Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
So what is better for a long extension cord? Stranded or solid?
The power company uses stranded to reach your house.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 06:40 AM   #16

And this is why like many I buy as much as I can on line. Being retired I have the time to wait for items. Very little I need right now.

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-25-2023, 07:02 AM   #17

Quote:
So what is better for a long extension cord? Stranded or solid?

Now that I actually think about it, I’m not sure whether you could even find a cord with solid wire. In any case, stranded would be the answer, as it’s much more flexible. The more strands, the greater the flexibility.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:16 AM   #18

Stranded wire presents more surface area along which the currents travel.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:32 AM   #19

A long time ago, back in the mid-1980s, I was the engineer on a production line that used some very special #6 or #8 washers, I forget after 40 years. We used a lot of them. The outside circumference was beveled, which made them different and more expensive than a plain flat washer.

Yes, this was a bunch of years ago, but think about what you pay for a pack of 10 washers of that size at the big box store. Probably $1.10 or so for a bag with 10 simple flat washers.

Our production equipment was old and rather than replace the equipment on a product we anticipated would be phased out in a year or two, we opted to purchase them. I got various quotes, and when I chose the guy who offered to sell the bulk washers for $1.26 per THOUSAND, he was excited. Of course, this was on the telephone, we didn't have text messages or email back then. I had toss out a number of 8 million washers. He told me, 8 million washers a year was a nice run. I then had to explain, that was 8 million washers a month, more like 96 million a year. The price dropped to $1.10.

Often times, when I need to run some wiring or replace a cord, it is cheaper for me to purchase an extension cord and chop off one or both ends to use the cable than it is to purchase the cable alone.

I do agree, the city would prefer you (1) get a building permit, (2) hire a licensed electrician, and (3) get a city inspector to check out the work. I have never done that, but I do think any electrical work I have done exceeds the electrical code and in many cases, is safer than what I have seen in some new home construction.

If you don't know or have any second thoughts about doing it yourself, hire it done. You will sleep better at night.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Our RV is only a B+/C and so is 30 amps. I did ask the electrician what gauge I should use for about 75 feet of extension cable and he said 10 gauge would be fine up to perhaps 100 feet.

My original request was for a quote for installing the outlet in the garage and that would have required running the cable from the circuit breaker box up the outside wall to the attic, across the house and then down into the garage. He said that he thought that would take about 100 feet of cable and that he would use 100 gauge for that.
OOPS - this is 10 gauge, of course. I need to be better at proofreading.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Thanks.

I thought that I remembered that current traveled on the surface of the wire but I was not sure that I remembered correctly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
At low voltage (below 600V) currents run through the body of the conductor. At high voltage (above 3 KV) currents run on the surface of the conductor. In between (middle voltage) is kind of a mix with lots of variables.

I have done lots of high voltage work. Limit points are debatable with lots of disagreement. I used commonly used numbers.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBarb View Post
At low voltage (below 600V) currents run through the body of the conductor. At high voltage (above 3 KV) currents run on the surface of the conductor. In between (middle voltage) is kind of a mix with lots of variables.

I have done lots of high voltage work. Limit points are debatable with lots of disagreement. I used commonly used numbers.
When AC is induced onto a wire, eddy currents are set up producing the skin effect. Now, at low frequencies this is easily measurable. At very high frequencies this skin effect is only as deep as a light wave.
A conductor with aradius of more than 1/2" has no measurable current at the center.
I think. Tech school was about 55 years ago.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #24

30 amp service with 10 gage wire seems a bit weak… I ran 100 feet of 6-3 wire and installed my own 50 amp service. No, I’m not an electrician but I did the research and got it done. Works great!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
30 amp service with 10 gage wire seems a bit weak… I ran 100 feet of 6-3 wire and installed my own 50 amp service. No, I’m not an electrician but I did the research and got it done. Works great!
Good deal. Your air conditioner will appreciate the minimal voltage drop you strove for.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Often times, when I need to run some wiring or replace a cord, it is cheaper for me to purchase an extension cord and chop off one or both ends to use the cable than it is to purchase the cable alone.
I hate being wasteful when not needed.

I just had to add a bit extension cord for one of my projects. The store sold compete cords and bulk cord. I ended up buying a cord and cutting it down since the price was way cheaper.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:41 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When AC is induced onto a wire, eddy currents are set up producing the skin effect. Now, at low frequencies this is easily measurable. At very high frequencies this skin effect is only as deep as a light wave.
A conductor with a radius of more than 1/2" has no measurable current at the center.
I think. Tech school was about 55 years ago.
While what you are saying is true at higher frequencies but at 60 Hz you are at such a low frequency that it is basically DC regarding where the current is carried in the conductor. Things become more dependent on voltage. This is one of several reasons why over a 100 years ago that 50/60 Hz was chosen.

For 60 Hz to get the huge currents in a coil to induce fields for a transformer takes lots of wraps. It also takes lots of iron. Switching supplies chop things up to get higher frequencies and have a much smaller transformer. Often the frequency is so high that you do not even need any iron. In them you need to start worrying about eddy currents in the design.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:29 AM   #28

Quote:

To the OP; use this wire size calculator to see the voltage drop and resistance of 10ga. wire, and what size is required for wiring a 100' one way run, 30A, 110VAC outlet. It shows #6 wire is the minimum size.

https://www.electricaltechnology.org...alculator.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote