Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #1

Now I get it

Hello all, I have checked in I believe once before when I joined this site. It was about 6 months ago. And I title this post " now I get it ".. because it took me awhile to get into the swing of things.." as this 2000 Safari Panther is the first I have ever experience as far as motorhomes go. I just got to say I find it amazing how many of you sound in good spirits. Because I find that, that unless you are a middle-aged couple with the husband usually wearing short-sleeve button-up shirt, a gray thick head of hair... in crew cut fashion, and accompanied by a forearm tattoo usually a knife with a banner it says lucky...because you are going to have an awfully hard time making RV life work. So much so... it's given me second thoughts about selling and getting out. What you never hear about.. is the subcultures little clicks, biases, prejudices... and just plain meanness. Example... I am very fortunate to have bought this Safari Continental Panther 425 horse... without doing much of inspection.. as I found out you should do however as I say I'm very lucky that this thing was in pretty much pristine condition. Except for the one little thing.. that really isn't a little thing, it's a huge thing. By that I mean the norcold 1200 refrigerator. Piece of junk. As I have read over and over. Now my friends say to me what's the big deal you'll just have to put in a new refrigerator. Until I tell one of them you cannot get the thing out of the bus except through the windshield. In other words, everything is about money with these things. And I find... and I don't care if you think you found a real honest maintenance outfit... they are all overpriced of rip offs. I have worked on all my motorcycles all my life all different makes, all different models. Also all my cars, and trucks. Now you might say well this is a different ball game these are diesels. Let me remind you.. you are not working on the space shuttle. Although the repairman charge like they are working for NASA. I am so disenchanted and it's just me. I bought this because I am an ex performing musician who is spent many hours, days, months on tour buses touring. And I thought why not. Until I meant with all the Badness and ugliness.. I'm not just talkin repair. I'm talking about like I said the subculture clicks. You can go to a run-down RV Park and they will still pull this "we don't take anything older than 10 years". My coach is beautiful and they should be lucky but I would even want to plant it in those places. Well one of my friends has a lot more experience with these things than I myself as he grew up around them. And he told me that there is just their get down so they can see you first and kind of sus you up. And then when making millions of phone calls and finally Maybe thinking I might be able to make this work.. only to call back and get a different price and different information from a different employee at the RV Park. Boondocking it's just ridiculous. I really don't want to put that kind of stress on the systems of the bus, when I know it would be so much easier if I had hookups. I'm just letting you know any of you that are thinking about doing this. A lot of people will paint a pretty picture of it .. and it can be.. if you are fortunate enough to have a place where you can plant your home on wheels.. but if you're not so lucky like me, and 60 years old where things are getting not easier but much harder... you might want to think twice about it. Because I never thought that people running RV parks could be so bourgeois. It just makes me sick that people are not kinder to each other.. especially in times of such uncertainty. They even look at newcomers, like they are bringing the coronavirus to them. Perfect mentalities for witch hunts. I have nowhere to go with this 40 foot home. And I'm being threatened by The Police Every Day that they will tow it and take it away from me. I'm sure there are many good people out there and many that belong to this site. And I wish you all well.. but I am in Los Angeles and finding genuinely, caring people that want to help.. is very few and far in-between.

Take care all, be healthy
Your friend Bongoloid
Bongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well I had to read all the way to the end of this thing to understand the problem. You’re in LA!

I never had any of these problems and two coaches ago I was driving a 20 year old Class C I affectionately called “The Turd” because it was beyond polishing. Still never had those issues. I’d be parked next to a coach that cost more than my house and my neighbors house combined and still be treated like one of the gang. Never got turned away from an RV park, but I don’t go for the resort type places either.

The one time I did got to a resort ($115/night) with my next coach (10 year old a Bay Star) they never asked how old it was and never even looked at it. Just took my money and gave me a perfect site where I could relax and my three Grandmonsters wouldn’t bother anyone

I know my initial statement might seem a bit flippant (or dismissive as all my psychologist friends label me, dismissively I might add) but honestly you are in the wrong place for what you are trying to do. Head down to FOY by the Salton Sea, out to Emma Woods above Ventura, or any of hundreds of other places away from LA, and you’ll change your opinions forever.

And I think you might be placing too much emphasis on the 10 year old rule. It’s not out of meanness; it’s about maintaining a certain standard and choosing a number makes it easier to enforce, even if they have to turn away a lot of nice coaches. They probably aren’t thrilled about it either.

So just as you would like to see a little empathy, try to have some as well, broaden your horizons, and if you aren’t stuck in LA for some other reason, get that old gal out on the road and see what it’s really like.

Wishin you all the best....Cheers!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Run far, run fast...

IMHO if you were to leave LA (California for that matter) you would find the lifestyle very satisfying.Why own one one of these behemoths and move it around a huge city? Get a job driving a metro bus instead- at least you'd be paid for the aggravation.
It's a big country out there, go explore it!
Old 09-05-2020, 06:33 AM   #4

Agree with others here. I have had our motor home for several years and have traveled throughout many states and no RV Park has ever asked me how old my rig was.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Also on that Norcold, find someone that understands them, and get it fixed rather than trying to remove and replace the thing. They last forever with some maintenance, are incredibly efficient, and the propane option for refrigeration provides a lot more camping flexibility. You might even discover the joys of boondocking. Anyway it’s just a system made up of parts and easily mastered. It doesn’t have to be some anathema that becomes the band of your RV experience.

And as far as California goes it has so much to offer without going very far that you are in fact very well placed to actually enjoy your RV. Just drive a hundred miles in any direction (well except maybe west) and it will be nirvana...
Old 09-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

Sounds like with your skill set, you need to open a new RV park where you can be warm and welcoming to everyone! Also maybe an RV repair shop where you can charge half what everyone else is charging! You'll have customers stacking up in your driveway, filling up that RV park waiting to have repairs done at what you consider a reasonable price! Sounds like a great 2nd retirement.

Seriously, get out and USE the thing. You don't have to get out of California, but at least get out of the urban grind there.

We've been RV'ing off and on for 25 years, only been turned away from one park because of age limit. And our coach was much nicer looking than the one behind us that was only 4 years old! Whatever, their park, their rules. Move on and enjoy life!
If the Nevercold is the only thing that is wrong with your new to you coach, you did really well. Replace it with a residential, and enjoy rock hard ice cream. You might find that if you remove the fridge door, and possibly remove the passenger seat, it MAY go though the entry door. If not, removing a replacing a windshield to get the old one out/new one in, will be WAY cheaper than repairing an old nevercold. And the residential probably won't catch fire and explode without warning and burn down your coach!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Trying to RV in any major metropolitan area is almost impossible as you are finding out. Land is just too expensive to use for RVs. The land that is used for RV parks generally restrict you to high end rigs and expensive rates. Why? Because they can and it gives them a better return on their expensive fixed costs. You would find the same thing in Dallas or Minneapolis or Atlanta. You need to get out of the city and even the suburbs if you are committed to RVing. If you are committed to LA, it will be tough. I am sorry you are having so many issues.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me, the first step would be to get the heck out of California!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on the fence here, cause I mostly agree with the other replies but also sense a lot of truth in Bongoloid's complaint. Yes, RVs can involve issues that even a modicum of design forethought could have made easier. Yes, RV shops are nearly all outrageously overpriced for low tech and low quality work, and yes there are some RV parks that go overboard on rules & regulations. Some of that you can avoid (these things have wheels, right?), but some of it you just need to be willing to go with the flow or you will soon be tearing your hair out.

Bongoloid's lifestyle expectations are clearly not being met and he cannot enjoy his Panther in the present environment. Getting away from a major metro area like LA would probably help, but maybe LA is where he wants to be to fulfill other life goals. I suspect he simply isn't cut out for the RV life.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #10

I'm having one of my slow days. Now, about my husband, if he even jokes about getting either a buzz cut or a tattoo it will be time to have a serious talk with his doctor because something is seriously misfiring in his head.

We are not handy and DH does not work on vehicles. We are fortunate to have local shops that are no more expensive than the car dealerships with their draconian rates. We also have cultivated a relationship with a local RV tech who helps us out on weekends with all the jobs people on the boards insist we must be willing to do if we are going to be proper RV owners. I guess we weren't cut out to be proper. I will do many things and have even replaced the starter on an old car, but I draw the line at climbing on top of the motor home!

I agree about the little cliques and groups, fortunately we've only experienced it a few times. We mostly stay in state parks and other less resort like parks. The closest we come to boondocking is when we overnight at a Cracker Barrel or Flying J truck stop.

Sorry about your refrigerator, I hope some of the suggestions above will help.

About LA, do you need to live there? Are you full time in your motor home? Sorry, I got a little lost in all the words. We have done research on areas surrounding LA for a future visit and realize we will have to be a ways out of the city during our visit.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
I'm having one of my slow days. Now, about my husband, if he even jokes about getting either a buzz cut or a tattoo it will be time to have a serious talk with his doctor because something is seriously misfiring in his head.

We are not handy and DH does not work on vehicles. We are fortunate to have local shops that are no more expensive than the car dealerships with their draconian rates. We also have cultivated a relationship with a local RV tech who helps us out on weekends with all the jobs people on the boards insist we must be willing to do if we are going to be proper RV owners. I guess we weren't cut out to be proper. I will do many things and have even replaced the starter on an old car, but I draw the line at climbing on top of the motor home!

I agree about the little cliques and groups, fortunately we've only experienced it a few times. We mostly stay in state parks and other less resort like parks. The closest we come to boondocking is when we overnight at a Cracker Barrel or Flying J truck stop.

Sorry about your refrigerator, I hope some of the suggestions above will help.

About LA, do you need to live there? Are you full time in your motor home? Sorry, I got a little lost in all the words. We have done research on areas surrounding LA for a future visit and realize we will have to be a ways out of the city during our visit.

Good luck, keep us posted!
So firstly, draconian...yeah - it fits. Had to think about it.

Secondly - Porper? A slippery animal to be sure.

Lastly (because I’m skipping a couple), my feeling about this is evolving, not the least of which in lieu of OP input, but I’m thinking borderline homeless, stuck in an RV, in a pretty much unforgiving, unfriendly, and uncaring city. Sounds like purgatory....

Am I close? Id love to caravan with the OP to greener pastures....I’ll bring my guitar.

And a few bottles of wine - always had some mighty fine wine.....

Joy to the World muchachos....
Old 09-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #12

We got our Nevercold out the front door of our coach by myself.

Beyond that, you will usually find that people give you the same level of respect that you afford them.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #13

Let me get this straight... You spent years as a musician touring in an Rv and you just now figured out that they can have big, expensive problems?
You can work on all your own vehicles except your RV?
And yes, we're not homogenous. We come from many backgrounds, races, creeds, lifestyles and sexes. Just like real life.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoloid View Post
A lot of people will paint a pretty picture of it .. and it can be.. if you are fortunate enough to have a place where you can plant your home on wheels.. but if you're not so lucky like me, and 60 years old where things are getting not easier but much harder...
I just applied for Medicare and I’m enjoying the work involved in an RV. And... I did get a tattoo for my 25th anniversary from my wife. Never want to stop learning and having an RV forces you to.