Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Newbie with a most basic question

Hello. I have a new RV (Winnebago Itasca Spirit) that was a wonderful surprise. I am in such shock and awe about the whole thing. I have read zillions of posts, books, owners manual ... and to be quite honest -- find the entire thing completely overwhelming!

There seems to be so much to know, so much upkeep -- that it makes my brain feel as though its in a blender.

I am so in love with my new RV and am paranoid I won't take perfect care of it for my lack of knowledge. And, this is someone who spent the night in a friend's TT and had to get dressed to come out of the shower wondering how the heck the water comes on... (stop laughing).

How did you get started RV'ing? How do you learn all there is to know? trial and error? I have asked an independent RV fix-it guy to come give me a walk-thru. Thinking that when I go on my first real journey I will be fretting the entire time. I did drive it home, through 4 states, 3 of which it was raining, mountains, toll booths and tunnels. Whew. 12 hour drive alone, but home safe and sound -- and rather proud of myself.

Any very beginner advice from those of you long time experienced RV'rs? I just want to take great care of this lovely gift and make the most out of my HUGE surprise.

Thanks!!
DCPakaMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

and congrats on your new rig!

IMHO, so far you've done ALL of the right things by reading zillions of posts and your manuals. You'll find that's an ongoing process so freely post questions here... use the search function to get to specifics... browse new topics posted by clicking on the "new posts" button near the top and read those which seem interesting/relavent to you.

We got started by purchasing a brand new 40 foot diesel pusher for our first RV so I know it can feel overwhelming but take it in bite size chuncks and knowledge will begin to stick and you'll surprise yourself.

One point I would leave you with regarding maintenance in a broad sense; if you have never been the type of person who likes to tinker and fix things... try to change. There will CONSTANTLY be things which need tightening, replacing, fixing, etc and it's all part of the TLC required when we take our "homes" and bounce them down the road. It's not that tough and will make your RV experience so much more enjoyable if you roll up your sleves a little bit and get to know your coach.

Best of luck and we're glad you found us!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome to the world of RVing.

Youv'e mastered the first part. You drove it through several states with no problem. Well done!

Next, read the manuals. Especially the operator's manual for the chassis. That should give you the maintenance schedule for the most costly part of your rig.

Keep the manuals handy for reference.

You will not learn it all at once, but continue to read the messages on this and similar boards. Soon you will be helping others while learning yourself.

Reminder, there are no dumb questions. So post your concerns.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

My first foray was in a 2000 VW Camper, next a Winnebago Rialta, Airstream Land Yacht mh, older Winnebago Suprchief, and now a 2000 Hurricane. My advice is to do the maintenance. Wash, wax, caulk, check tire pressure regularily, follow the maintenace schedule of the chassis. Good luck and enjoy.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RELAX it will be FINE. You have done the HARDEST part learning to drive it. The rest is EASY.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPakaMOM View Post
Hello. I have a new RV (Winnebago Itasca Spirit) that was a wonderful surprise. I am in such shock and awe about the whole thing. I have read zillions of posts, books, owners manual ... and to be quite honest -- find the entire thing completely overwhelming!

There seems to be so much to know, so much upkeep -- that it makes my brain feel as though its in a blender.

I am so in love with my new RV and am paranoid I won't take perfect care of it for my lack of knowledge. And, this is someone who spent the night in a friend's TT and had to get dressed to come out of the shower wondering how the heck the water comes on... (stop laughing).

How did you get started RV'ing? How do you learn all there is to know? trial and error? I have asked an independent RV fix-it guy to come give me a walk-thru. Thinking that when I go on my first real journey I will be fretting the entire time. I did drive it home, through 4 states, 3 of which it was raining, mountains, toll booths and tunnels. Whew. 12 hour drive alone, but home safe and sound -- and rather proud of myself.

Any very beginner advice from those of you long time experienced RV'rs? I just want to take great care of this lovely gift and make the most out of my HUGE surprise.

Thanks!!
Relax: Its not the destination; its the journey;
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to each of you. Overwhelmed but will enjoy the ride. My "dream catcher" RV is beginning to make my dreams come true. I just want to take good care of it.

As Rick said, I need to learn to tinker - just scared of making anything worse. I think Coach-Net will also be a good friend when needed. Hubby has his boat -- I have the RV. Only wish he was a good tinker-er. Not mechanically inclined at all.

A ton of wisdom on the list though!

I feel like I have a new virtual family of sorts. I now look at RVs on the road and think - hey, there goes one of my peeps!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll bet you a dime if you attend the iRV2 national rally in september 2011 you will meet alot of iRV2 folks that can show you how to do about anything you would ever want to do with you MoHo. Not to far from NC.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f60/2011-...lly-84369.html

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you get into RV parks, don't be afraid to ask your fellow campers to show you "stuff" they would love to help.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I'll bet you a dime if you attend the iRV2 national rally in september 2011 you will meet alot of iRV2 folks that can show you how to do about anything you would ever want to do with you MoHo. Not to far from NC.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f60/2011-...lly-84369.html

jack

Oh Jack, that would be just a ton of fun! That is the same week as my first long RV outing. I show golden retrievers and that is our Golden Retriever National show September 24 - Oct 1 at the Olympic Horse Park in Conyers, Georgia. Me and 3 of my dogs will be packing up to head down for the week.

I would go if it was a different week. Dang! What an opportunity that would be for me. And, you are right, not that far away! Would be great to get to know some fellow RVrs.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll give you the same advise that was given to me. Open the hood of the RV in any campground or RV park, and they will come flocking around.
Great way to meet people, get advise on every trick in the book.
Welcome ~ Good Luck ~ Happy Camping
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I show golden retrievers...
Oh, you handed us this one, fellow dog show attendee: Dirt Devil central vac from Camping World for you!!

Wife and I are fresh refugees from the puddles of pee in the elevators, dogs barking in adjacent rooms, etc. Shows are so much better, when you can walk to your own "home" between events. We do Agility, regional only.

Congrats, and welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Havana pauses at apex in Wichita Falls    photo by Courtney Keys.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	11956  
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
CD

Quote:

Thanks!!
I would make my first "camping trip" by my house. Spend a night or 2 in the MH and find out what you want /need to live in it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If you're interested in suggestions for a place to consider for a somewhat local trip... at least still in NC... I think you would love Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog!

We spent a month there last spring. It is the only park we've found designed, built, and managed for dogs! Adults (and dogs) only!

The owners are great German folks who are Corgi nuts and they teach agility there at the park for anyone interested. They built the entire place by hand so most of the sites have shade and the location is well out in the woods outside of Rutherfordton. Seven different dog parks on site including two agility courses... an indoor dog DIY bathing and grooming facility... a swimming pond for the dogs... and a long walking trail through the woods that our three dogs just loved. Owners Mike and Bridgette put on a theme potluck every Saturday night... he's a retired corporate trainer and has a great stage presence to keep everyone involved.

Lots of fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags