Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Notes from a 21 day/6K road trip

I just returned and thought I'd provide random thoughts and observations from my trip driving from Orange County CA to the Florida Keys with stops along the way. I drove my 2011 Winnebago Sightseer 36V pulling a Chevy HHR. Both came through with flying colors other than one mishap not related to either vehicle. Stops included Eisenhower & Carter museums (do NOT take your RV to Carter - trees, tight roads and they wouldn't even let tour buses in though I only found out too late after taking the marked road). Also visited Fort Wilderness in Disney, Everglades National Park with an airboat tour and Daytona Beach to visit family. My timing was hit or miss. I hit every big city rush hour but missed Dorian (though was unable to scuba/snorkle at John Pennecamp due to boats not going out so spent one day bike riding around Key West and another in the Everglades). Luckily decided not to spend the night in Beaumont TX as I wanted to get through Houston (wasn't listening to XM at the time and lucked out) at the beginning of the storm. I installed the Eez tire minder and didn't carry a spare which I solicited opinions prior to my departure. Oh, and my wife flew into Orlando and spent ten days with me in Florida.

A good trip but 12-14 hour days driving solo wasn't fun and will not try this again until I retire in 16 months when I can spread it out without time constraints.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Thanks for all the info you posted. I have thought of doing a possible solo trip pulling a 34 ft. trailer. Not sure about it. My DW does not want to travel during summer months because she manages a program as a volunteer which lasts from early June to middle of August. There are areas of the country which are best to visit at that time of year to avoid wintry weather. Glad to here your trip was mostly uneventful.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPER70 View Post
Thanks for all the info you posted. I have thought of doing a possible solo trip pulling a 34 ft. trailer. Not sure about it. My DW does not want to travel during summer months because she manages a program as a volunteer which lasts from early June to middle of August. There are areas of the country which are best to visit at that time of year to avoid wintry weather. Glad to here your trip was mostly uneventful.
You can visit any area of the country before or after your wife's committments. June to middle of August are the worst times to travel, in our opinion.... too crowded, too hot in lower states.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did half that distance last year and it was far too much. Even with 3 or 4 days between driving days it's a lot. I try to keep the driving under 400 miles a day, 300 is better, and no more than 2 driving days in a row. Then stay put for a few days sightseeing.

Glad your setup is working well, now you have an idea what to plan for it will be easier/better.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

Our plan is to drive 250 miles +/- and then stop 3 days. It works well for us and we get to enjoy our travels. Both of us drive the coach and if we do need to push longer, neither of us drives more than 2 hours at a time.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

We did that sort of trip, not solo, when I was limited on vacation time. Drove the opposite way, Florida to Yosemite, once in 4 1/2 days. But that was because we got a late start and had a hard deadline of a Yosemite Valley reservation to make. We are greatly relieved not to have to do that sort of thing anymore. We normally would not drive to the west coast with that sort of time limit tho.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #7

I did a trip like that many summers ago from Arizona to the Florida Keys and back in two weeks. We even did John Pennecamp too. All I remember about that trip now is how long the drive was and how little time it seemed like we had once we got there. Oh yes... and how many mosquitos there were in the keys!

Now that I'm retired we try to keep our drives under 250 miles per day and spend at least two days at each stop, though occasionally we'll drive two days in a row just to get to where we really want to go.

I hate driving a Class A through cities, and avoid them like the plague, but I'm glad you managed to get there and back unscathed.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Way too much traveling for us in a 3 week trip.

We go by the 2.5/2.5/2 rule. We go max 250 miles a day, into camp by 2:30PM and stay a minimum of 2 days and like 4-5 day stays better.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote