RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

No more Flag Buddy

No more for me. Last Labor Day weekend I went to a campground for the weekend with my nephew and his wife. We pulled our campers in on Friday morning but because it was quite windy I didn't put up my American Flag and my Don't Tread On Me flag as I normally do using my 22' Flag Buddy attached with the Flag Buddy brackets on my rear ladder. Saturday morning the winds calmed down and I put the flags up along with the flashing beacon on the Flag Buddy pole.
Sunday there was a family gathering at the camper behind mine with several children running about. Monday morning the winds started blowing a little harder and mid morning I heard a snap and a crash. We were all sitting at the picnic table next to our coach and the noise surprised all of us. When I got up to check things out I found my flag pole had broken and the majority of the pole, both flags and the beacon were all laying on the ground. When the pole came down it missed the neighbor's awning to the rear of me by just inches and clipped their deck. Had the pole hit the awning it would have been bad. The lady who owns the camper behind me had just had the awning completely replaced two weeks before this all happened. I am also thankful the pole didn't break when they had the family gathering on Sunday. Someone might have been seriously hurt.
I have thrown the broken parts away and have shortened the pole so it will attach to my awning and fly just one flag at a time.
The pole was five years old but it only gets used about five times a year. Usually on the major weekends and at the NASCAR Race in August at Watkins Glen.
I'm not willing to take another chance.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

Thumbs up

Go to Uncommon Flag Poles. They may have what you need. Bought mine years ago and have it set up at home. They also have a base that you place under a wheel of your rig and set the pole in. The poles are telescopic, hold two flags, and have a solar light attachment that swivels with the wind, keeping the flag(s) under light at night, as per rules for night display. Might be worth considering pulling the flags if/when strong winds are around.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
What size were your flags? Flag Pole Buddy 4 years old & stays up 24/4 up to 40mph winds. I use 2x3 flags & do not put up the last section on the large end in high winds.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bummer.
Glad the damage was minimal.

Flagpole Buddy and 12' aluminium mast. Many years old and lots of use. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1600186101980.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	301580
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

My flags are 3'X5' light weight nylon. I went with the Flag Buddy because NASCAR will not allow aluminum of steel flag poles due to lightning danger. The Flag Buddy is fiberglass.
Believe it or not the beacon survived the crash.
Lynn
Old 09-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You definitely dodged a bullet on that one! Did you contact the company and if so, what did they tell you?
Old 09-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Joe, I didn't contact anyone. To be honest I took the pole apart and put the broken parts in the dumpster. I was upset and thankful at the same time. If that beacon had hit someone in the head, especially a child, it could have been a really bad situation. I'd have a rough time living with that.
Lynn
Old 09-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Joe, I didn't contact anyone. To be honest I took the pole apart and put the broken parts in the dumpster. I was upset and thankful at the same time. If that beacon had hit someone in the head, especially a child, it could have been a really bad situation. I'd have a rough time living with that.
Lynn
I don't know anything about that company but they may have offered to replace the pole at no charge, maybe with one a little shorter!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't know anything about that company but they may have offered to replace the pole at no charge, maybe with one a little shorter!
I have a shorter one now. If fact it's two sections short of what it used to be.
LOL
Lynn
Old 09-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I lower or remove ours if the wind kicks up over 20 mph. I also changed to very lightweight flags that seem to help.

One time the wind pushed the brackets around and the pole fell over.....learned my lesson on that one! Not tight enough. The other issue I have is the movement tends to elongate the 1/4" ball pin holes. Had to re-drill two sections.

They used to be accommodating about issues with their poles. But last time I called they said I've had mine 5 years, they said to buy a replacement.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #11

We have a fifth wheel, so I welded a piece of re-rod to the hitch that the flag pole slips over. One re-rod piece was put at a angle for the flag and the other one vertical for a Wilson cell signal booster mounted on a 10' tall, 1" plastic pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Post.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	301598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Pole.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	301599  

Old 09-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #12

I went with this one from Harbor Freight. Don't forget your 20% off coupon.

It is designed to be mounted in cement in the ground, but I devised a bracket to mount to the trailer frame. It is 3 layers of 3/4" outdoor plywood glued together wide enough to lag bolt a 2.5" pipe/conduit clamp across and about 12" high. 3" high sections on the back, top and bottom, let it rest on the trailer frame. Two carriage bolts connect through those six layers of plywood to a piece of angle iron on the back of the frame to tighten it down with wing nuts. Life would be less complicated if I had a welder.

The plastic ground sleeve that came with it is clamped to the plywood so you can just drop the pole into it. I flew two very light 3x5 flags and it didn't sway at all, even as a thunderstorm was rolling in - I lowered it before it got too crazy.

It even doubles as an antenna tower since the omni directional one built into the camper is horrible. I think I'm going to look at replacing the ball with a small directional antenna permanently since it gets it up much higher than the roof. For testing I just taped a "paper thin" antenna to the pole below the flags and it worked much better than the camper, plus you can aim it by rotating the pole.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had the aluminum Flag Pole Buddy for years when I had a rear ladder. Now that my coach doesn't have a ladder, I use the fiberglass Flag Pole Buddy. Like anything else....when the wind picks up to dangerous strengths, I bring down the flags and put away everything else that can get blown around, including chairs and awnings.

I think what happened was an accident and luckily no one got hurt and no property damage, but your same story and warning about flag poles, could have been done without unfairly naming Flag Pole Buddy. They did nothing wrong and there are thousands of them flying everywhere. You're still using their flagpole at a shorter length, which says you've made adjustments for weather conditions. I do something similar. In higher winds, I only extend it so far. Even fiberglass fishing poles break if the fish is large enough!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Lynn
Being that it could hurt someone, how big/heavy is this beacon? With the wind resistance of two flags and the beacon on top, I can see it's possible the pole may have been overloaded.

I installed a cheap 20 foot flag pole in our front yard about 6 years ago. It has provisions to fly two flags but I already know just looking at it, even with lightweight flags, that two would be too much on real windy days.