Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2023, 08:27 PM   #43

'Dark Sky' (International Association) and 'Night Sky' (National Park Service) are a little different. For 'Dark Sky' you can have restricting lighting- lots of 'standards'.

First time I've heard of an actual 'Dark Sky' camping area with obnoxious parking lot lights. Even a building's inside lights must be dimmed or non-obtrusive, outside lights point straight down, etc.

As mentioned before, the RV with lots of lights may be 'city folks'. Every notice that sometimes when they move to the country they cover their land with lights?

If bothered, I close my shades so I can enjoy all of the electronics led lights that I've covered with blue tape.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2023, 04:39 AM   #44

I bet he forgot to turn lights off, if they are on during the day he certainly did. I have turned outside light on if we are coming back at night then get up in morning and realized left on all night.
Jons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:06 AM   #45

We're snowbirding in an RV park right now. Speaking of big diesel pushers... At 5:00 AM the other morning, a class A fired up its engine. If that wasn't bad enough, he backed out of his site with the backup beeper going off. We don't see that extreme very often, but it happens.
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:06 AM   #46

You never know about what the other person may have going on. Maybe the 5am person got a bad phone call and had to get on the road ASAP. Maybe the guy with the massive New Aire (smallest DP they make) had a mechanical issue on the side of the road and got in late and was so stressed out he forgot the lights.

The poop bath was the igniter and your mood was on high alert for another reason to fire up.

Wife and I always say life is an adventure whether good or bad.

Crack the grey first.

Peace
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
It's a fact, city people are scared of the dark and leave lights on all night long. City people and country folks will never coexist.
Yup.
We noticed that, too.
BTB,
We travel with long-term caravan chums.
We -- all of us -- prefer places without a cellular telephone signal.
How do we find such pristine boondocks?
We visit a cellular telephone store, they usually have a yuge map of the places we like.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKwilli View Post
We're snowbirding in an RV park right now. Speaking of big diesel pushers... At 5:00 AM the other morning, a class A fired up its engine. If that wasn't bad enough, he backed out of his site with the backup beeper going off. We don't see that extreme very often, but it happens.
Why is that extreme? He had to fire the engine and back out. The backup beeper cannot be turned off from the driver's seat.

Some of us drive 500 to 600 miles a day at times and prefer to get an early start.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Why is that extreme? He had to fire the engine and back out. The backup beeper cannot be turned off from the driver's seat.

Some of us drive 500 to 600 miles a day at times and prefer to get an early start.
I agree! I have frequently pulled out 5:00 - 6:00 am in order to get an early jump on a long driving day. Not uncommon at all for I see others doing the same all the time.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Some folks would say that unless you are sleeping on top of a tarp on the bare ground, then you are not camping.

How about sleeping under a shower curtain?

RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #51

Quote:

To be fair, 5:00am is typically still within quiet hours for most campgrounds. While the engine would not be bothersome to me, the backup beeping would be quite annoying at 5:00am. But I don't live in a big city where that is just part of my environment, so I might be more sensitive than some to that.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #52

Spartan Chassis
I suspect that the guy in the New Aire just forgot to turn off the lights. I admit that I have forgotten but realized it within an hour when I looked outside and quickly turned them off. They are called "Docking Lights" for a reason. I would have asked the guy politely to please turn them off. If he refused, then I would have went to the office. I have stayed in places that had "no outside lights on after 10 PM" in the rules. Obviously they are had a reason for the rule. Love those places. On another note, there's a reason why we have blackout shades. We've camped in Alaska during the summer.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:09 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like an awful lot of other folks, we use the RV to travel, not to camp. At least most of the time anyway. So for us the coach is an alternative to a hotel room, not an alternative to a tent.

I see a lot of comments along the lines of "you are not really camping in a big DP". But you see, that is entirely the point. A large segment of RV owners use them to travel, not to camp. This is well understood by the manufactures of these behemoths but still apparently misunderstood by the self-appointed camping police.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellville View Post
Like an awful lot of other folks, we use the RV to travel, not to camp. At least most of the time anyway. So for us the coach is an alternative to a hotel room, not an alternative to a tent.

I see a lot of comments along the lines of "you are not really camping in a big DP". But you see, that is entirely the point. A large segment of RV owners use them to travel, not to camp. This is well understood by the manufactures of these behemoths but still apparently misunderstood by the self-appointed camping police.
Agreed, I didn’t work most of my life to live in a tent, not even for one night.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #55

You think RV'ers are inconsiderate? Go to any boat ramp on a weekend and get back with us
Old 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
......dump one of our gray tanks first and with the partially open valve to make sure our sewer line is secure and the dump is not blocked/backed-up.
You know I have never done this, but will in the future.
I love simple tips, yet feel dumb for not thinking of them.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Custom 6.6 Gas
Doss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park