Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #15

Upstate NY - looking at 2 days when it will go above freezing in February... ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A few years back we had a microburst come through our neighborhood and it took out power for three days. Fortunately it was summer. I ran an extension cord from the motorhome into house to feed the fish tanks and the fridge and a few lights. The generator ran nonstop for the three days and saved our fish!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Neither do I.

I can do the same right now if needed and the coach is winterized.
I think he had the heater going in the coach and if it'd had been winterized it would have been totally cold.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #18

Well its -30 outside this morning , doubt the generator in the RV would even start. Other than a heated storage , there would be no way to keep my RV warm enough to prevent freezing the water system. Even with the propane furnace and 2 heating AC units , it would take quite a while to get it comfortable inside.
For power failures , I got a nice big 60 yr old diesel genset in a dedicated building wired through a 200amp transfer switch which easily runs the house and shop.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did it differently than you when I had a house.
Had electrician install proper Generator Transfer Panel in basement next to main upgraded breaker box (The upgrade there has nothign to do with this)

Installed special 3o/30 amp outlet on motor home (Twist lock with a pair of TT-30s' as well for neighbors in case of need. used those too)

When I got home ... Middle of winter (Dec 31 as I recall, may have been Jan 1) and found Frosty the air blown inflatable snowman sleeping on the job I went down and got special cord, plugged outlet onto inlet on back of house, uncoiling as I walked plugged into outlet on Motor home.. Went inside and got Gen-Turi and installed the part you take down, went back in and pushed the switch in the approved pattern, listened for the CLUNK of the ATS, back to the basement and ...

Click LIGHTS (Basement type) CLICK Furnace (I mean it was cold out)
Click Electronics (Computer/internet)
More clicks more electronics, fridge, freezer, microwave and more lights.

ONE LIGHT (A rarley used hall light, do not really need a light there but theey put one there) Is NOT on the transfer panel. only on the MAINS.. Went up and turned on the switch for that light.

When the hall light came on back to teh basement and return switches to MAINS. back to the Motor home and push STOP button. leave cord connected for NEXT fail.

MH was fully winterized.. No part of winterization affects the Genny. EXCEPT for the Gasoline (in my case) or Diesel. Not so much with D, but with Gas in the area I lived they sold both Summer and Winter gas so I filled the tank just before parking for the winter. That way I got "Winter blend" which works well in Jan, Summer blend is ok in a Injected engine but not for the Genny.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
SWMBO came and woke me up to our power being out (1030 AM). I walked outside to see that our neighbors automatic generator was running and I then got the text message from the power company with a 3 PM estimated restoration time. I went and fired up the genny, ran a drop cord into the house so she could resume working from home, grabbed breakfast stuff and retreated to the coach. So, here I am in the 73 degree coach with the the dogs, belly full and dogs chillin' and TV on. This is also good time for our newest puppy, "Reid" to get acquainted with the inside of the coach since his first trip is next weekend.
So, what did you do that you couldn't have done in a winterized motorhome?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #21

Had instant clean hot water and had a comfortable interior temp in minutes, then not having the hassle of blowing out or re-winterizing after the short use.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Had instant clean hot water and had a comfortable interior temp in minutes, then not having the hassle of blowing out or re-winterizing after the short use.
So, you started the MH genny, plugged in your wife's equipment so she could work in a cold house and then retreated to your cozy little nest curled up with your pets?
I winterize because my MH would not survive the winters we have up here otherwise. My backup plan is an automatic 16,000 W. propane powered standby generator.
Lynn
Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
So, you started the MH genny, plugged in your wife's equipment so she could work in a cold house and then retreated to your cozy little nest curled up with your pets?
I winterize because my MH would not survive the winters we have up here otherwise. My backup plan is an automatic 16,000 W. propane powered standby generator.
Lynn
Naah, it only got down to 66 before the power came back on. I could have ran a second one and switched the furnace to gas if she had wanted, but that room stays warmer anyway. She would have taken a shower and went in rather than move everything twice.

Tags
winter