Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newbie question - regarding age of RV

Hi everyone! I hate asking stupid questions but I have not seen this discussed on the threads I have been looking at. Does the age of an motorhome restrict its entry to some RV campgrounds? I saw where someone said that 10 years was too old. We just bought a 2002 - tell me it isn't so!
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
just adjust your model year on "statistics" and no one hear will rat you out
actually the parks that restrict based on age would not be a place most of the new friends
i've found here would by pass those parks
rv in what you brung
welcome
brianj
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #3

Most upscale parks or "resorts" as they call themselves have a 10 year rule. I have been asked a few times the age of my motorhome which is under 10 years old and when I asked if they were firm on the rule some said your motorhome would need to be approved at the time of arrival. I think in most cases the 10 year rule is just to keep out junkers.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

I have only seen the 10 year rule at a few "resort" listed campgrounds. As noted above, they offer an exception for older MH's after inspection. At one park I saw a lovely renewed BlueBird that was at least 50 years old. At the Oasis in Las Vegas I often see lovely older RV's, both MHs and trailers. I too believe the rule is intended to keep out unpainted plywood sidings and RV's that leak fluids all over the concrete.
Happy Trails and enjoy your new rig.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm a newbie, too. It never occurred to me that I might be turned away somewhere! Good to know. Better check rules of places before I hit the open road! (of course with my little clunker trailer, I'm sure I won't be looking at staying in anything called a "resort" anyway )
New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

With the downturn in RV travel since gas prices went up, I'm surprised any park has enough business to turn people away.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
With the downturn in RV travel since gas prices went up, I'm surprised any park has enough business to turn people away.
With things the way they are in this country today all but the very "elite" wont turn you down. Times are bad for them too. However junkers might be turned down..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #9

We are in the middle of a six week trip and when I made reservations one person did ask the age of our motor home. It is under 10 years so no issue. But before this we had a 33 year old GMC and we never once were turned away. We went to some high end parks with our wonderful GMC. She was in very good condition though. Bottom line, if your rig does not look like a clunker there should be no problem.

We drive a very high end rig at this time. I bought it because we can afford it and I love futzing with all the high end gadgets on this thing and fixing them, working on them. But IMHO a park that really does only want the shiny new beautiful rigs would be a place I would avoid.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When they ask what year, say Duh 2011!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #11

Like someone mentioned, most of those places have the "inspection" exception to the rule. If the coach looks decent they'll let you in. Some of those places just consider themselves too fancy and want too keep up appeareances by not having beat up rigs hanging out. I actually looked at one of those the other day and on top of that the website said minimum lenght '30. I had to read it a few times, minimum??? I guess my 18' is not fancy enough...
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to zenkayaker Send a message via Skype™ to zenkayaker
MORNING MAGGIE !!!!! welcome to the wonderfull and wacky world of wonderment and mistakes !!!!! we all started out as "newbie's" and having said so ,have all ask MANY "dumb questions",!!!!! no questions no fun or learning .ENJOY THE ROAD,later gumby/zenkayaker [somewhere in NC ] LATER
zenkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #13

Some parks can and do have year restrictions and do enforce them. Some "resorts" also restrict class C's and trailers. I can understand why they may choose to do that. Just like some communities don't allow pets, kids, or are over 55 only, after all they are privately owned. The answer is don't spend your money at a park if you don't like their restrictions. What I personally don't like is the "subject to inspection rule" eather you do or you don't, but thats just me.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #14

I think Groucho Marks once said, "I am not sure I would want to belong to a club that would let someone like me it."

I understand fully why some parks would want to keep out derelict looking rigs. I guess. Some of my good friends drive rigs that look pretty derelict and the owners happen to be pretty nice people.

I personally like parks that have a mix of motor homes, trailers, tenters, That gives you the opportunity to meet a wide variety of campers. I also like parks with kids. Not crazed super noisy kids, but average ones.

The park we are in right now is perfect. Nowhere Montana with nice owners. Motor homes, trailers, fifth wheels, tents, and truck campers. Everyone has a smile on their face and no one is in a hurry.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags