Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question No slides

Just thinking loud:
Would a MH (Class A) without a slide be a good seller these days? Let's say in the 28 to 36 ft range and gasser or DP.

We had 2 MH's in the past, that did not have slides and we were very happy with the floorplans we had. I see, that Manufacturer go to smaller models, maybe we see one day another one with "0" slides?

RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not many buyers want a no slide Class A. Even single slides get little attention from the majority of buyers. But if the price is right, there is always somebody who will buy.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TW,
Floor plans requirements are very unique to each person (buyer). A coach without slides has as much market value as any other coach. The problem remains to match a buyer and seller. Coaches without slides have fewer problems and less weight to carry down the road (more MPG).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just sold a 96 safari trek, 2830, gas, no slides, bed out of the ceiling, large rear bath, great condition. As soon as it went on the market, gone. I used it for 6 yrs, and sold it for 4K less than I paid for the rig.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I have some recent statistics I have been accumulating on used motorhomes classified as 2-slide, 1-slide, no-slide (I don't do the 3 or more slides cause as a percentage it's quite small). Total units 359, 2-slide 101(28.1%) , 1-slide 133(37 %), no-slide 125(34.8%). Yes there is a market for them, they are cheaper to buy and to sell, but they also may have a lot less maintenance and more than a third of the folks like them.
JMHO

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think a floor plan with no couch might work with no slides.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #7

Just traded, straight across, my 36' 2002 HR Endeavor with 2 slides for a 40' 1997 Beaver Marquis with no slides. The NADA value on both unites was about the same.

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I was in an acquaintance's no slide Foretravel a couple of years ago and was surprised at how spacious it felt. I think it was a result of a combination of floor plan and large windows. Whatever the reason, I think a no slide coach could sell in today's market if well designed and laid out. The lighter weight and lower maintenance aspects might appeal to a significant market segment.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I liked the unit Robin Williams had in the movie Rv. When he was driving there were no slides but when he parked the slide magically appeared.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If I had $20 for every coach I've had to repair the slides on, I could afford a nice used (non-slide equipped) Class A...
That said, many people look for slide outs, and only get the ones without if there isn't a slide-equipped model in the size and price range they are looking for.
So, while you couldn't run fast enough to give me one with slides, that's only my personal preference based on my experience. Lots of people love 'em.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #11

We have been driving a 29' Hurricane with no slides for 5 years, from Maine to Yellowstone to Florida. Less weight, no problems at Walmart, plenty of room for the two of us. Just don't stand in the middle trying to decide which way to go. Move, or get out of the way.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #12

As always---to each his own.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When we were looking at motor homes, my wife wouldn't get out of the golf cart for no slides.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
When we were looking at motor homes, my wife wouldn't get out of the golf cart for no slides.
I'm in a gasser rather than a DP because we had to have a slide and DP's in my $$$ range didn't. I looked at a bunch that didn't, and there's just no way, it would be like living in a hollowed out sausage.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote