Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #29
Administrator Emeritus

Looks like to me he's good at starting new ideas and smart enough to sell them when they're popular..... Monaco, Country Coach are both his ideas which he's moved on from, for the most part.... kudos to him.

Having the idea that Newmar would have the resources to do this is just not a plausible idea.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #30

Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't recall ever endorsing Camping World at all. The were only mentioned as the only "to date" National Repair Orginization" out there. I too, would not let them change a tire for me.
Why is it being viewed as a major ordeal to set up a couple of regional Newmar service centers. Sheesh. It should be a piece of cake, oh and don't forget, a profit center to.

Bob your statement proves out the need for more regional service centers, since the dealer techs are so inept it necessitates a trip to Nappanee.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Wow..... Asking a small family owned RV business who has just furloughed over 50 percent of it's workforce to invest in something they've never considered, even when the market was going gangbusters.

Apparently it's hard to understand the demographics of deciding a location, procuring a building,determining who will staff said building and how to provide tools and of course the shipping of parts to this building.... all require MONEY.

Planning costs, the cost of the building whether rented or bought, labor costs, insurance and the ever necessary shipping costs..... all to "speculate" on opening a regional service center which only a select few RV owners at best, could even get to.

All one need do is read our very own regional forums, where you can personally read the "regrets" posted by fellow iRV2 members as they "opt out" of traveling due to the ever rising cost of fuel.
There are even several owners who have announced their intentions to sell their rigs, as they're not able to afford the hobby any longer.
Fulltimers are having to make hard decisions, especially those whom are on fixed incomes..... They're finding it more advantageous to stay longer in one place rather than move around the country and spend precious dollars on fuel.

Newmar has gotten this far in this market by making calculated and well timed decisions..... they don't do anything new very fast.....
Seems that's worked for them for a long time and there's no need to change that philosophy in my opinion.

Dirk's suggestion to use some of the furloughed folks in a service role at the factory seems the best use for this time....
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
maybe its time to think outa the box. For the entire industry!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #33
Administrator Emeritus

<yawn>

G'night all..... I'm sure we'll be beating this one around tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by warrenh:
It looks like Bob Lee of Country Coach already has the coach updating idea.
http://tinyurl.com/6oy63g </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the Sportfishing boating industry did in the early/mid nineties when the Luxury tax killed them. Those that did the refurb business survived and some did quite well when the industry recovered. But guess what they are in a world of you know what again! Some of the small custom builders have not built a boat in the past 3 years.

Grandchildren Tour '08
Old 07-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #35

Mid Atlantic Campers
&lt;yawn&gt;
I doubt it,
say good night Gracy.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #36

The problem I had with the Dealers is that they could not solve my issues. So I am going to take the Coach to Nappanee and "Hope" I can get things fixed there!!!

Rick
Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #37

I think the first thing the Millers need to do is expand their "winter" policy of performing refurbs/upgrades/non-warranty work and parts AT A DISCOUNT to a much larger portion of the year. For instance, make it available anytime except the busiest months of June, July & August. By next year when warranty work slows down, go to 12 months a year. I think they could put folks back to work, make some money, and keep customers much happier than being forced to come up in the dead of winter. I think we are going to see more folks upgrading their current coach instead of buying a new coach with the current economic situation.

Setting up satellite locations around the country is an expensive proposition. It requires large buildings, parts logistics, and either training or relocation of employees. If I read the Country Coach article correctly, it looks like their refurb plant is not too far from their main plant. This isn't nearly the nightmare that setting up plants across the country would be.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #38
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Setting up satellite locations around the country is an expensive proposition. It requires large buildings, parts logistics, and either training or relocation of employees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's at least one of ya that agrees with me.... careful John, that puts you on a slippery slope!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Any possibility of four regional Newmar national semi trailer type mobile units. The mobile units could travel (with some of the laided off workers plus parts), across a region of the country to an RV service center near you. The mobile units could handle Newmar minor level repairs/parts/upgrades you want fixed, but really hate waiting till that cold winter appointment for the major repairs. Sometimes you just gotta get outta the box like "Snap On Tools". The market can't wait for anyone not taking the lead, remember Alfa Leisure... A mobile unit and phone appointment is far cheaper than trying to set up plants across the country. Doc
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
John the only slippey slope is if yer standing on Bobs head.

People just make mountains outa mole hills, probably cause it wasn't their idea, and if its not someones own idea, then it can't possably be any good.

Doc USAF, Great idea It has merit.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #41
Administrator Emeritus

If I don't miss my guess, your hairdo, (or lack thereof) is similar to mine....

If you're referring to me with the "mountain outta molehills" comment, last time I checked we were all able to express our opinions....

All these ideas take money, something that none of these RV manufacturers seem to have around, given that they've shuttered production and laid people off.
I'm not thinking any of these smaller Amish manufacturers are hoarding any big savings accounts....

Bob Lee was smart enough to invent something....sell it... and then open a business repairing them right down the street from what he invented.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #42
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any possibility of four regional Newmar national semi trailer type mobile units. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not Newmar, too expensive, IMHO.

I've seen the rally teams several times, and logistics are just too expensive now.

Limited parts on hand, parts overnighted, limited tools on hand, motel, and travel expenses.

I just don't see anything other than the possibility of paid work at the factory, year round.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote