Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #71

I don’t really understand some of the thinking of RV park owners.
We hear the parks are sold out months in advance, then also say that they can’t rent out a space if it’s cancelled!
If it’s really that busy, there will be short term transient RVrs looking for a few nights , which would pay for the empty spot.
Or additional month long bookings on a wait list.
Customer service and appreciation should come into the mix also.
I’ve cancelled and/or changed reservations in some parks and had no difficulties, yet there were 1 or 2 that had to make things hard ( for themselves) as possible.
We were in N.Carolina when covid really hit the fan last March. We had a week long booking paid in full, and due to the uncertainty of border closures, hospital expenses, insurance coverages, and just what we saw as a lack of respect for the oncoming pandemic, we decided to head back to Canada after day 3.
Of course the park owner refused any refund, and we will be sure to score them accordingly on any reviews we do.
Exceptional circumstances require a more human touch at times.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #72

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodplenty View Post
Has anyone experienced cancelling a 2 month reservation 45 days prior & getting no refund ?? I paid $1500.00 & am being told no refund. Florida RV park
The question for me is, Was the no refund for cancellation on the reservation form or just on the confirmation? In most states it has to be written on the reservation form you use or it's not binding. Having it posted anywhere else on the site that isn't the reservation page also doesn't count. The places I have booked online had a cancellation policy link on the webpage and a box to check stating you have read and agree to the conditions.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmy miffer View Post
I have two points, whether they are valid or not I do not know.
#1: What is the dollar amount of deposit they require? Example if $500 must they refund $1000.
#2: You all say DO NOT CANCEL and they cannot rent your space out, if they do then they must refund. BIG question, How will OP know if they rented the space out?

In the OP's case, he probably has no way of knowing if they rent out his spot. It worked out in my case only because were in the area at that time, and showed up to "claim our reservation".
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #74

I stayed in Winterhaven, at a private RV park a couple of months ago while working on a house I purchased nearby. The owner informed me, over the phone, while making reservations, that they do not refund reservations. I understood this and also understand why they do it. All the parks are generally full this time of year, and being in Florida, a state to which many living in the northern states are fleeing, she would be turning down reservations while holding one for someone whom, for whatever reason, might cancel. The loss of the deposit or rental fee incentivizes a renter to follow through. Cancellations may contribute to a loss of revenue on the part of the owner as well. I accept this reality, booked for a month at their monthly rate, but left in three weeks. My bad planning was not their loss, nor would I expect it to be. The county run parks in Florida do accommodate cancellations, so if there's a doubt, that is an option.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
We have several neighbors who are seasonal residents from Canada. There are insurance policies that will cover them while they are here - and they are all here. Some have even received vaccinations prior to FL changing their policy to residents only. There is a thriving business bringing coaches across the border with the owners flying over. Canada just changed their policy on Canadians returning from other countries with possible mandated quarantine at their personal expense at “quarantine hotels” beginning as early as next week. Will be interesting if that results in Canadians heading home immediately, risk that the policy will be lifted prior to their necessary return or just know that it will cost them about an extra $2,000 (that was the government’s estimate in the announcement) to return home.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #76

Wait until the day before you are supposed to be there and call the park. Tell them you are on your way and will be there the next day.
If they say it is rented out, then demand a refund.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #77

Cancellation

We too have lost money after a 56 day notice, also in fl.
When the demand is very high i guess the parks will do as they please
We couldnt find who to complain to or who regulates the parks.
Deaddriftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Wait until the day before you are supposed to be there and call the park. Tell them you are on your way and will be there the next day.
If they say it is rented out, then demand a refund.
Yeah, do that. I bet it works out just fine.

Clearly there are many posters on here who have never tried to get a long term spot in Florida in the winter. The no refund policy is common. If you don't like it you shouldn't make a reservation.

And good luck proving they rented out "your" spot after you canceled.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
I don’t really understand some of the thinking of RV park owners.
We hear the parks are sold out months in advance, then also say that they can’t rent out a space if it’s cancelled!
If it’s really that busy, there will be short term transient RVrs looking for a few nights , which would pay for the empty spot.
Or additional month long bookings on a wait list.
Customer service and appreciation should come into the mix also.
I’ve cancelled and/or changed reservations in some parks and had no difficulties, yet there were 1 or 2 that had to make things hard ( for themselves) as possible.
We were in N.Carolina when covid really hit the fan last March. We had a week long booking paid in full, and due to the uncertainty of border closures, hospital expenses, insurance coverages, and just what we saw as a lack of respect for the oncoming pandemic, we decided to head back to Canada after day 3.
Of course the park owner refused any refund, and we will be sure to score them accordingly on any reviews we do.
Exceptional circumstances require a more human touch at times.

I agree. If most campgrounds are now overcrowded due to many more people RV'ing, due to Covid, then filling an empty campsite should be easy. So 2 or more days notices should be enough. I say 7 or more days should be full refund, 3 to 6 days forfeit 1 night's cost. 2 or less the penalty should be no more than 3 days worth.
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #80

Try the Wayback Machine

The Wayback machine may or may not have a copy of the website from when you signed up.
Wayback Machine - Internet Archive
wi traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
And good luck proving they rented out "your" spot after you canceled.

Proving it was easy for us! We showed up, they didn't have a site for us, we demanded, and got full refund . . . Granted, not possible for many, but it worked for us!

Morale of the story, "Where there's a Will, there are at least TWO attorneys . . .wait, hold on . . . I meant to say:

"Where there's a Will, there's a WAY!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Proving it was easy for us! We showed up, they didn't have a site for us, we demanded, and got full refund . . . Granted, not possible for many, but it worked for us!

Morale of the story, "Where there's a Will, there are at least TWO attorneys . . .wait, hold on . . . I meant to say:

"Where there's a Will, there's a WAY!
I have to wonder why you would cancel in the first place if you planned to show up anyway. Not sure how many folks will cancel a site, be refused a refund and then drive to the campground to attempt to check in.

Is that what you did?
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I have to wonder why you would cancel in the first place if you planned to show up anyway. Not sure how many folks will cancel a site, be refused a refund and then drive to the campground to attempt to check in.

Is that what you did?

All explained in post # 39
Old 02-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #84

Grand Design Owners Club
Forum rules say we can’t say that a product doesn’t work? That isn’t right. I’ve been selecting products based on comments. It’s very valuable. I understand some guidelines l but as long as someone is not disparaging a product or service let them speak.
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote