Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Denise - the cosigning of note was analogous - exaggerated point which you then underlined. I was just sayin you had to be careful - and didn't mean to offend you. As for not being an RVer - I miss hearing from you - and your not logging on here is strictly self imposed. Lots of us got to "know you" and enjoyed your posts and sharing in your adventures. Obviously you can come and go to your liking - but I don't think any of us ever thought you didn't belong here or shouldn't be posting because you only had the desire. On the contrary - and you were missed. So again - did not intend to offend.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I honestly can't imagine there is enough demand on iRV for that to warrant an entire forum to itself (incl. moderators etc.). I just don't think enough single women *without* RVs would look to post on an RV forum? The solo group is perfect for singles with an RV, but for singles without a rig i think a dating or travel buddy site is a much better choice. Many services out there, even for people who are just looking for company (I.e. not serious relationships). The social sites dedicated to travel and finding travel buddies are ideal....for example Travel Buddies and Women Traveling Solo Club and Travel Companions. even the AARP has sections like this. These are targeted specifically to what your friend is looking for, and have a lot more traffic/members looking for the same thing (so you're more likely to find a match).

Have a look here:
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/travel-buddy-12800.html
I agree. There are dating services for such a desire. Not an RV forum. Maybe this lady can purchase a little pop up and go camping on her own and meet others in a local camping group.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Hi Sarah, I think if you are single, you get another point of view. Maybe you have been single in the past, I don't know, but it really is hard to find an honest "monitored" place to meet other singles. I think it would be good to be able to just place an ad, in the classified area, if someone wants to be a caregiver, or meet someone to travel with (male or female). Is it ok to put an ad like that on here somewhere? Work-camping is a "heading" that could come under? I know I didn't want to post something like my caregiving without knowing for sure.

Denise
Denise, it has been many years since I was single so perhaps I am out of touch. I would like to point out that this thread was started by RanCarr, requesting to add another section to the forum for "meeting singles." As I already said, we have no plan to add any additional sections to the forum at the current time.

As for your thread about wanting a position as a caregiver, I suppose moving it to Workkamping might be appropriate. Good luck to you, and please be careful and screen possible candidates thoroughly.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I already checked that out and it's a forum of interest to people who own RVs and are single - not for single people like my friend. She doesn't own an RV. I didn't see anything there about single men and women meeting-up to take trips together. I'm talking about a section for people to meet each other, not discuss the joys and problems of owning an RV and traveling solo.
Well...I am 62, Own an RV, and find myself suddenly single due to a tree getting in the path of my wife last Easter (Fatal auto accident). So you could link her to my profile.. I would not mind a traveling companion..

One problem though is most RV's like mine have one full time bed. Not that I don't mind sleeping on the living room floor with the cats.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Well...I am 62, Own an RV, and find myself suddenly single due to a tree getting in the path of my wife last Easter (Fatal auto accident). So you could link her to my profile.. I would not mind a traveling companion..

One problem though is most RV's like mine have one full time bed. Not that I don't mind sleeping on the living room floor with the cats.
That " one problem" is the elephant in the rv.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy going View Post
Here is a site dedicated to matching up RV'ers with similar interests. Like any site there may be a few wierdos but for the most part it is a good site.

Why RV alone? - RV fulltiming - experiences, advice and help - Roaming Times
Thanks. I'll pass this on to her.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
A word of caution....for every honest person out there just looking to share an experience and expenses are the predators looking to take advantage of an elder.
This is very true and I'll remind her of that.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Seems to me you are spending more time lobbying for this than your friend. If she is so interested why isn't she online joining in on the discussion? IRV-2 isn't a dating service. there are many places on the WEB that will fill your friends interests. If she is so well off why doesn't she just buy a small RV and take off in it.
Why should she be here when I can ask for her? She doesn't own an RV and would have no interest in reading the messages here that don't apply to her situation. She's in her 70s. How many women in their 70s who know nothing about RVs are going to go out and buy one and take off alone? Why be so nasty about it?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
As most of us have experienced, some days it's hard enough to be cooped up in an RV with someone you know and love. I can't imagine sharing one with a complete stranger.

RanCarr--perhaps your friend could RENT an RV and do a little traveling with you and your hubby.
We live in TN and she lives in Calif. She's in her 70s and will not travel around alone. Also, we don't travel all over the USA which is what she would like to do.

Quote:
That said, we are currently not considering adding any more sections to the forum. The Solo board would be the best bet for posting interest in a travel companion.
OK.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Hi RanCarr, you are such a sweetie, this would really be good as I'm sure there are a lot of singles out here that would like to team up. I don't know how other singles feel, but sometimes I feel like the 5th wheel(no pun intended) or leper At the same time, I love my "couples" friends. I just like all kinds of people, so I don't like "singles only" sites, and dating sites, yetch!!
Apparently she doesn't either. She's not looking for a lover or husband, just someone companionable to travel with.

Quote:
I would so love to meet a lady and do a Golden Girls kind of thing. I honestly doubt I ever will get hooked up with a "mate" type situation, it's been 17 years and I am 60, LOL! But if I had a gal-friend that was pretty-much like-minded about RVing, we could got together and see who's out there, LOL!!
Do you live in Calif by any chance? She lives a bit south of LA. Personally, if it was me, I would rather travel with other women because too many men want a woman to "take care of them." Other women take care of themselves and don't expect what some men do from women, even if the woman is just a friend. When I lived in NYC there were 4 of us women who would leave our kids with our husbands and spend a some weekends up in Calcoon NY by ourselves. We did this in the summer and I loved it. I never had so much fun in my life. It was like a pajama party for 20 and 30 somethings (our ages). The cabin was in the woods set back from the road, owned by one of the gals. We spent those weekends going to the nearby river, antique shops, flea markets, cooking over a campfire, hiking in the woods - whatever. At night we'd make a fire in the fireplace and stay up late yakking ... it was great. I sure miss those days.

Quote:
I just think getting "out there" and meeting people that are RVing, get to sit around a campfire, or just mingle with a group, would be wonderful!
It is... but people today that you meet in the CGs are not as friendly, as social as in years past. I believe there was a thread on this Forum about just that topic a few years ago. The CGs are full of a much older crowd now than when we were young. Many seem to just want to be left alone for whatever reasons they have. Even younger campers don't seem to be looking to socialize in many cases - not like in the 60s and 70s. So you may find yourself sitting alone at your campsite if you go out alone. In the resorts where people spend the winter it's different. They're almost all looking to socialize and we like that better than the average CG. The Resorts also have clubhouses with all kinds of activities including a weekly bonfire where everyone gathers to socialize.

But yes, traveling with several other women can be a lot of fun....
Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
I agree. There are dating services for such a desire. Not an RV forum. Maybe this lady can purchase a little pop up and go camping on her own and meet others in a local camping group.
Apparently you didn't understand what I wrote. She wants to travel around the country, preferably with a gentleman as she would feel safer with a man rather than another woman. This has nothing to do with buying a popup at age 75 and going to campgrounds alone. It also has nothing to do with "dating."
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #40

Quote:
I don't think any of us should be too quick to judge someone that would like to RV, but not go alone. When you have a mate, your own RV, and time to go, it's easy to forget those that are less fortunate.
Those people wont understand until they're in that situation. Others immediately become obsessed with "dating." You can be sure that person is married (or if alone, chooses to travel alone) and has their own RV to travel in. So they can afford to be smug and arrogant. My friend is around 75 and knows nothing about RVs and wouldn't travel alone. She is not interested in buying a popup or small RV and "camping." I don't understand some of the replies people get on this forum that have nothing to do with the original post. How did wanting to meet a "companion" to travel the country with change into buying a popup to go camping in alone?

I'm not yet in my 70s, but even now I wouldn't consider traveling the country alone.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
And our TT has 3 fulltime beds. One Queens size bed and the 2 bunkbeds. There's a curtain for privacy at one end of the TT if that's necessary. Not all RV have only one fulltime bed.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #42
laj

rancar you do have a hard to fill issue. I think you have expectations implied or not that are hard to avoid. I would want a certain amount of interaction before inviting an essential stranger to just hop in and go for an extended trip across country. I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish just not sure how to get it done in a reasonably safe manner for both involved. As you stated people, and camping have changed drastically since the 60 and 70's.

if she had friends that had like desires with an already established relationship perhaps they could either rent a small Rv together or even buy one jointly. still thinking on your subject
laj is offline   Reply With Quote