Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ya think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.... sorry.

Your plan "asks" for the cooperation and coordination of DEALER OWNED resources (shops and garages) to be used by Newmar techs on their site.... Too many variables, insurance being one of them, travel costs of the techs..... sorry I just disagree.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #16

I am not suggesting cooperation, but, rather a business venture ("deep pockets" reference) with unemployed workers. Leasing a recently closed facility does not take cooperation, but money. Utilizing materials and parts does not take coordination, but, simply, a phone call. This would not necessarily be limited to ex- employees of Newmar, since there are many, many laid off workers.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Chicadee, I think your idea is spot on. It's what I would consider to fill the void for my loyal long time employees.

Bob, I'm surprised at you. Your the guy who would drive thousands of miles, in the dead of winter, through ice and snow to have cabinets made and installed in Nappanee, wouldn't something closer to home make more sense?

There may be many facilities becoming available around the country as some Newmar dealers fold their tents.

I still think a National service chain dedicated to Motorhome service and repair will be the answer. Camping World is trying.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Update:

NAPPANEE ---- Newmar Corp. will be laying off an unspecified number of its 780-person work force, Keith Weinrich, director of human resources, confirmed Monday afternoon.

The layoffs will be effective July 9, Weinrich said. The layoffs are taking place because "of the slowdown in the economy and the lack of demand for RV products," he added.

The company eliminated 118 positions in a late January layoff. Weinrich refused to indicate a number or percentage of the work force to be laid off.

Reports have indicated as much as 40 percent of the work force would be laid off. "I won't confirm that number," Weinrich said.

Weinrich said the company is currently on its annual shutdown, complicating matters in terms of notifying workers if they have been laid off.

The mood at the plant is not just one of concern over losing a job but also about finding one.

"And the biggest concern is that there are not a lot of other RV employment opportunities out there," Weinrich said.

SOURCE: South Bend Tribune

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #19

I'm with the others looking for positive alternatives. Regardless of debt structure this has to be tough on anyone in the business. Why not try something rather than "circle the wagons"? The ideas above can be tried on a small scale (regional).
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Since Newmar is cutting back to save money, I don't see them expanding to other parts of the country.

The expense of the start up would be prohibitive.

I do think expanding to paid work in Nappanee would be cost effective. They have the trained people and infrastructure in place now.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

Now Dirk, your idea is spot on....

Newmar would have to enter into partnerships with these dealers or other folks, and we all know that Newmar nor the dealers have any money.
Just look at the dealer in California who recently CLOSED six dealerships.... As we all know, this is just the tip of the iceberg...
It takes money to make money and right now, especially with them cutting some FIFTY PERCENT of their workforce, I don't think they're looking at spending any money, especially "prospecting" on some service idea.

And Steve.... I wouldn't be caught dead with anything I owned in a Camping World lot, if they were going to be the ones doing the work.
Ever hear the old adage that you get what you pay for?

Furthermore, the whole reason I did drive to Nappanee in the first place was that, due to the complexity and nature of my issues, I felt it best to go "where they make it" and let them have the first shot at fixing it, rather than letting some dealer tech do the old "diagnose and call" routine for several days.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I wouldn't be caught dead with anything I owned in a Camping World lot... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to be of the same opinion but, when the smoke clears, they may be one of the few providers left standing.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been thru the layoff thing at IBM. I was lucky in the they offered a bridge to my retirement. I took it in 92 and was drawing my pension in 95. I was also working for Dell at until I had enough of their "do more with less" attitude.

This is no different than what happened to the snowmobile industry back in the 70's. There must have been 15 or so OEM's. But, after couple of bad winters (no snow) all but about 4 went under.

Lastly my dealer has 4 sales lcation in Texas and the one I bought mine from did NOT order any 09 Newmar class A's. They have only 1 service appointment at the end of June. Normally there are booked 2 to 3 weeks out. They are also laying off service techs.

The bottom line is,"I would rather have 60% of something than 100% of nothing."
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...I wouldn't be caught dead with anything I owned in a Camping World lot... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to be of the same opinion but, when the smoke clears, they may be one of the few providers left standing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me thinks that when the smoke clears and there aren't a lot of visitors to those Camping World stores, even the folks at AG will be counting their coin.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #25

It looks like Bob Lee of Country Coach already has the coach updating idea.
http://tinyurl.com/6oy63g

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
He's a smart man.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #27

Not only is he bright, but he is open-minded, a great listener, and doesn't always have to have the last word on every subject!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #28

In my opinion, the layoff is a smart move given the status of the industry. I would personally think they are trying to do what they can to keep their heads above the water and survive the hardships facing the RV industry. If they can maintain during this slow time with a reduced workforce and keep the business profitable, then it should be a good move on their part and could actually give them a leg up on competition.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote