Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #1

Note to self: Hook-up before extending slides!

So there I am, very aware the slides are already out while hooking up but still managed to start standing upright after pulling out the electric cord and drove my lower back right into the corner of the bedroom slide.

It poked a hole in the left side of my back just above my waistline. Five days later it still hurts like a son of a b**ch! Black and blue with shades of green.

I could hear my father asking me afterwards, "well, did you learn something?"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I know folks who put either tennis balls or pipe insulation stuff on their slide corners before they even begin to set up. I've been lucky so far with the little corner protectors doing their job on the slideout. The knob side of the bottom of the entry door is as sharp as a knife, as well, and I still wear the scar on my foot to remind me of that. Hope you're up to date on your tetanus shots!!!

Lori
classcrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Pool noodles on all corners.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I Feel Yer Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGotThis View Post
... drove my lower back right into the corner of the bedroom slide.
Ouch. Makes my back hurt, just thinking about it!

We've done the noodle thing off and on, on the open entertainment center (swing-up) door; but, the biggee for us has been that danged corner of the overhead TV frame at the top of the entry stairs. OMG... to have the force of your body traveling upward and driving the top of your skull into that sharp point... It is dressed with one of those foam corner guards from the Nursery section at WalMart.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Ouch. Makes my back hurt, just thinking about it!

the biggee for us has been that danged corner of the overhead TV frame at the top of the entry stairs.
Me too! DW is always nice enough to say "how long have you been that tall?"

Banged head, back, arm and any other body part I could into the slides. My neighbors 12 year old son banged his forehead right into the corner of one. I was really worried about it but not only was he tough about it, he was fine. I told him afterward that now it is well padded with skin from his head.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Right after buying our first 5er, I walked around the front corner and walked right into the bedroom slide, head first. Noodles would not have done any good. Walked into the flat part, was looking where I was putting my feet.

Yea I learned, had bruises on my face for a few days.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First time we had a slide in 2002. On our second coach now with 3 slides and I am still walking into our standing up into them. More slides more bumps.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

The first thing that I do when we get into our site is to hook up the electric. I have had to completely re-do everything and move to another site when the electric at the site was bad.
As far as hitting my head, I have to look out for the mirrors after dumping the air bags. Ouch! They don't have too much "give"
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
been there, done that, sure makes a person feel stupid for a while.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
edj

I have walked into the corner of the bdrm slide. Took 4-5 stitches to close the gash in my scalp.... I got some slide corner protectors from Camping World after that. They come in black and also white colors. It would still hurt walking into the corners, but at least it would leave the flesh intact.....

It is a good idea to plug in the RV AC power to the campground source before opening the slides. The AC will then supply a good portion of the power to open the slides instead of drawing it entirely from the battery.

If I do not need the slides open right away, I try to hook up the water/sewer before the slides are open also. Just makes it easier.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
On my Monaco Camelot all hookups are in the open, not under slides.I am sure if they where not, I also would have had lots of scars. One can never be to careful.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just unpacked from our last trip and this thread reminded me that one night while we were watching TV, we heard a bang on the side of the unit, upon investigating we found a teen ager flat on the ground out cold. We finnaly got him to come too and wiped the blood from his face.
Seems as tho he was cutting thru our campsite and did not see the slide while he was running.
Next time he said he would not go into someone elses site as a short cut.
Believe it or not his parents said they would sue us for creating a hazzard and causing trhere son harm.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGotThis View Post
So there I am, very aware the slides are already out while hooking up but still managed to start standing upright after pulling out the electric cord and drove my lower back right into the corner of the bedroom slide.

It poked a hole in the left side of my back just above my waistline. Five days later it still hurts like a son of a b**ch! Black and blue with shades of green.

I could hear my father asking me afterwards, "well, did you learn something?"

Get some of these and it won't hurt as much next time.
Slideout Corner Guards - Product - Camping World

Noodles are a good idea also for longer horizontal edges.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I still walk into the large awning arms when they are out, still don't get it

Yes it hurts, and we never learn