Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #57
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Sorry, but is it possible to change a tire on a 40 ft DP? Ok I know I can get the rig off the ground with leveling jacks but, but is it safe to try this out?
Plus, Just how big and strong would you have to be to get these tire off and replace one?
A few can and have the equipment to do it. Most can't and don't carry the equipment. The point is if you have a spare mounted or not, you can have a road service come out and get you on your way in short order( within one hour for me twice). You can then arrange to purchase another tire on your terms and not be held hostage ( pay retail if they can even locate one ) by the road service outfit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got it, thanks. I'll put it on my list of things to get. Just bought the MH, trying to get everything I need.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Davedb,
The idea about carrying a spare is not that you do it yourself as you can't, first off the lugs have 450lbs torque on them and you would not be able to loosen them, second the tire and wheel is much too heavy for you to remove and put back on unless you have the proper equipment and know how.
The idea is to have a spare so that when your road service comes to you to fix a flat they can replace the flat with the spare and you could go on your way and find a tire store to get a replacement tire. If you don't have a spare then you are at the mercy of the road service guy and his tires prices, I repeat HIS tire prices. You don't neccessarily have to have a spare tire mounted on a wheel as they can take off your bad tire and mount a spare tire at an additional cost naturally.
Since my Class A came with a spare tire mounted on a wheel and under the chassis, when I get a flat the road service guy comes out and takes off the flat tire and then mounts the spare on and puts the flat tire back where he got the spare. Then I check around for the tire I want at different tire stores and get a new tire in place of the defective one.

I hope this answers your question we we should all carry a spare. In fact a friend of mine purchased a tire and a wheel and then had a bracket made to attach to the rear of his class A. It looks like a contiental wheel but is there if he ever needs it.
Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I'm convinced. Just get a good used unmounted tire, and keep it in you pass- through storage area. I'm sure a mounted one wouldn't fit. I've got two new front tires, and the back four are 5 yrs old but look almost new( no cracks ). I keep the MH garaged also. I won't be full timing for 3 years, by that time the back tires will be replaced.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
An UNmounted spare is better than nothing. But not much. We managed to cram a MOUNTED 22.5" spare in a pass-thru compartment. 1/3 of the tire sits on the pass-thru ledge and 2/3 sits in space. The wheel hub stops any further penetration. We drilled some holes in both sides of this compartment and wedged a horizontal 1/2" piece of rebar under the tire to hold it up. A simple piece of vertical 2x4 wood with a notch to fit under the rebar, provides more stability.

We have traveled 600 miles with this setup and no movement or other problems.

I'm too lame to take a picture and post it. Anyone who wants to PM me with a fax or phone number for the drawings I did for another RV'er, is more than welcome
Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #62

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found used 19.5 wheel on the IRV2 classifieds at about 1/2 the cost of new wheel from Ford (I have an F-53 Chassis). Purchased new tire from Tire Rack mounted it and loaded in the coach. I am one of those guys that will wait only so long for a road service before I take matters into my own hands and do it myself so I wanted to be prepared should I need to change it out.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having a used umounted spare is a good idea.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #64
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777
Having a used umounted spare is a good idea.
Or even a new one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm puzzled as to why some think 22.5 tires are "hard to come by"? Many a semi uses that size tire, and any truck stop will have them, used too...

I found this out the hard way last year after poking a hole in the sidewall of a mighty Michelin with a twig.

I aired up the inside tire to 120 and drove 25 miles to a truck stop and bought a used Michelin. The tires are piece o' cake to change with a couple of irons...

Click image for larger version

Name:	v31.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	15725
Click image for larger version

Name:	v30.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	15726

--it took the guy about 2 minutes to get it off, and about 3 minutes to get the new one back on.

I don't have a spare yet, but I have plenty of room for one. I'll be getting new tires in a couple of months, and I'll be keeping a couple of the old ones...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #66

Do freightliner chassis use different offset wheels i guess what i am asking is lets say you have a road truck with 22.5 rims will that rim work on a motorhome if so i have a few of these at my buddies shop he said i can have for a spare rim
motofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just checked around for a used spare tire. Tire only....

275/70 r22.5 Goodyear: $100.00 Michelin $150.00

They told me the carcass alone is worth $100

Hey!!! Here's something else.. They told me the only reasons to get a tire made for an RV is Comfy.. and they are cheap... Cheap?

Yep.. That's what they said
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our MH has a spare mounted up under the rear end. I have no intentions of personally changing a flat on our MH. Having one will save me a few $'s if and when I would need to have Couch Net send someone to do the job for me!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #69

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Had the MH only six months before I had a blowout on the inside rear dual. We have a full spare on a rim mounted on the back of the bus. Tried to change the wheel in a local garage near where the blowout occurred, but having never done it before, I had real trouble. The wheels had rusted on, and without the help of a Good Samaritan I would never have got it off. I was able to continue on my way and get a new tyre once we got home. I watched the professionals change the tyre and with two tyre irons about 1.5m long, it was a piece of cake. I even tried it myself, with their tuition and I would have no problem in attempting it myself in future. My spare is now brand new, and when I buy my next new tyre, I will match the spare and put two new tyres on the front and put the best old tyre on as the spare. I can replace it at any time when there are specials. My new tyre cost me over $550 so it is not a cheap exercise in New Zealand. I guess we have more wilderness than many countries so I don't want to take the chance of being stuck in the middle of nowhere. With the tyre being mounted on the bus it takes up no extra space.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #70

Spare tire

We too just purchased Super C Jayco Seneca w/ no spare. I plan to buy and mount in storage bay. There seems to be enough room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Several of the new coaches we have looked at lately do not have spare tires on board. Is this typical? One salesman said, "just call roadside service." HUH?? Does roadside service provide a tire? What's up with that?

Sorry for this goofy question, but we are buying our first motorhome and this just seems .... odd.
Margarita1 is offline   Reply With Quote