Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #43

California is actually 11th on the total tax burden list.

Can we solve our homeless problem by shipping them all back to the places back east where they came from?

The roads are a lot worse than when I got here in the early 90s, but the worst California roads I've been on were nothing like the roads in Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio. Ohio seemed to close down to a single lane all summer to accommodate all the repair.

Housing's not bad as long as you don't live in one of the coastal counties.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #44
IC2

FWIW, my state of New York has the highest taxes though we do live in the least taxed county, Saratoga, so don't feel it quite as badly. We upstate are supporting the massive costs downstate. Many, if not leaving the state, are moving out of the NY City area and bringing their politics and lifestyle upstate and the upset isn't nice. As far as Calif., been there too many times for various reasons - and do not care for that way of life.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post

And I assume you kne..........

STOP! Your mistake was made.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Of course restrictive building codes and outrageous environmental rules, rent controls, sanctuary cities, etc . have nothing to do with outrageous housing costs.

Nick

Please explain how RENT CONTROL and sanctuary cities affect your housing costs?

My guess is you would be one of the first to call for stricter building codes after an earthquake destroys your house...and earthquake standards do affect SOME housing costs but not everywhere.

Also please explain those "outrageous" environmental rules...

So you mean the clean air act? Unleaded gasoline? Protecting the coasts from spilled oil?

And then give me an argument that makes sense on how those affect property values???

This is the kind of fuzzy thinking that just needs to be countered at every turn. FACTS are what is needed and what is in such short supply here.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I suggest you travel there or just read Victor David Hanson for a real look at what is happening there. Garbage, junk vehicles, human feces, drug paraphernalia strewn in the streets.

Pull off the blinders and see what Cali has become outside the wealthy coastal areas. Could add LA, SF, and SD To the list.

Nick

Nick

The last refuge of those who have no real argument to advance is to fall back on claiming that those that disagree are Blind, or Dupes, or have drank the "kool-aid".

Not only am I from California, but I have traveled up the valley every year for the last 4. I have been traveling that valley since I was a small boy with my parents. I have been up and down the entire coast many times. I know California very well.

I am sorry but the comparison to the third world is such hyperbole that it cannot be supported.

The increase in population over my lifetime has to be considered a major factor with California's problems...in 1953, the year I was born, California's population was 12.25 Million...now it is well over 39 million. No other US state has had to deal with such a population surge and all it's attendant challenges.

It is all too easy to just cast Blame and turn to reactionary sources. Much harder to try to find the real causes, understand them and look for solutions.

And I still do not understand how an unrestricted speed lane is a bad idea??? It works in several places.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
California is actually 11th on the total tax burden list.

Can we solve our homeless problem by shipping them all back to the places back east where they came from?

The roads are a lot worse than when I got here in the early 90s, but the worst California roads I've been on were nothing like the roads in Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio. Ohio seemed to close down to a single lane all summer to accommodate all the repair.

Housing's not bad as long as you don't live in one of the coastal counties.

Thanks for bringing some much needed fact and perspective to this.

So much of this California bashing is just the repetition of internet effluent, popular myth, misinformation and outright falsehood...

Common sense and a respect for facts, critical thinking and research seem to be missing in so many of these discussions.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
We drive CA 99 regularly from here to Visalia and Bakersfield. For one thing, there isn't enough room to build two more lanes in each direction w/o condemning hundreds of business, residential areas and the like because the majority of the medians are not wide enough to accomodate four more lanes in the center. It just amazes me the brain farts that come out of the legislature w/o any forethought whatsoever. [Mod Edit]
Old 05-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #50

To stir the pot some....and add to what others have said.

I think most if not all of the California bashing is just from jealousy

The only Business owners complaining about taxes are ones that don't understand how to run a company.

Labor goes up Hooray and same for costs as any business person knows that's passed on and profits are based on the costs. More costs more profit.

If only the people that bitch about Calif would just leave...

2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Due to weather we had to take RV and car north through CA up I-5, and it was a mess all the way up. Too many people on it for two lanes on each side. Plus, although not mentioned, gas was about 1.00 higher than anywhere else. SO we have decided that we are NEVER going to CA again for anything. The loons are in charge, and it's only getting worse by the day.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to bistchr
CA-99 and I-5 Speed limits

I lived in Calif for 40 years travelling CA-99 and I-5. The 18 wheelers passing will keep the speed slowed regardless of what they do. And since it is California the PROPOSAL to ADD 2 lanes would take 15-20 years to implement given it got funding. See how long and successful the bullet train has been. We will be done RVing by the time this type of proposal will come to light of day in reality.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #53

The 55mph towing limit is stupid and antiquated. Should be 65.

The pipedream new lanes should be 80, not unlimited. Cars today can handle faster, but our typical drivers can't.

Oh, and....

Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
please explain those "outrageous" environmental rules...
Poor forest management ends up causing bigger fires and loss of homes. Years ago I visited Yellowstone right after the huge fires there. Loggers weren't even permitted to drag away the burned up trees, even though the interior wood could still be salvaged. Talking to people who know forest management will tell you that the tree huggers that won't let them do an effective job actually cause worse damage to a forest and the environment.

Then there's the snail darter...
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Poor forest management ends up causing bigger fires and loss of homes. Years ago I visited Yellowstone right after the huge fires there. Loggers weren't even permitted to drag away the burned up trees, even though the interior wood could still be salvaged. Talking to people who know forest management will tell you that the tree huggers that won't let them do an effective job actually cause worse damage to a forest and the environment.

Then there's the snail darter...

It's clear that if you visited the national parks you would get a good course at almost any of the visitor centers on the value of fire to forests in the eco-system.

First the vast majority of California forests are managed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT and fall under their rules and budgets. It is NOT California's Policies that manage those forests. And this was true for the recent Paradise fire also.

Second: Down and burned logs are CRITICAL to the rebuilding of a healthy forest. they provide housing for animals and their decay feeds the soil for many years to come.

Fire clearing out the underbrush allows new tree seedlings a real chance to grow and repopulate the forest.

Third: The fire in Yellowstone was in a NATIONAL PARK which is there to protect the forest in it's natural state as much as possible. As such in a natural environment without man's interference those trees would be allowed to stay where they are...and that is the right decision.

If you would like to understand the facts of fire ecology and it's importance to the forests go to the link below from the Pacific Biodiversity institute and the National Park service:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/fire/up...ts-of-fire.pdf

Fire Ecology

In addition I just attended a lecture here in Fairbanks at the University of Alaska by the man responsible for all fire fighting (forestry) in Alaska and what he told us tracks exactly with the articles above. (this lecture was part of the lectures we attend as driver/guides for Holland America/Princess here in Alaska)

So it seems to me that the SCIENCE and opinion of the experts do not agree with those people you cite who "...know forest management"

The required disclaimer:

Note: The views expressed here are mine alone and not necessarily those of HAP Alaska.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #56

Probably TOO Late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I think cows will fly first before this happens
As a native CA resident and living here for about 70 years, a number of things:
They have been working on many areas of Highway 99 for several years (10-30) to "add" a lane on two - 2 more lanes would never happen in our lifetime.

I-5 in the cities range from 2-6 lanes and no room for 2 more lanes unless they tear out homes and businesses along the way, some areas in S. CA need a dozen lanes but that would soon fill up too. Disney wanted to build a monorail in the LA area in the 50's but they said NO - Big mistake, also trains and subways built back then would have helped but TOO LATE now.

A lot of people in the LEFT (fast) lane won't move over for traffic behind them.
I know I'm TALKING TO SOME OF YOU who believe if you are doing the "speed limit" you don't have to move over but in my opinion if you're doing ANY speed in the fast lane and the guy behind you has to move around you, YOU need to move over - you are impeding the flow of traffic. On the autobahn if you traveling 100 mph, move over for the guy doing 110 mph and STAY OUT of the fast lane-only for YOU if you're the fastest guy on the road (you won't be).

Overall CA is a giant mess (on the roadways too), the infrastructure needs a lot of work and the state needs help. We could discuss "politics" here but 1/2 of you would be upset so will leave that alone. Get in your RV and travel to another state and just enjoy what you do have.
Closed Thread