Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
NH 9% more costly for RV'ers

For those that plan on visiting NH, adjust your campground budget by 9%.

This is not the fault of campgound owners so don't take it out on them.

FYI to those that may visit NH but are not aware of the change. In June the State passed an increase in the rooms and meals tax from 8% to 9%. The former 8% tax did not apply to campsites but the change to 9% does. Net result RV'ers go from 0% to 9%.

Campground owners and others tried to fight it but were not successful. As one owner pointed out he doesn't rent rooms, he rents dirt.

For those with future plans to camp in NH. Welcome to tax free NH.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

As I set in Great Falls MT and read this post I feel much better coming this direction. Remember when the ME campground owners wanted to stop overnight parking anywhere except a campground, well I changed my plans to go west. It appesrs to be the correct direction now.
What's interesting is I'm parked next to a family from ME, about 35 miles from NH, and you should hear some of the stories about campgrounds in their area. They will do anything to make a dollar, kinda like a KOA campground, start you at one price and add from there.
As they said, the only way you can get their attention is through their pocket book!
Going west and enjoying it!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not disagreeing with what you said but this is different from the parking issue. The NH Campground Owners had no control over this. NH camping season isn't that long so for some campgrounds any loss of business because of this could be the difference in making it or not in this economy.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

The point here is the campground owners can put pressure on their fine government officials and let them know they are not collecting tax money!
The only thing that a politican understands is MONEY, you take it away from them they die!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It's not that easy as saying I not going to collect your tax money. The State will just fine the Campground owner.
What we have to do as RVers is write to the NH tourism Board and let them know that we will stay in MASS, VT, or Maine and not visit NH until the Campground Tax is changed.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
WHAT!?! Consider NH a wash as NH has no sales tax.

New Hampshire is one of only 5 states that has NO sales tax.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
It's not that easy as saying I not going to collect your tax money. The State will just fine the Campground owner.
What we have to do as RVers is write to the NH tourism Board and let them know that we will stay in MASS, VT, or Maine and not visit NH until the Campground Tax is changed.
VT or ME, maybe but the only CGs I saw in Mass couldn't accommodate anything bigger than an 8X20 TT and that is tight.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maine is no better than nh. We recently spent a night in nh, and were ripped off to the tune of $64 for one night for a camping spot where i just barely fit and couldn't open my front slide. We had no other choice because we just came off the ferry from nova scotia and there were no other campgrounds close. I agree, next year i am going west.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, the easiest solution to keep the prices from going up 9% is to lower the campground prices by 9% if they are worried about the change in price.

Btw, what the devil is in New Hampshire? Its currently on my list of states in the way of getting somewhere else, with northern Utah and southern Wyoming.
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The campgrounds here are really expensive also. We just paid over $800 plus electricity ($0.16 per KW HR) for a five week stay. The campground isn't bad but I can get better for a lot less out west.

If we didn't have kids and grand kids here we would not come back ever.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #11

Even more bothersome than the 9% increase is the attitude of most (not all) campground owners or operators in all of the northeast. I'm a Ma. transplant that now lives in FL and will not camp in New England unless I have no other option. Many act as if they're doing you a favor by letting you stay in their campground.. Just my opinion.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #12

Connecticut CG's

Not to be out done, CT has just anounced that as of Oct 1, 2009 they are doubling the price of admission to all state operated CG's. Imagine that, no hookups,no room for any RV over 25' and you get to pay about $30 for the privilege.
Does this mean the private CG's will raise rates to take up the overflow from those who won't go to the state CG's?
Ah yes, Connecticut...land of steady habits. All bad!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #13

There is one better than the %9.
the states the add an extra fee to their out of state visitors to their state parks.
These states I do not visit.
Instead of collecting my camping fee; they get nothing.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
FYI to those that may visit NH but are not aware of the change. In June the State passed an increase in the rooms and meals tax from 8% to 9%. The former 8% tax did not apply to campsites but the change to 9% does. Net result RV'ers go from 0% to 9%.
I wonder if anyone tried to convince anyone else that that was a mere 900% increase. (For the math challenged, any increase over zero is considered an infinite increase.)

But every state has to have a certain amount of revenue, and right now, NH is having to pay a lot of unemployment, often to people who have not been working in NH most of the last 10 years.