Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #57

May I suggest a very nice Public Campground on the water in the Tampa Bay area. Ft Desoto is owned by the county and is approximately 1200 acres on the Gulf and the mouth of Tampa Bay. The campground is pretty large and it has a No Dog camp area and a Dog allowed camp area. I am sure a lot of you have been there. The best sites are in the Dog Free zone. Lots to do in the area and the Park is pristine FL Beach Front that is very hard to find elsewhere, the campsites are not on the Gulf but on the waters just off of the Gulf with Gulf access and a very large boat ramp and fishing piers, and lots more.

I am sure there are other nice Campgrounds that segregate Dog owners.
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #58

American Coach Owners Club
RFSOD48 you can relax, my daughters are grown but when younger knew how to behave when out it public.

Now go back and read my original reply to an earlier post where it was being implied that children and noisy dogs equal the same thing in a campground. I stated and will continue to state that in my mind children having normal fun outside is nowhere near as aggravating the incessant barking of uncontrolled dogs, whether inside the RV or outside. You may let your dog bark but that does not have to be anyone else's problem. sayonra
Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #59

5 pages & still going . . . I've owned at least 15 German Shepards, always 2 at a time, since graduating college. All were very obedient dogs because of the way I trained them. For example, the dogs were trained to stay right beside me, without a leash, when I was jogging 'off-road'. Contrary to what most dog owners I encounter seem to think, these are not four legged people. They do not understand words, but tone. I've heard RV'ers tell their yapping mutts to stop barking with intonation that dripped of love & approval. Of course the dog will continue to do what instinct tells it! Bark. Animal psychology is to take a natural behavior and reward it when it appears. Conversely, breaking a natural behavior will only happen when the animal clearly understands it is unwanted.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My dog barks 24-7...every minute of the day, until his throat is too sore to keep it up. Can't bark when he's eating either- so that's ok.

I seriously feel sorry for campers putting up with this though. I try to go to quiet spots and if someone shows up with a barker- the harbor master doesn't mess around.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Sky Pilot;2579548]

So your the other one...!
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #62

Our rescue Cocker was branded as, "Bear", very quickly. He sees something different and barks like a Bull Mastiff that's real mad. While the past six months have socialized him by 75%, that isn't good enough for us (or the UPS or FedEx guys).

We don't know if he barks or not when we're away, so we ask the CGs for an end spot, just in case. We also just ordered a spare battery for his shock collar, just in case. He doesn't wear it all the time, because he's stupid enough to get zapped by the highest setting...and that wears his neck fur away

Dogs are dogs, and shouldn't come before common respect for others. Golden Rule is how we roll. He'll wear the collar when we go for trips.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #63

Along with these are the people that do not leash their dogs. It gets old having other peoples dogs running across the sites just to sniff our dogs up for the next 5 minutes as we try walking away.
We do the right thing and leash our dogs on the site and off although they are allowed to run free on 5 acres at home.

And dog barking is an extreme annoyance and is a due result of a lack of training on part of the owners. It's hard to blame the dog for this.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:22 AM   #64
IC2

Dogs have a 'right' to bark a couple times as a warning if someone they don't know approaches your RV especially at a wrong time or way. They do NOT have a right to recreational bark for hours just because they can. That holds true even in your S&B neighborhood. After several polite requests by me and others in my neighborhood, two homeowners learned that our town can and will cost them a thinner checking account. Luckily both also moved soon after and are probably bothering their new neighborhoods. The CG where we spend much of the summer welcomes polite dogs, the owner having three. If the camper's and their dogs aren't polite (recreational barking, mantraps), a warning for a first offense. If it continues - you will be gone whether you are seasonal or a weekender. Oh, and we have our two 'polite' poodlepups, the worst they do is check for and leave new peemails.

There have been several CGs in the past that we have left where there are uncontrolled dogs (or people, for that matter) and a reason that I will usually only reserve for one or two nights at a new one. If it's intolerable, we have been known to pack and leave, forfeiting the cost of a night's stay as a price of sanity. Others brought up shrieking kids - sorry, folks, that's not the same they are just being .... kids.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Kids will be kids and dogs will be dogs! Sometimes they get to do their thing together. In the end it turns out that we as adults are the problem because we fail to educate both of them.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
Kids will be kids and dogs will be dogs! Sometimes they get to do their thing together. In the end it turns out that we as adults are the problem because we fail to educate both of them.
Well said!

And may I add, quit blaming "them" and "those people". Because "you" are "them" to everyone but yourself. Neither your kids or dogs are perfect angles all the time (I mean, really, were you little angels all the time? ).

And no, you can't call me a hippocrite (in this instance at least) since I do not have any pets, nor have we ever had children .
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #67

[QUOTE=skypilot_1;2580131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post

So your the other one...!
ex USAF Aviator-Vietnam of course, per era of song, although it is not about an aviator but a Chaplain which I am sure you know but maybe others do not....so an old Phart.

Back to subject...If dog owners can close the windows of their RV, close the blinds and curtains and prevent the dogs from seeing out, then add sound (the AC (s) on high, a white noise machine turned up loud and maybe even a loud war or action movie (anything with out dogs in it), music or something distracting on TV all loud enough inside the RV without disturbing the neighbors, it can often help the barking as they cannot see or hear anything to bark at, but some dogs are just pizzed they are left alone in an RV while everyone else is out doing things and just bark.

There are at least 3 types of barking dogs, the yippers, the guard dog bark and the howlers (hound type). I do not know which is more annoying. I (actually the boss of the house) have yippers and they are annoying to me
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #68

I finally had enough probs with others walking their pets into my camping area and letting them leave me a few loads right in front of me. Now not many do that with their pets as they clean up after them. But some have been so "totally uncaring". A neighbor next to me explained how he handled it. Seemed to work for me. Scoop it up into a small shovel, walk it to their camp site, slam it down in front of their front steps. Worked for me. Now, if I have to clean it up (dry or wet), it gets slammed down into the walkway where they are bound to find it. No more problems.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #69

I camped beside a camper that had his dog's voice box removed. I think I would use a muzzle.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Our one dog barks a bit but he also likes the air horns.

The first time he hit them we didn't know where it was coming from.

Then two days later he did it again and we finally caught him.

Our friends were there the first time and the second time, we all just sat there and laugh.

Who would have thought... The Dog...

Now I need to make some kind of cover over my steering wheel so that he doesn't do it again.

I don't want to get anyone mad.
JustJoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote