Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

Newbies

my wife and I just purchased a used new horizon and ram 3500 dually, I drove it from Ft Collins to Green River Utah, but did not get the chance to camp in it. Now my wife wants to go up to northern Utah to see some of our kids and grand children. the highs will be in the mid 30's. It has a good heater and fire place and I plan to take a space heater just in case we need it. What I worry about is this could make her regret this trip and maybe those in the future. We will be staying in RV campgrounds with hookups. Any suggestions
bikerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Northern Utah is a sizeable area, that could mean Provo or Logan. If near SLC, the Salt Lake KOA seems pretty nice and close to downtown, I-80 and I-15. If Provo area, Provo River Resort in Provo Canyon is beautiful. Hopefully no regrets! Higher elevations in the Wasatch Range like Alta are due for 18+ inches of snow tonight though!
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:47 AM   #3

Presumably, you bought it to use it. So, use it.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:31 AM   #4

How long will you be below freezing at night? Suggest opening cabinets that have water lines in them (such as under the kitchen/bathroom sinks) to let warm air circulate and help keep the pipes from freezing.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #5

Obviously dress for the weather. Fill your water tank and use that instead of leaving a hose attached(it can freeze). Take stuff to keep your mind occupied, that way you dont need to be at your children's house to always be entertained and be able to get some "you" time.

Go and have fun, make memories and congrates on the trailer!
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #6

how do you keep your rig warm while traveling down the road
bikerdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude1 View Post
I run the propane furnace in my Dynasty while driving, but trailers are very different. My understanding is they can't -or shouldn't- be occupied while moving due to crash safety issues. Being unoccupied then makes it unsafe to run the furnace or heater. I'm sure someone with more experience than me can offer a different, and maybe better, opinion.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well you would think that after leaving the CG, the inside of unit would be somewhat warm, that should last a few hrs or so. How many hrs driving b4 next stop?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
I run the propane furnace in my Dynasty while driving, but trailers are very different. My understanding is they can't -or shouldn't- be occupied while moving due to crash safety issues. Being unoccupied then makes it unsafe to run the furnace or heater. I'm sure someone with more experience than me can offer a different, and maybe better, opinion.

Should folks turn off their furnaces and heaters when leaving their rv unoccupied for a day while in a campsite? I’m not following the logic of not heating it because it’s unoccupied as a safety reason. I do see the logic of not heating an unoccupied space, but that’s more a waste of money than safety.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

When it's below freezing, we run the furnace as we travel. No less safe than running one in a motor home IMHO. We unplug any space heaters when we leave. We also don't plug space heaters that only draw 1500 watts into the RV outlets. This avoids overheating the RV wiring. Run you water only to fill the onboard tank and deploy your stinky slinky only to dump. Put a down comforter on the bed and snuggle. We rarely use campground showers except in cold weather, depending on the campground. Moisture generated inside the camper is a big enemy. You just have to do it to find how your camper responds to cold. We stay more comfortable in ours at 30˚ than in 100+˚.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have tank heaters? Are the storage bays with water lines heated? Something to think about!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude1 View Post
If its needed, you can use the furnace. Same thing if you have a propane refrigerator. People do this all the time.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Should folks turn off their furnaces and heaters when leaving their rv unoccupied for a day while in a campsite? I’m not following the logic of not heating it because it’s unoccupied as a safety reason. I do see the logic of not heating an unoccupied space, but that’s more a waste of money than safety.
OP has a trailer, not a class A motorhome. I've never owned a trailer, but I understood that there are usually no passengers while it's moving (would also violate every state's seat belt law, as there can be no more passengers than there are belts). They're not built to withstand crashes the way a truck is. It was good for a laugh when Lucy and Desi did it, but in real life, it's a bad idea. Second, if it's moving, it would be running on battery power because most trailers don't have generators that can run while in motion like a motorhome does. At least, I've not seen one. Even on propane, how long would a furnace run before depleting house batteries? Probably not long. Leaving it running at a campground presumably wouldn't be an issue because it would be connected to shore power.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
OP has a trailer, not a class A motorhome. I've never owned a trailer, but I understood that there are usually no passengers while it's moving (would also violate every state's seat belt law, as there can be no more passengers than there are belts). They're not built to withstand crashes the way a truck is. It was good for a laugh when Lucy and Desi did it, but in real life, it's a bad idea. Second, if it's moving, it would be running on battery power because most trailers don't have generators that can run while in motion like a motorhome does. At least, I've not seen one. Even on propane, how long would a furnace run before depleting house batteries? Probably not long. Leaving it running at a campground presumably wouldn't be an issue because it would be connected to shore power.
I don’t know if a Horizon has a generator, but to say all trailers are not like motor homes as far as generators go is incorrect. And if it doesn’t, you could always set a generator in the bed of your pickup to run the furnace.

Our 44’ Cyclone toy hauler had an Onan equal to most motor homes and although I would never let anyone ride while traveling, we almost always ran the ac’s in summer and furnace in winter while traveling in extreme temps. When we stopped, it was always comfortable.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbies