Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 04:51 AM   #1

Noob needs advice

Hello RVers!

I'm looking at a 34 foot 2005 Monaco Cayman PDD and have some questions....

1) Where does Monaco lie on the quality spectrum? I understand some like Newmar and Tiffin are near the top but haven't heard much good or bad about Monaco.

2) This particular Cayman had a very annoying 'whistle' that might have been wind noise from about 40-45 MPH. I couldn't identify what region it was coming from. Any ideas what might have caused it?

3) There was an odd sound every time it shifted to a higher gear (1->2, 4->5) that sounded like rubber squealing or a belt slipping. It wasn't loud and the MH didn't shudder or shimmy or anything like that. I could easily tolerate it as long as it doesn't mean the transmission is dying and will give me a 10K repair bill soon.

Thoughts welcome on the coach or the specific issues. It seems like a really nice motorhome - very quiet, runs very smoothly, no rust, in good shape inside and out.

TIA
IWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What chassis is this?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
its like with cars, they start at an entry level and move up - the higher end use better materials as the base, some of which might be options in the midrange but rarely in the low end.

Voyager and Ambassador were the entry models in the early 2000s and as they phased out some names they moved them up the line. Executives are the top.

Here is a good list - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...up-239878.html

Re: wind - Check with mirrors (change angle) and look for airleaks or items protruding in the airstream around the entry door.

Re: TRans- Do a transmission fluid sample and be prepared to change fluid and filters. It will run about 250$ (with same kit) and require you be able to dispose of five gallons of fluid. It can be done in just a few hrs normally.

Here's the details on fluid testing - https://jglubricantservices.com/

Add your year and model to the signature file.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

Waiter21: I don't know what chassis it's built on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
its like with cars, they start at an entry level and move up - the higher end use better materials as the base, some of which might be options in the midrange but rarely in the low end.

Voyager and Ambassador were the entry models in the early 2000s and as they phased out some names they moved them up the line. Executives are the top.

Here is a good list - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...up-239878.html

Good list, thanks! So the Cayman is one of the lower end units for Monaco. At the listed price that's understandable.....

Quote:
Re: wind - Check with mirrors (change angle) and look for airleaks or items protruding in the airstream around the entry door.

Re: TRans- Do a transmission fluid sample and be prepared to change fluid and filters. It will run about 250$ (with same kit) and require you be able to dispose of five gallons of fluid. It can be done in just a few hrs normally.

Here's the details on fluid testing - https://jglubricantservices.com/

Add your year and model to the signature file.
Thanks for the oil analysis pointer, it looks very useful.

I'll add the year and model to the signature file once I actually purchase one. I just test-drove the Cayman yesterday and noted those issues with it, thought I should ask those more experienced for advice.

Update: I just heard back from the owner and it seems the transmission noises went away when they got the muffler re-connected. I didn't mention the muffler because the solution was obvious (re-attach it, fool!). I'm still having a hard time understanding the connection there, but maybe it's all better now.

Thanks for all the help, this is a great site!
IWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In 2005 Monaco was a highly respected RV builder, but as others have said they build various models to meet a fairly broad price range, with fewer features, less-robust construction and lower grade interior furnishings at the lower end. The Cayman is at the bottom of the diesel-pusher coach line-up, with the Diplomat, Camelot, Windsor, Signature, Executive, Dynasty and Knight all above it. That doesn't make it bad, but it should temper your expectations somewhat.

The 2005 Cayman uses the Roadmaster R4R chassis, which had a recall for a serious suspension defect that did not show up until later in life. Not all those ever got fixed, so check that carefully. Research the Roadmaster R4R trailing arm suspension problem.

Here is the 2005 Cayman brochure, with lots of info you should have to make an informed decision.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resource...46_brc_pdf.pdf

Other year/model Monaco brochures are also available:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have the RoadMaster RR4R chassis in my 06 Monaco, and it had the bad trailing arms. I have a picture of it broken, and I drove it like that, unknowingly. Amazing how God protects idiots and fools, huh? This site turned me on to the fix. $5000 later, parts and labor, I have the really good trailing arms from Source Engineering. She's a sweet ride, I kinda hate arriving, it's so much fun to drive.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a shot of my left aft broken trailing arm, shot from under the hitch looking forward and left. The new ones are beefier and look like this:
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewWood 020.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	286412  
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #8

As mentioned above the R4R chassis had an issue, they had a recall on it, so many, but not all R4R chassis have been repaired with the upgraded rear control arms which seems to fix the issue. As to where this fits in the quality scheme in 2005 Monaco was a quality coach manufacture who fell on hard times with the 2008 economic downturn and was hence bought out, so todays Monaco and Monaco of 2005 are somewhat different companies. The Cayman was introduced as their budget minded coach, trying to put it into car terms using the classic GM method to tiered branding it would be the Chevrolet of the Monaco lineup, not the Oldsmobile or Cadillac. As to the whistle it is likely air blowing around a windshield or window seal, and may be an easy fix, though if it is I would want to locate it as water might also be leaking in causing rot or rust. The transmission noise worries me more and should be diagnosed by a mechanic specializing in this drivetrain brand.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice