Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
1st.. View the "tag" lines at the bottom of the responding posters..
To give you an Idea of where they are coming from and the equipment they have.

Could you put that information in your tag line?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #16

We bought a 40' diesel toy hauler this year. It's our first RV of any kind. We like to drive so we learned how to manage the beast quickly. It's nothing you or your wife cannot handle if you have confidence in your current driving abilities. I would take a driving course if you are not sure tho. I say go for it if that's what you think is best for the two of you.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We first had a 31' Class C and then graduated to a ~40' Class A. We both actually think the Class A is easier to drive. We haven't any problem finding places to stay. I do use Google Earth to get closer looks at areas as far as access and size of camp sites.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #18

I would add this bit of advice: Definitely take a driving class, both of you, BUT be sure it is given by someone who is truly qualified to do so.

They need to hold at least a Class B with Passenger endorsement license and be an official tester with their state DMV. The reason for the passenger endorsement is this: You can get a class B to drive a Box truck over 26,001 GVWR which is MUCH different than driving a class A motorhome. The closest experience to a Class A is a passenger motorcoach.

Getting bad information from a non professional acting as a "driving instructor" may be worse than not taking a class at all.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Marty....we've had three DP's, a 36' Monaco Diplomat and two 40' Newmar Dutch Stars. Going larger comes with some issues, but are easily mitigated with some planning. We like to camp at Yosemite, during Thanksgiving, every other year. We know the numbers of the large sites and book early. We can get our 40' coach in Yosemite with a few feet to spare. Yellowstone also offers many sites (they're rebuilding the park this year) that will fit a max of 40'.

We been all over the country and to most National Parks out west. The problem you'll have at this is point in time is a record number of RVer's in the past few years. We like the Grand Canyon and can fit at the campground (Trailer Village) inside the park, but it's almost impossible to get a reservation. Consequently, we stay at one just outside the gate or at one in Williams, 50 miles away.

If you're going full time, you'll have the ability to plan ahead and make reservations or stay at a private campground near the park and drive in with a toad at your leisure.

This past summer, we went to Glacier National Park. There was really no place to stay in the park, but just outside the park is the nicest KOA in the United States (voted as such in 2018 and is on the cover of the KOA Kampground Guide). It was one of the nicest parks we've been to and had huge sites for large RV's.

Will you be able to stay in some old State or County parks, maybe not, but having a large RV has never been something we regretted.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll limit my comments to the boondocking and overnight stays. Also, a comment or two on the driving of a class A. I am a recent owner of an older Country Coach. This early Spring on a trip we chased after campgrounds time and again to be disappointed. My favorite stay was a new Cabellas. Flat new blacktop, only one other outfit there and easy to get in and out of. Also had a new dumpstation though I didnt need to use it. I have decided to seek out those types of places in the future instead of chasing after a campground only to find a tight back-in, fight the trees spot. As far as driving goes, I love how the class A looks over most other traffic. Being far sighted I can see signs etc much sooner than I can in other rigs I have driven. I think your wife might find this useful and perhaps give her a little extra level of comfortability.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags