RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #1

Now I can dump at home

While doing some digging in front of my home I came across the cap for the sewer clean-out, which was buried below ground level. I removed the cap and found my trailer's sewer line fit in perfectly. I can now dump my tanks at home. Such a nice surprise.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #2

Congrats! Wish I could do that.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Yup it's handy. Ours even worked out to be within a few feet of our dump point on the coach, when parked on the pad.
Some people say not to use it if on a septic tank, not sure why - maybe overwhelm the drain field?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #4

and I thought you were gonna say you finally found some TP....
Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #5

My clean-out is too far away and a couple of feet up hill so I use a macerator left over from my boating days and old garden hose. You can buy a macerator that's ready to go or, for the DIYer, there are instructions online about how to convert a household garbage disposer into a macerator pump for this purpose.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...4dUDCAs&uact=5
Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Yup it's handy. Ours even worked out to be within a few feet of our dump point on the coach, when parked on the pad.
Some people say not to use it if on a septic tank, not sure why - maybe overwhelm the drain field?
Issue with septic tanks is a sudden large volume of waste. ST's are the opposite of holding tanks: less water for them lets solids settle out for decomposition, and let liquids pass for dispersion and bio-cleaning in the ground. Too much waste in a short time floods solids into the leach field, clogging it and making a horrid mess.
I have a ST, and make sure I don't dump full tanks, ever. Usually we dump the day before getting home. I dump at home on days when no laundry or other extensive washing is being done.
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack View Post
Issue with septic tanks is a sudden large volume of waste. ST's are the opposite of holding tanks: less water for them lets solids settle out for decomposition, and let liquids pass for dispersion and bio-cleaning in the ground. Too much waste in a short time floods solids into the leach field, clogging it and making a horrid mess.
I have a ST, and make sure I don't dump full tanks, ever. Usually we dump the day before getting home. I dump at home on days when no laundry or other extensive washing is being done.
Make sense.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I also don't think that the black tank chemicals that people use are good for a septic tank. The septic tank relies on bacteria to breakdown the solids, chemicals can kill the bacteria.

I just built a new sticks and brick house with septic system. I have 2 laundry rooms, which my wire uses continuously, and uses bleach, so I bypassed the septic tank and it goes to the 550 ft of drain field, which is the champer type with 5-110' runs with cross over connections. I should never have a problem.

I also plumbed in 2 RV dumps. We do not use any chemicals in the black or grey tanks. We also do no put TP down the toilet. I've not had any problems dumping.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #9

Now that you located the clean out line........hope you have extended it and brought it up above grade
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

A lot of cities don’t allow that because they are afraid of a sewage spill....when I poured my rear driveway behind the house I put one in. When the inspector came before the pour he asked what it was for and informed him it was just a “clean out”
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
My clean-out is too far away and a couple of feet up hill so I use a macerator left over from my boating days and old garden hose. You can buy a macerator that's ready to go or, for the DIYer, there are instructions online about how to convert a household garbage disposer into a macerator pump for this purpose.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...4dUDCAs&uact=5

I followed these directions about a year ago. I love the garbage disposal macerator. Much improved over the 12v commercial one I had. And half the price.

ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The main reason not to dump in your home septic has to do with the chemicals that holding tank treatments contain. Most of them are not septic safe and will kill the biologic action in your septic tank that breaks down the waste. Just don't add the chemicals and you can dump at home without issue. Dumping a 40 gallon tank is no more volume than emptying a bathtub so volume is not the issue.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
The main reason not to dump in your home septic has to do with the chemicals that holding tank treatments contain. Most of them are not septic safe and will kill the biologic action in your septic tank that breaks down the waste. Just don't add the chemicals and you can dump at home without issue. Dumping a 40 gallon tank is no more volume than emptying a bathtub so volume is not the issue.

My 5vr has 128 gal waste capacity.
Many MHs have higher capacites.
Dumping large volumes too quickly can force 'solids' to go into leech system (carry over) so one needs to 'regulate' the RV discharge rate to minimize the volume being added to their septic tank.

Having a 'clean out' at home allows one to take their time.
And YES chemicals can be a problem.....most RV chemicals no longer have formaldehyde and are 'septic safe'
I don't use them cause I think they are unnecessary. Water is all that is really needed.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #14

Ya sure is nice being able to do that.

There is a clean out in my driveway about 15 feet away from the trailer.

mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote