Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #29

When we return from our summer travels we stop at a full hook up site within about a hundred miles from home and empty all the tanks. When winterizing I really clean the tanks and use a pump and run into the septic system. Its a fair run to the septic system and a little up hill.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Divine providence

When we took on the monumental task for renovating this 1972 RevCon, dubbed Flatnose Frank, there were 2 signs that is was meant to be:

1. Our driveway is 25 1/2 feet long - an exact fit for this 250 model (25.5 ft)
2. Someone had installed a dump in the driveway in the 80's, in precisely the proper location.

Here is a pic of how I rigged up a solution to dump the very nasty mess that the previous transient residents left behind. (Note the $15 makeshift drain tube hack that I rigged before i'd decided to buy a real stinky slinky since we hadn't fully committed to the project.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irv2_IMG_5126__1__JPG.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	279403  
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnsonsv View Post
When we took on the monumental task for renovating this 1972 RevCon, dubbed Flatnose Frank, there were 2 signs that is was meant to be:

1. Our driveway is 25 1/2 feet long - an exact fit for this 250 model (25.5 ft)
2. Someone had installed a dump in the driveway in the 80's, in precisely the proper location.

Here is a pic of how I rigged up a solution to dump the very nasty mess that the previous transient residents left behind. (Note the $15 makeshift drain tube hack that I rigged before i'd decided to buy a real stinky slinky since we hadn't fully committed to the project.)
WHAT AN AWESOME RESTORATION JOB! you should be very proud. I've been in the auto restoration business for 40 years and there's nothing more satisfying than to see something like that get finished. you did a great job.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
If your septic system is properly maintained, you shouldn’t have a problem. For best results you should tap into the inlet pipe instead of the clean out to take advantage of the baffle so the high flow doesn’t churn up solids on the bottom. Google septic tank design to see how they work. The family who had the brown yard flood probably had a failed leach field, though it may have been overwhelmed. It’s important to have your tank periodically serviced.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #33

No stinky slinky for me. Also no chemicals, and no smell.
Years ago I bought one of those 1" hose, water jet hoses at Camping world. Works a treat. Now the hose that lays on the ground is made of proper 1" hose material, instead of a wire wrapped very thin plastic stinky ( why do you think it stinks?). This ends with a PVC 90° fitting that slips into the multi size screw in waste pipe fitting (for attachment at the campground end).

Other years we have ended our trip with an overnight stay at a campground, so the last few hours we would travel with empty black and grey tanks, full fresh water and fuel.

This year, on the lam from Covid 19, we last dumped at Orange Grove, Bakersfield, last fueled at Olympia WA, so arrived home (Saltspring Island, BC) with partially full tanks.

That 1" hose easily connected to an old garden hose (now marked "not for potable water") that easily drops into the sewer line cleanout between the house and the septic tank. 15 minutes and all done. It took me longer to fit the hoses and put them away than the dump took.
Koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do dump the RV waste into our septic tank via macerator pump and 120ft of 1" pipe. No problems in 6 years. However, I do not use any kind of chemicals after making the last dump before heading home. Then there's only a small volume in the tanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I also plumbed in 2 RV dumps. We do not use any chemicals in the black or grey tanks. We also do no put TP down the toilet. I've not had any problems dumping.
Don't think I could talk my wife or her husband into that one...… just sayin'
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #36

OP, be sure you are in the sanitary line and not a storm drain - they look just the same. Easiest way is to take off the cap and have someone flush the toilet and see if the water comes racing by.

As far as dumping at home goes, it's by far the best thing I've ever done with respect to RVing. No more waiting in line at the campground, no more making the kids "hold it" after leaving the campground, no more worrying about using the RV at home. The way my house is setup I could only get to gray line so I do the macerator pump thing and that's been amazing as well. No more stinky slinky. When out camping I just leave the hose hooked up for gray water then deal with black when I get home.

Another reason cities frown on dumping RVs at home is that incoming water to your house is metered but waste is just charged based on incoming. With an RV you could bring in water from elsewhere that you haven't paid your city for and put it into their system to deal with. Of course, they don't mind you paying for water and putting it on your lawn all summer
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
A couple of years ago they added an "inspection cap" (that's what they're called).

I would HIGHLY recommend that before you dump, you fill the bathroom tub up with water... and when you dump, let the tub drain. While there is a % drop for every so many feet of line inside the house, it may not be as steep outside and you could block up your system. You might also just flush an inside toilet a couple of times during dump too, just to make sure it goes through the pipe...

ask me how I know... or just trust me on this one.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #38

I just finished putting in my drain in so I can now dump at home as well. digging the 30' line from the main drain to the RV wasn't so much fun, now I am sore lol. but it's worth it to not have to search for place to dump before we get home
Old 03-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #39
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
When we return from our summer travels we stop at a full hook up site within about a hundred miles from home and empty all the tanks. When winterizing I really clean the tanks and use a pump and run into the septic system. Its a fair run to the septic system and a little up hill.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
I remember years ago where one MH manufacturing company had a system that using a macerater they injected the liquid into the exhaust. End result was a small amount of ash from the tailpipe. Lots of temperature controls no doubt and might be unpleasant for the guy behind, especially if it wasn't working correctly.
No doubt it got lost in the emissions saga. Anyone remember this?
I think there were some limitations in that you still had to dump occasionally. Just imagine the clogged tanks.
The brand was a SaniCon. My FMC was originally equipped with one as were a number of other coaches of the seventies. Only it was NOT a macerator as it was a low volume tube pump attached to the grey tank only. It had a screen to keep large particle out of the pump.

It was also interconnected such that one had to be over 40mph and the exhaust temp had to be over a certain number. While I removed mine as it was disconnected and they were troublesome to keep working, they are still legal so long as it was OEM. I do know of a couple coaches that still have working ones. I bench tested mine by hooking it up to a battery and pumping some cold coffee through it. It still works but could use new tubing that is more flexible.
BigRabbitMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I ran a separate line from my septic for my granny to dump her Class C while she was visiting. This was 25 years ago and owning an RV wasn't even on my radar. Guess where I built our RV carport 18 years later, right next to the RV dump.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
While doing some digging in front of my home I came across the cap for the sewer clean-out, which was buried below ground level. I removed the cap and found my trailer's sewer line fit in perfectly. I can now dump my tanks at home. Such a nice surprise.
Good find! I recommend raising up & installing a clean-out cap with threaded adapter, or maybe a “sanitary Y” to facilitate down-stream flow.. Either way it’s like having full hookup @ a campsite.
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote