Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
Let’s see you have so many issues, as others have said you seem to have an attitude problem but only you can fix that. If I read you right you have a refrigerator that doesn’t work, you’re in luck there is a you tube video that explains how to replace the cooling unit and where to buy it and it can be done inside your unit. We had a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire and never had a problem with any resorts we went into, it looked like it was only 3-4 years old. We’ve been a lot of places with it of course never to CA, I wouldn’t go there if they paid me, to many normal places to go. If you work on your attitude a little, fix your fridge, and leave CA you’ll be surprised what’s outside of it.
I'm afraid I can't agree with this advice. I spent years trying to get my Norcold to cool properly on the road-- this was when the cooling unit was working. The cooling unit failed. I replaced it with one of the Amish, helium units. It wasn't sealed properly and had to be re-installed, but still didn't cool properly on the road and it took 24 hours to cool down when I turned it on. Then I saw the dreaded yellow powder and smelled ammonia. The cooling unit had failed again.

In all, I spent well over $4,000 on the Norcold and about a hundred hours of my time (not counting the *many* hours I spent worrying about it). I replaced the cooling unit, the thermister, the heating elements, the igniter, and some other stuff. I added fans (at one point it had five fans on the outside (each controlled by a switch) and two fans on the inside.

Finally, I came to my senses and replaced it with a $1500 french-door, counter-depth, residential refrigerator.

I discovered this GE model. I got the slate no-fingerprint version and really like the color.

It's 18.6 cubic ft compared to the Norcold's 12 and it weighs less. It's 32 3/4 inches wide so it fits exactly in the 33" opening. Best of all, with the doors off, it fit through the 24" door of my rig! No need to pop out a window.

I did the job myself (even got the new one in the door by myself - I definitely don't recommend doing that!). I had to make some minor modifications to get the new one to fit in the hole with the proper clearances, but that only took an hour or two. Once installed, all I had to do was plug it in. I did not connect the ice maker, in my experience, over 90% of the problems people have with residential units are related to the ice maker. I use ice-cube trays.

Now I run my generator about 5-10 minutes every hour to cool it down and the stuff inside it nice and cold all the time. Plus, I don't have to wait for hours for it to cool down after I've been on the road.

As so many others have said, I wish I'd put in a residential unit years ago.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 03:05 AM   #44

Hay y'all "I get it".