Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife and I both ride Harleys. They are loud and we like them that way. We trailer them into campgrounds. We never ride out early in the morning or come back late at night unless it was un-avoidable. We always "idle" thru the CG. We cut the ignition and roll into our camp site. Its all about respect for others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a campground the posted speed limit is usually 5 mph. If one cranks the throttle to rev the engine just to make noise, you could ask the biker not to or contact the park manager/ranger and complain. Personally I would rather hear a motorcycle pass by than listen to a diesel engine idling for 10 minutes outside my window. With the exception of 2 models, all Harleys are air cooled and would overheat idling in camp for any period.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #17

I love the Harley - loud or otherwise! I own a Gold Wing. I used to kid the Harley folks I rode with that I couldn't tell if my engine was running or not when we pulled up to a stop light together . American made, American Thunder! I'm older now, and don't ride much anymore, but still miss the music.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #18

Back in my day pipes had snuffers you could twist to make them quiet for a spell. I think that could be a nifty after-market money maker and camper pleaser.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Unfortunately, some with Harleys think they need to modify the pipes to sound right. JMHO, that is BS and is simply saying look at me. I have factory pipes on my Ultra Classic, everone knows it is Harley, and, for my money, the "look at me" guys and gals are simply looking for attention. If I had my way, only baffled factory pipes would be legal...and my ears would hurt less.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ultra Classic is a sofa on wheels !
Need to have quiet pipes, so you can hear your radio, gps, tv !!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

Doggy - I'll certainly agree with you on the 10 minute diesel running. Those individuals are just as inconsiderate as the noisy motorcycles leaving the campground in a roar. Nobody does it at 5 MPH anymore since most speedometers start at 10, who really knows what 5 MPH is.
I drive a diesel, as much as I hate it but needed the extra pulling power for mountainous driving, and it only takes a couple of minutes to air up the bags and ready to roll out of the CG. I some times wonder how many diesel owners like to say "Don't you just love the smell of diesel early in the mornings?"
Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
We both ride mid 80's Honda V45 Magnas and there is no reason for loud pipes. You can get closer to the local wild life with out scaring it off on the back roads. And the loud pipes can't be heard well before they get to you but only after they pass. I know that some friends of ours sold their house and moved away from being near the Highway because of the Harley sound-and they both ride!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #23

I also can't stand the unrefined noise of loud exhaust from the V twin. To me it just sound terrible. Even highly refined sport bikes I don't like loud either. My buddy has a V twin and we make him follow in the back of the pack. Way to much noise to enjoy the ride. Eco's something fierce in your helmet. I rented a Harley last year and was very happy it had stock quiet exhaust. Made the ride much better.

I also don't agree about loud exhaust prevents someone from pulling out in front of you. There is noise in front but not that much. Today's cars are so quiet that you can barely hear emergency vehicle sirens any more and they are directed to the front.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The old "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" is pure BS and the mantra cheered on by those that need attention. Talent and situational awareness saves lives, nothing more. I've owned about every make and model throughout my life and just happen to be back on a Harley. Anyone riding down the road thinking "my bike is so loud no one will ever pull out in front of me" is just looking for a hospital bed.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I not only ride but I own and operate a bike shop, sitting here right now. I had a loud bike in my high school days and it caused me to have my worst crash ever. The Red Hound Dog heard me coming and ran to hit me right behind my front wheel at 70mph and at night! I went down instantly! If i had been on my GL1800 he would still be sleeping on the front porch :-)
I know cars are going to pull into my lane,turn in front of me and everything else. Being in the country animals are better hidden and can run out behind a bush in seconds.
BTW a lot of the load pipe guys have ear plugs :-)

Eric
Old 03-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
Unfortunately it's respect for others that's missing... I have no understanding of the HD mentality, but I don't need to... I have no problem with the hobbies and desires of others. All I ask is a bit of consideration for my own. Those that ride into camp at idle will get a friendly wave. Those that wake me up burning through the camp will get told in sign language that they're number one...
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Owned Harleys for years and they all made "thunder". I did this for safety reasons. If you have ever had a motorcycle with quiet stock pipes sneak up on you and you never saw him or while riding had a car push you into oncoming traffic during a merge you might understand. Shaffer... true they (loud pipes) do not save lives all the time but I have seen them save mine more than once!

There are however proper and respectful noise levels when riding through a campground or starting the bike. If riding the posted limit (guessing 5 mph) where you will find more pedestrians than vehicle traffic, the motor should be basically at an idle or slightly higher which should produce only a low rumble. Not unpleasant at all for normal hearing. If the noise level is obnoxious and disturbing I am guessing it is the jerk who thinks he needs to make noise to announce himself to the entire campground. Nothing wrong with approaching him and telling him the chicks dig it "CDI" factor in the campground is a zero and he is not impressing anyone. If this does not work I would think an office visit and complaint to the management would be appropriate. Those who hit the throttle and "gun" the engine when sitting still? They are either in need of a serious engine tune-up or a "tune-up".

I have gone to Sturgis for the rally on my dresser and there was a guy near us at the Buffalo Ranch that was flying by our tent with cut pipes all night. I wanted to leave the tent and slap a brake disk lock on his bike and walk away. Problem is if you touch another guys Harley and he catches you, it will most likely cause you to have to return fire (Let the games begin)!
I will say most always when meeting Harley owners you will find them very respectful and friendly. They will stop to assist others in a second. The 1% that won't help and cause problems, you will recognize them at a glance while on the road and they won't give you a second look unless you are in a thong, halter top and sporting stilettos. This goes for both genders of this group.

Hope this small bit of advice is helpful.

Safe travels!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
So how is all that noise going out the BACK of your sled going to wake someone up who's way in FRONT of it? Got some sort of sound reflector or something?
It won't if they are way down the road but if they are on my right or left there is a lot less chance they'll change lanes into me. Use to happen to me a lot more on my Honda. Hardly ever on the Harley.

If I'm pulling up next to you and you have your windows rolled up and the air on you will hear me. I'm not as loud though as the crotch rockets flying past at 80-120 mph.

There's a saying. Sport bike riders commit suicide. Harley riders are murdered.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground