Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikuto View Post
I was wondering about this. Is it possible to just pull over on the side of a road and park there for a few days while we explore? I was under the impression that we needed to get into the actual camping site or "allowed" area before setting up basecamp and heading out. Forgive my ignorance.
My understanding is that you can camp on federal public land unless it is posted otherwise. Sometimes it is just a wide spot on a forest service road. Often the only improvement are made by previous campers such as rock fire rings.

This site is one I like: https://freecampsites.net/

It is common to provide access and time limits.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
My understanding is that you can camp on federal public land unless it is posted otherwise. Sometimes it is just a wide spot on a forest service road. Often the only improvement are made by previous campers such as rock fire rings.

This site is one I like: https://freecampsites.net/

It is common to provide access and time limits.
All forest service have their rules for where you can park so no, you can't park just anywhere. You need to read the dispersed camping rules of the forest you're in. It might state how far off the road you need to be; how far away from water you need to be (lakes, streams); how long you can stay, etc. "Normally", if you see a well-used area and a fire ring it is o.k. to park there but I'd still check the regulations just in case. The next patrolling ranger might suddenly enforce the rule of no parking there. What is really frowned on is driving through or cutting vegetation to get to a new spot. Always use a pre-used spot.

We've never seen the forest service actually post with signs where you can park or not. It's up to you to know the rules.

This dispersed camping information is on each national forest site. If you see the ranger station that's also a good place to stop and get information and maps.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #17

Some dispersed camping areas in national forest are also seasonal
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
All forest service have their rules for where you can park so no, you can't park just anywhere. You need to read the dispersed camping rules of the forest you're in.
No I do not have to read any rules. The beauty of boondocking is there is not three page list of handed to you at check in. There is no checkin, no standing line to wait for some unmotivated goverment worker to let you know you are bothering them.

There is no park, there is no park ranger.

The only protection I have is a fire extinguisher and wasp spray.

Yes you need to have some common sense, yes you need to respect our lands and yes you need to be aware of the dangers so you do not become part of the food chain.

Yes there are places with rules. One of the rules is the rule have to have a substantive reason.

When I was working I had a copy of 10CFR50 on my desk. Those were the rules I followed. Many times I had people tell they could not do something because it was against federal regulations. I would ask to site the regulation because I knew they were making it up.

So there is an infinite number of places to boondock. There is a finite number of places you can camp for free but there are rules. There are places you have to pay and more rules.

Tags
buying, newbie