Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

No heat in bedroom

Our forced air heat is hardly coming out of the register in the upstairs (Bedroom) in our 5th wheel. It blows very hard down stairs, but very weak upstairs. I figure there must be a leak in the ducting? But when I run the furnace I can follow the ducting through the basement, no leaks there. But it disappears and the only way I can think to inspect the rest of it is to drop the panels on the bottom of the RV?? I'm not looking foreword to that. Is it possible that there is no leak? That it just takes the path of least resistance and comes out the lower ducts? Is there a way to access the combiner box from inside the RV? Maybe under the stairs?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Instead of a leak in the duct, maybe the duct is blocked by something in it (mouse nest?).
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our ducting is reachable from the pass through area inside the wall near the stairs. Our water pump is located there behind a hinged panel.
Yours might be there as well. Both the bathroom and bedroom registers terminate there. Look for an aluminum ducting channel.

I wouldn't think the coroplast should be removed, unless no other way. I've had mine off twice for valve repairs, not a big deal. Need a helper to put it back on though. Since the duct you mentioned is the bedroom, it would't be available from underneath anyway.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Our ducting is reachable from the pass through area inside the wall near the stairs. Our water pump is located there behind a hinged panel.
Yours might be there as well. Both the bathroom and bedroom registers terminate there. Look for an aluminum ducting channel.

I wouldn't think the coroplast should be removed, unless no other way. I've had mine off twice for valve repairs, not a big deal. Need a helper to put it back on though. Since the duct you mentioned is the bedroom, it would't be available from underneath anyway.
Well the duct in the cargo area (under the bedroom) runs up to the bedroom register, follow it the other way towered the rear it disappears in the wall. Seems like it's heading under the steps from the kitchen to upstairs?
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most likely that's the route it taking.

You could remove the grille and use a mirror and flashlight to peer down the tube and see if you see something disconnected. It's just plastic tubing like a clothes dryer vent line. Possible it's come apart somewhere. They usually use hose clamps to connect.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

Check with mirror&flash light

If you can't see enogh, go to harbor freight and get flex cam. Once you have one you will find more and more uses for it.
Campasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #7

I just took the grate off the furnace, it's right under the refrigerator. I turned on the heater. Their was so much hot air blowing out of the metal furnace enclosure. Their are 6 "Knockouts" for additional ducts? Only one out of the six has a duct connected to it, it's a 2" flex hose that appears to go down in the under belly. 3 of the other knock outs were loose with a lot of hot air blowing out right under the fridge. I got them all tight and sealed them with Flex Seal. Then the furnace pushes the heat to the door that I removed, it appears that when the air hits the door it's forced down into a duct that leads under the floor to the registers. When I reinstalled the door and turned the furnace on hot air was blowing out the door seams, so I sealed all the way around the door. Now their are no leaks around the furnace. It made the 2 registers down stairs blow even harder then before. The bedroom heat was increased slightly but not even close to the down stairs. Before I can start removing wall in the basement, I have to remove all our CRAP we have in their.

Tags
heat