Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
Mr. Emeritus, you must be really proud that you live in the USA!!!! Throw me out if you like! What a bunch of ______! Have a nice evening!

Jim
Wow, just because he doesn't want to ride a harley?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know of a number of riders with 100k miles on Goldwings and Roadstars. I have helped work on a couple of HDs and do not think much of them. I have yet to see a HD with the miles you see put on Hondas and Yamahas.

But back to the original post. There is no reason to have a loud scooter except to annoy others. One private campground we have stayed had a loud HD rider come in. He made 2 passes out with all of the racket. Next we saw him pushing his loud scooter to the exit. He was told not to start the thing until he was at the exit and shut it down at the entrance or he could move out immediately.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What a picture that is, hope I never see that again. Put the mufflers back on.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
One private campground we have stayed had a loud HD rider come in. He made 2 passes out with all of the racket. Next we saw him pushing his loud scooter to the exit. He was told not to start the thing until he was at the exit and shut it down at the entrance or he could move out immediately.
Unfortunately more often they just don't want to deal with the hassle of confronting loud bike owners, so they simply ban all bikes.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
Your loud, obnoxious pipes that you say don't impact anyone, and we should all get a life, relax, or whatever other BS you rationalize for why you should continue to be allowed to infringe on all our rights is keeping me out of a campground I want to Winter in this Winter...or store the bike away from my campsite. You and your kind just took away my rights and had a negative impact on my plans.

Pls tell me why that is your right to do so. And before you tell me to find a more accommodating campground...you just enforced you preferences on my mine again.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we have our HD's with us we start up and get out of the CG. No idling because it's not required. I do the same with the MH, start up, bags up and get out. Yes, I do agree there are obnoxous limits. just like the boomer cars that vibrate your house when they drive by.

02 Ultra (stage 1)
03 Heritage stock nostalgic style pipes.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I know of a number of riders with 100k miles on Goldwings and Roadstars. I have helped work on a couple of HDs and do not think much of them. I have yet to see a HD with the miles you see put on Hondas and Yamahas.

Ken
nonsense

I have put 100k miles on several H-D's. You don't like them; fine, but you have no idea as to the quality, reliability and longevity of them. Funny, I've never seen a 80 or 90 year old Honda or Yamaha on the road. The last several years the cannonball rally has seen dozens on Vintage H-D's crossing the US.

As for noise, there are impolite riders of all brands, as well as noisy and impolite RV'ers.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #78

When people buy a HD, they have to make a decision to follow the law and be respectful of others or break the law and infringe on the rights of hundreds or thousands of others. No amount of rider care can stop the infringement, they can just reduce it somewhat. Just starting a straight pipes bike wakes up people many sites away. You can rationalize it all you want, but if you have straight pipes, you have made a decision that you don't care if you break the law and bother many, many other people who mainly just try to ignore the inconsiderate guy who doesn't mind bothering everybody else.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #79

What complainers!
I have 2 bikes and neither have stock exhaust - because I LIKE the sound they make. It is a pleasant sound for me. NEITHER are obnoxiously loud (to me), just not stock. It is a soothing purring sound to me while I ride. One though, can become obnoxiously loud IF I open the throttle past half way. I happen to DRAG RACE this bike on legal tracks like Gainesville Raceway or Orlando SpeedWorld and this exhaust produces more HP than stock! That Victory Hammer has over 85,000 miles on it and 40 or so 1/4 mile passes on it! All street legal, but some would argue it isn't because of the noise level capable of coming out, NOT what level it is, for normal riding.

People alter exhaust to make sounds they like. They play their music because they like it. They run generators for their comfort. IF they stick around your area too long, being too loud for you, politely talk to them and voice your concern. They may not know they are too loud for you. Their bike may have the exhaust facing your campsite and simply turning it may cure most of the complaint. I have had to ask neighbors to turn down stereos down, hush barking dogs, or whatever. Usually, politely asking gets results. I haven't met anyone trying to annoy me personally.

To show how absurd this thread is getting - What else can we complain about?
My diesel? Someone else beat me to that.
How about your generator? Someone brought that up but I'll add - I don't take mine camping, but you do and I have to hear it ALL night for your A/C.
Golf cart? Gas ones can be loud, but then that squeaky wheel on your electric one that you ride around the park at sunup wakes me up.
Kids? I have none.
Dog? Mine don't bark unless someone knocks on the door and that is her job. Others bark to annoy everyone and you think it is just so cute it is talking to you. You are use to it - it annoys us.
How about those wind chimes your wife had you hang because they sound so pretty? Again, annoying to others.
You - hollering for your better half to bring whatever you are screaming for, out of the RV, because you don't want to go get it yourself! She/he is here to relax too! Now go get it quietly yourself!
Radio, stereo, mp player, or whatever playing music you don't want to hear - unless you go somewhere there are signs for QUIET, someone will inevitably park within earshot and play something you or I don't like or want to hear.
How about that "clack - clack - clack" sound that rickety walker makes that you/or your other half has to use? As sure as I lay down in my hammock for a nap, you are going to walk past!
Those partiers that are going all night long? I used to be one - but the CG warned other customers that we would party all night long and the next GC 3 miles down river would be quieter. I try not to complain as I was once them at one time.
Ok, let the complaining continue! I know I missed something.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
Rationalization.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #81

National RV Owners Club
Might be time to close this thread - it's not going anywhere. It has the loud supporters and the quiet supporters and only (hearsay) arguments to support which ever side you are on. Just my humble opinion but let's close it before we start throwing rocks or more insults at each other.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #82
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We do seem to be getting mired down in this thread and all sides have been pretty well represented.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Closed Thread

Tags
campground