Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

No Norcold Refrigerator Suddenly

Just got back last Friday from summer travels with no problems with the Refrigerator, then this am went to turn it on, nothing. Have checked all breakers, fuses, GFIs and no power to frig. Ran generator and everything works except frig. Any recommendations?
Thanking this wise group in advance.
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Sometimes the protection device can trip due to excessive heat build up in the vent compartment. Can you open the outside vent and look to see if the recall protection device does not have a red light. If it doesn't, you can reset it by rubbing a very strong magnet on the surface; but if you do, check frequently to be sure that a major failure has not occurred. Another check you may need to do is to see if the inverter is operating correctly. I had the same thing occur on a return long trip. Went out the next day and had an error and no cooling. Checked 12 volt which is required for the frig to run and 120 volt which is also required. Found a bright yellow discoloration on the insulation at bend of the copper tubes in the back. The yellow fluid is from the inside of the tube and is very flammable. I had to replace the frig and did so with a residential frig. In the future, I will not get another motor home that does not have a residential frig.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks much, will check those items.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Recall light is flashing. Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Hooked into power, everything else is working like it should, including HVAC system, but NO Norcold. Any suggestions anyone????
Old 10-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpwainc View Post
Recall light is flashing. Thoughts?
What model refer do you have?

If it is a 1200 series I'm not familiar with a flashing recall board light. In the past it was a steady light.

Assuming it is the recall board a strong magnet passed over it might reset it. If it pops again after that...you have some kind of constant issue causing it to go.

The recall board is NOT weather proof. It is possible to trigger that board when washing the coach and spraying water into the refer vents. A crazy, windy, rainy day did it to us once.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the light on the little black box [ Norcold safety modification ] is on, it needs to be reset. Take a small, strong magnet, and hold it against the front of the box, right above the red light...this may take up to 30 seconds. You should hear a click, and the light will turn off. If this does not turn the light off, there is a more serious problem that needs to be looked at. Although this box is installed to protect against serious problems, it may come on after washing the rv or after a rain storm where water is blown in to the fridge vent.
If the light is flashing, the box may have detected low voltage to the fridge, and will correct itself when higher voltage is detected.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you switched the power off when you got home and the fridge was running, there will be no power to the rear flue fans. The flue temperature will rise in the absence of cooling air and activate the Norcold "recall box" disabling the fridge. As others have suggested, use the magnet to reset it if and only if there is no evidence of an ammonia leak. Same thing happened to me when I had the Norcold. Goood luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Don't forget that the little box with the flashing light is a "safety" alert and you should be concerned about what causes it to go off. That said I reset mine several times before I changed to a residential refrigerator.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #10

If it's flashing, the thermocouple has more than likely failed. I went through this last year. You can get a new recall box and thermocouple for free, but they'll only give it to a certified RV tech. So you end up paying someone to install it.
I went with an ARP device instead. ARPrv | RV Refrigerator | Dometic Install | Norcold Install | RV Fire
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. Still trying to find a strong magnet to give that a try and monitor for other issues.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Was able to figure out the temporary bypass for a couple of days thanks to suggestions here and Google search results. Definitely the Norcold recall device' which I hopefully get replaced next week. As usual, IRV2 forum is a great resource of knowledge and experience who willingly share and help. Thanks everyone.

Tags
norcold, refrigerator