting an awning part of the way out. We use ours to place a picnic or other table under along with a couple ice chest coolers. Maybe even a chair or two. At times I have wished my awning was even wider and longer.
I use De-Flappers and a tie down strap which hooks to turn in style anchors.
If I suspect a wind storm coming in I roll the awning up until the weather clears again.
It doesn't take any less time to retract a partially deployed awning than one which is fully extended. In fact it may take more time.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I don't see much value in putting an awning part of the way out.
I do it as it reduces the area exposed to winds. I generally leave mine out all the time, unless there are severe thunderstorm or high wind warnings, then I roll up the awning and the window awnings.

I'm not sure how this would work with the electric awnings, they seem a lot more fragile than the manual awning.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

When we had a manual and were staying for any length of time I used a sun shade as a tie down and left the awning up in all but worst conditions or high wind fcst.
If you place the support leg(s) on the ground you get less noise inside the MH and dont whack your head on the angled support.
With elec my sun shade holds it down from floppingvsnd I turn off the auto retract.
My sun shade is 2 piece w a zipper partway so it's easy to unzip & retract at any time and easy to extend and reattach when wanted.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #12

I know any time after a rain storm you can pull the awning out all the way and it will be wet. If you are going to pull the awning only partially out I would suggest you pull it all the way out to let the awning dry then retract it to your desired length. If it rains while the awning is out part way, extend it all the way before rolling it up again to let it dry and prevent mildew.
Lynn
Old 06-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #13

Never leave your rv with the awning out. We were at Disney a year ago a bad thunderstorm came up and ripped 7 awnings off rv in fort wilderness at the same time.
Daverene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, awnings, newbie