Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I carry an unmounted spare in the basement.

As others have stated 22.5" tires are hard to come by on short notice.

I was in Edmonton, Canada when I needed a tire. Took 2 days to get the tire and Edmonton is a big city.
Yep, me too. You ought to have a flat in Glennallen, Alaska on a Saturday afternoon. The tire repair folks had to come out of Wasilla, and the tire (not the one we were looking for) was in southern Anchorage. We were back on the road Tuesday morning. This is why we carry an unmounted spare and the tools to change it out. And, yes, I can change a tire as well as break one down and remount one.

Pigman
2008 Tiffin 40' Allegro Bus
2011 Chevy Silverado Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It says in my owner's manual "DO NOT attempt to change a tire yourself". These weight over 110#s and that is what I pay CoachNet to do.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yep, me too. You ought to have a flat in Glennallen, Alaska on a Saturday afternoon. The tire repair folks had to come out of Wasilla, and the tire (not the one we were looking for) was in southern Anchorage. We were back on the road Tuesday morning. This is why we carry an unmounted spare and the tools to change it out. And, yes, I can change a tire as well as break one down and remount one.

Pigman
2008 Tiffin 40' Allegro Bus
2011 Chevy Silverado Toad
If you have the skills and the tools, carrying a spare and the equipment to change it makes sense. Most of us, however, do not have the skills or experience and many, like me, should not be wrestling a 100+ pound tire and wheel, not to mention breaking the lugs loose or jacking the coach. We depend on Coach Net and credit cards for a problem like a flat tire. In fifty plus years of driving all types of vehicles on all types of roads I have never had a blow out. There is always a first time and if it happens we will deal with it. A few days' delay getting a tire will probably not be important in the long run.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
You don't need to change it yourself, but having a spare even an unmounted one will save you time and money. Most RV's use a low profile tire common to Rv use and the trucking industry uses a different size for the most part. Most tire dealers don't stock the RV sizes so if you are out somewhere and need a tire you may have to wait for one to be shipped to your repair guy and it won't be cheap. I carry a good used tire I bought and mounted it on a used wheel and have the necessary tools to change it if I cant get any roadside service. But that's just me.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whatever MH you end up with, just make sure you have a mounted tire with it...there are lots of good reasons to have it-believe me.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
saraw:

Our now departed W/I 2004 27C did have a 19.5" spare mounted underneath.

Our new to us 2003 Dolphin LX 6355 had no spare. After much thought and asking around, we bought a MOUNTED 22,5" spare and crammed it into an outside compartment.

GS ERS, AAA, FMCA will be happy to come to you and change a MOUNTED spare tire. Not so much for an UNMOUNTED tire. Perhaps, not at all. Depends on where you are and the location of a service truck that has the equipment to dismount and remount your tire. After hours and weekends/holidays make this more dicey.

Most people do not have flats, it seems. We like peace of mind and not being tilted on a road shoulder for xxx hours or days waiting for a specific service truck. Or a tire to be shipped to your location.

Please, somehow, carry a MOUNTED spare tire.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2 times I had guys come out to do roadside change it took less than 10 minutes to switch the tire. Its very straight forward to do IF they have the tools to do it. If you have either a loose tire or mounted tire it makes it easier for the tire guy to get you back in motion faster. He won't have to hunt down a tire and you know at least what kind of shape the tire is in. I understand there are a lot of older folks who can't do the labor part but that's what CASH is for.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
What about 19.5 inch tires? Are they even harder to find than the 22.5 inch tires?
no actually those tend to be really easy to find since they are used on more than just motorhomes. (think panel vans, bread trucks, etc)
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
There have been lots of threads on this and IMO I carry an unmounted tire. We have 22.5 Michelin tires on our 2008 coach. I bought a new tire from Sam's club for $428.00 with tax and had a tire rack made to fit under the chassis behind the gas tank. Most replys on this subject stated could not get a tire on the road and waited for sometimes days. We have Coach net for road service and have read on this site they won't mount a spare tire. Guss I would need to call a truck service for that.

Did Coachnet say they this about not mounting a tire? If so, then I will seriously consider switching to someone else. Fortunately we have a spare mounted under the rear of our MH but if what we get in the future does does have the same, I intend to, at minimum, have a tire stashed in one of the storage bays and expect the road service people to be able to mount it.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Did Coachnet say they this about not mounting a tire? If so, then I will seriously consider switching to someone else. Fortunately we have a spare mounted under the rear of our MH but if what we get in the future does does have the same, I intend to, at minimum, have a tire stashed in one of the storage bays and expect the road service people to be able to mount it.
Coach Net as I understand it will swap a full mounted tire. They won't change the tire off the rim and remount a tire onto the rim.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Surely you could pay a little extra to the driver , I would imagine. The service call is the larger part of the expense.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall
Surely you could pay a little extra to the driver , I would imagine. The service call is the larger part of the expense.
I just called Coach Net and they would do as I stated above. The charge to change tires on my rim would be my share of the service call.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first question you will be asked when calling your roadside service provider is "do you have a spare?"

After 2 blowouts and two flats, the blowouts were probably due to under inflation. The first one I had was because of a improperly installed RR inner flexible valve extension being cut by the wheel cover.

I not only have a mounted spare, but I also keep a pressure sender for my tire monitoring system on it. This scale allows me to move the whole rig far off to the side for the corner wheel I am weighing.

My rig came with a spare, and it lowers and raises up into a "pocket" aft of the rear axle.

I carry the correct socket, 3/4" breaker bar, a 12" extension and a 8 ft piece of pipe, to change the tire out. I usually call roadside service now, but I have done it myself because the tire changer guy couldn't come up with the correct size tire.

My problems seem to have solved themselves since I now inflate the rear axle tires to the max cold tire pressure on the sidewall, which is higher than the Michelin pressures posted in their charts require by my actual axles weight.

I get all my seven weights on a ground level, grain loading scale close to my home. They are happy to help me. I just maneuver my wheel/s, axle/s where I want them, blow the horn, and she jots down the figure for that horn "Toot". Cost all of $5. It helps to have a friend to locate you exactly on the scale where you want it to be.

I do - LF, RF, Front axle

LR, RR, Rear axle

Total rig weight

PS: those figures are all confidential-
Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #28
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I just called Coach Net and they would do as I stated above. The charge to change tires on my rim would be my share of the service call.

I could/can live with that.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote